Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
292 posts

Re: Why Did This Game Flop So Hard?

Aug 5, 2012
Seriously like IRESS said, if SPACENUN buys it than your good. : )
Message 21 of 35 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
514 posts

Aug 5, 2012

PastyNerd wrote:

I remember when it was announced, I was looking forward to it, because the previews looked interesting. I read that as of june or july (I forgot), it only sold around one-hundred something thousand.

I read that the voip is partially broken, and spawn camping is a serious issue. I got bored of Battlefield 3. Also, Uncharted 3's matchmaking is the worst in video game history, so I don't really play that much anymore either.

I was kind of looking for another "main" multiplayer game, and this looked interesting. So, uh... what happened?

Starhawk flopped because of the noobification job lightbox did on it. .Snap-aim sucks, circles around enemy opponents 

so that you can keep up with them in the air. Weak flight modes, canned dodgeing, no capturable bases. Weak gamplay

gound and air.  IMO that's why this game flopped. No challenge for players coming over from warhawk, warhawk is just

the opposite, takes time to gain your skill, air and ground can be difficult to master, warhawk keeps ya coming back for

the challenge. Starhawk i got bored with it at the beta level. 

068 Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 22 of 35 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5708 posts

Aug 5, 2012
1. It's a third person shooter
2. There are better shooters out and in beta (dust 514 and next week planet side 2, and several other shooters because the market is saturated)
3. No one wants to play because they just get trashed by some warhawk vet with 1000 hours. (also a reason why dust 514 will have a low player base.)
4. Because not warhawk 2.
5. Some don't like playing games where the host has an inherit advantage over everyone because no lag.
6. Because when people buy a game, telling them "to wait for the patch" is one of the most idiotic things you can do. Either make the game work out of the box, or don't release it. (lol Bethesda worst offender in game history)
7. Like I said. Playerbase is self destructive. Everytime one of you hawk vets go 30-0 vs noobs chances are you are making them want to quit. And when you do that in a beta you deter them from buying the game.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 23 of 35 (220 Views)
Sackboy
379 posts

Aug 5, 2012

I personally don't understand why guys who consider themselves gamers rage quit (referring to the 30-0 warhawk vet versus noobs comment). I started playing Warhawk relatively late, and because of that, by the time I joined there were already very good pilots. So what'd I do? I became a great tank player so that I could get kills. I worked hard to later become a decent pilot.

Instead I always hear "I lost a game badly, let me quit and never play again." Drama queens. Unless you're constantly outnumbered, try to figure out a way to kill that guy!! If a guy went 30-0 against me in a game, I will do ANYTHING to kill him in the next game. People have to learn honor and determination. Win some respect from somebody.

Message 24 of 35 (202 Views)
Sackboy
379 posts

Aug 5, 2012
But to actually address the question, marketing and bugs. Simple enough. Nobody knew about the game, and those who do know about it hate having their ps3 crash several times a day. I personally am not playing anywhere near as much because when I do have the time, I don't want to risk having my ps3 die for good every time I play Starhawk. Last time during the system check/restore, it got stuck at 40% for like 2 minutes and in my heart I honestly believed I'd have to get a new ps3 or something. Not fun. I have the old one, so it'd be hard to replace it.
Message 25 of 35 (198 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5708 posts

Aug 5, 2012
Unfortunately that is how gamers are now. This new generation (teens) mostly want things easy and handed to them. Mostly. Know there are some great little gamers in the age group.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 26 of 35 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
171 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
1. It's a third person shooter
2. There are better shooters out and in beta (dust 514 and next week planet side 2, and several other shooters because the market is saturated)
3. No one wants to play because they just get trashed by some warhawk vet with 1000 hours. (also a reason why dust 514 will have a low player base.)
4. Because not warhawk 2.
5. Some don't like playing games where the host has an inherit advantage over everyone because no lag.
6. Because when people buy a game, telling them "to wait for the patch" is one of the most idiotic things you can do. Either make the game work out of the box, or don't release it. (lol Bethesda worst offender in game history)
7. Like I said. Playerbase is self destructive. Everytime one of you hawk vets go 30-0 vs noobs chances are you are making them want to quit. And when you do that in a beta you deter them from buying the game.

8. Too predictable. 1-2 things are superior to everything else.

Message 27 of 35 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Pistol Proficinado
590 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
Unfortunately that is how gamers are now. This new generation (teens) mostly want things easy and handed to them. Mostly. Know there are some great little gamers in the age group.

You're right (and this game does have a steep online learning curve).

But you also have another type of gamer who love to constantly anihilate new players who are not really familiar with the game (probably to satisfy their ego or give them a kind of sense of self-worth). I guess few people like to remain in a 25 min base rapes / spawn campest just to satisfy the other team's ego. This will also hurt the community since in order to want to improve at the game, you must first have fun playing it. Taking base rapes after base rapes so you can eventually base rape newer players is not what some people consider fun.

The best example I can give you is Dark Souls. Since invasion / coop is based on the character level, you had players who purpously didn't level up their characters so they could invade low level players while having end game equipment thus make them nearly invicible while have the ability to one shot the other player even through a shield (once a glitch was found that allowed to transfer equipment to a new character, things got even worse). They even let the "victim" hit them knowing it would barely damage them and even taunted the player with a "Well, what is it?" gesture. The end result of that behavior: You could barely find anyone to coop with a the lower level areas, people disconnected from PSN when you invaded them (even guenuine low level equipement), or you ended up summoning for coop players who where equiped to deal with those griefers, but they overpowered every enmy in the area and killed the boss in 4-5 shot at most thus removing all challenge from the game (naturally you could also counter them by doing the same, but you would break the difficulty of the game). It killed the online portion of the game a lower levels. It's realy not ideal when you need a certain player base for the online to be enjoyable.

Message 28 of 35 (163 Views)
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Aug 5, 2012
TzarChasm your points are very valid. I never considered it before but it makes sense.
Message 29 of 35 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Aug 5, 2012
7. Like I said. Playerbase is self destructive. Everytime one of you hawk vets go 30-0 vs noobs chances are you are making them want to quit. And when you do that in a beta you deter them from buying the game. This is so true. I have encounter more unbalance games than balance and the devs are still pending patch with an unspecified release date.
Message 30 of 35 (150 Views)
0 Likes