Monster Hunter
29 posts

Re: Why Did This Game Flop So Hard?

Aug 5, 2012

TzarChasm wrote:

1)  Enemy players are clearly marked by a giant red triangle floating over their heads, at any range across the map as long as there are no obstructions in your line of sight.  You're practically fed a "SNIPE HERE!" prompt at any distance.  These arrows appear to foot soldiers, tank drivers, and Hawk pilots alike, basically ruining the ground game entirely.

2)  Likewise, enemy Hawk pilots at any range are highlighted by faint circles, provided unbroken line of sight.  This means that you can track Hawks that are so far off you can't actually see them against the background just by watching for the circles.

3)  During dogfights if an enemy you have targeted pulls out of your field of view, you receive a humongous "THEY WENT HERE!" arrow that rotates to follow their flight path.

4)  When you're respawning in a drop pod the targeting reticle that shows you where you're going to land is also visible to enemy players in your spawn radius.  This means that you're extremely unlikely to get a kill with it, since even foot soldiers can outmaneuver a drop pod—then stand there, aiming at you, until you come out.  You're a sitting duck if you don't have backup.

5)  Tank mortars also display on-screen targeting reticles, showing enemies where the shot will land.  There's no element of surprise; you forecast your artillery strike to your foes before it even fires off.

6)  The sniper rifle has no scope wobble, fires without any kick whatsoever (because it's a rail cannon), and has a three-shot capacity that can be fired off quite rapidly.  It also paints a laser sight all the way across the map, giving away your position to everyone looking in your general direction.  (As if the big red triangle hadn't done it already.)

7)  All Hawk flight modes have pre-canned dodges that until recently were virtually guaranteed to be 100% effective against MAW (troop launched) missiles, Hawk homing missiles, and Swarm Lasers.  Prior to the last patch, flight was so easy to dodge in that virtually nobody used missiles.  The preferred weapons were the one-to-two-hit-kill Flak Cannon (a midair shotgun) and machine guns.

8)  Turrets (both anti-infantry and ground-to-air) are fully automated, and have both tremendous damage outputs and remarkable accuracy.  They are also much harder to aim at than they were in Warhawk, and you cannot lock missiles onto them.  Oh yeah: they also have about sixty times the armor that they used to.  What this amounts to is a tremendous handicap against all but the best pilots, provided a team **bleep** enough Rift energy to put about ten of these down in a cluster.  On many maps, turrets placed in the center of the battleground can reach to within a few yards of spawn points.  They're great for stat padding, and even have aim assist when manually controlled.  (Why you'd want to waste your time actually earning your own kills is beyond me, though.)

Ugh... I'd originally intended to write a hell of a lot more than this, but I'm already so depressed that I can't go on.  I think I'm going to go drink a pint of Guinness... or paint thinner, whichever dulls the pain in my heart first.

“But you also have another type of gamer who love to constantly anihilate new players who are not really familiar with the game (probably to satisfy their ego or give them a kind of sense of self-worth). I guess few people like to remain in a 25 min base rapes / spawn campest just to satisfy the other team's ego. This will also hurt the community since in order to want to improve at the game, you must first have fun playing it. Taking base rapes after base rapes so you can eventually base rape newer players is not what some people consider fun.

The best example I can give you is Dark Souls. Since invasion / coop is based on the character level, you had players who purpously didn't level up their characters so they could invade low level players while having end game equipment thus make them nearly invicible while have the ability to one shot the other player even through a shield (once a glitch was found that allowed to transfer equipment to a new character, things got even worse). They even let the "victim" hit them knowing it would barely damage them and even taunted the player with a "Well, what is it?" gesture. The end result of that behavior: You could barely find anyone to coop with a the lower level areas, people disconnected from PSN when you invaded them (even guenuine low level equipement), or you ended up summoning for coop players who where equiped to deal with those griefers, but they overpowered every enmy in the area and killed the boss in 4-5 shot at most thus removing all challenge from the game (naturally you could also counter them by doing the same, but you would break the difficulty of the game). It killed the online portion of the game a lower levels. It's realy not ideal when you need a certain player base for the online to be enjoyable.”

“1. It's a third person shooter
2. There are better shooters out and in beta (dust 514 and next week planet side 2, and several other shooters because the market is saturated)
3. No one wants to play because they just get trashed by some warhawk vet with 1000 hours. (also a reason why dust 514 will have a low player base.)
4. Because not warhawk 2.
5. Some don't like playing games where the host has an inherit advantage over everyone because no lag.
6. Because when people buy a game, telling them "to wait for the patch" is one of the most idiotic things you can do. Either make the game work out of the box, or don't release it. (lol Bethesda worst offender in game history)
7. Like I said. Playerbase is self destructive. Everytime one of you hawk vets go 30-0 vs noobs chances are you are making them want to quit. And when you do that in a beta you deter them from buying the game.”

These were some good posts. I agree with how destructive the player base can be. In Uncharted 3, many of the multiple prestige, max-level, no-life guys turn the DLC toggle off, and don't play the game unless they have a party of five (I've confirmed this over at the Uncharted forum).

They do this, because it lets them stack the room against random new players who don't know where the "power weapons (one or two shot weapons)" spawn on the map. In addition, they tend to wall-camp in groups.

When you stack the room with a party of five, the game seems to only match you with lower level players. Likewise, if you play by yourself, the game throws new players on your team, while facing parties/clans of Uncharted addicts. Also, newer players are less likely to invest in DLC, so instead of playing people of their own level, the addicts turn their DLC toggle off, so they can play against new players.

Lastly, the matchmaking is broken. I've already stated how it creates unfair matches, but it also creates laggy matches. Seven times out of ten, the game matches you up with mexicans, which causes the game to be extremely laggy; IE: melee killing each other at the same time, hit detection is off, players taking 33% more damage before death, getting awarded random kills minutes after losing a shoot out, etc. I guess it matches you up with mexicans, because the player count is really low.

I am an attention wh0re who has no life outside of gaming. This is why I post my Speedtest.net results, Platinum trophy count, TV size, KDR, and the games that I am currently playing in my signature.
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 35 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1765 posts

Aug 5, 2012
I did not read all the other posts. The reason it has not done well is that the game was released in a very unfinished state. There are also some core gameplay aspects that will likely never change (eg, map utilization, ability to lock an enemy team into thier base once their assets are destroyed). It is a shame, because this game could have been so much more.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 35 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
25 posts

Aug 5, 2012
I guess Ive had too much fun on Starhawk to know what the hell you guys are talking about.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 35 (118 Views)
Pistol Proficinado
586 posts

Aug 6, 2012

Anheuser wrote:
I guess Ive had too much fun on Starhawk to know what the hell you guys are talking about.

We're still having fun (at least I am), after all we are posting the official forums dedicated to the game.

We're just discussing some behaviors of the current player base that can drive off new players thus preventing the player base from growing.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 35 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2248 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 6, 2012

Nice points Chasm. All things that led to the noobification but that isn't the main problem we all know and love.

I have some hope for this game. I have seen some fanbases resurrected from good sales and PS Plus freebies. I think if the patch coincides with a 29.99 sale or pricepoint these guys might have some luck in advancing sales. It will still be tough but it's possible. 1.04 should be the decision maker. If they at least fix most of the glitches and make their servers tight and balanced I will look into getting this for sure. I am definitely waiting for 1.04 though.

30 dollars is still a lot to me for a game that looked like absolute dogpooh in so many areas during the betas. I want to like this game. I do. But time is wearing thin for a lot of the masses. 20 bucks and I would probably grab this after 1.03 just for kicks. Maybe.

It all comes down to competition for me. I don't want to play all noob teams and I don't want to play on stacked teams. That is why I don't have time for this presently. I am for sure probably never going to spend the amount of time I did in WH as that was my first major online game and it blew my mind. I guess if this was a little more similar I might have to eat my words tho.

Dark Souls was just full of idiots who thought they were gods. Online in that game was kind of broken anyway lol. The balance was a bit off.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 35 (73 Views)
0 Likes