Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 14 2011
By: phantompirate7 First Son 2 posts

PS3 Certain Games have glitch issues

3 replies 1862 views Edited Dec 14, 2011

Hello everyone,

For the past 6 months or so, maybe longer, my Ps3 has begun acting wonky with certain games. The biggest example being "Assassin's Creed" - I could only get to a certain level before the game would freeze and was not able to get past that point at all. The game also experienced the whole background scenary becoming scrambled, and huge giant spikes shooting out of characters arms. I tried un-installing and re-installing for that game, trying without the patch download, and still no dice. The weird thing is with this game, is that my brother played and beat it about a 1yr or so ago with no problems.

I've also experienced the giant spike issue with a few other games, Lego Pirates and Dead Rising 2, off the top of my head.

One of the other things that happens, with Uncharted 3,  is there are quick white flashes in the background of the game occasionally.

I have a bigger size 80GB PS3, which I upgraded to a 500GB hard drive, about a year ago. I read replacing the thermal paste could be the solution, and I tried that after my experience with "Assassin's Creed" and the exreme glitchyness continued on that game (and other odd experiences listed above).

I have wondered if i might be the Blu-Ray drive, but movies play great in it!

Has anyone had any similar problems, and if so, any tips on how to fix the problem, or is my PS3 on its last legs?

Thank you so much!!

~ Kelly

Message 1 of 4 (1,862 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15439 posts

Re: PS3 Certain Games have glitch issues

Dec 14, 2011

I don't think that the Blu-ray drive is the problem.  It is almost certainly something on the system board, probably heat related.  The PS3 runs hotter when it is playing a game than it does when it is just playing a video.  I don't think that you are likely to resolve the problem in the long run except by replacing the PS3, but you might try increasing the air flow to the system with a third-party cooling system to try to keep the system temperature down.

GKP
Message 2 of 4 (1,862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 14, 2011

Thanks so much for your response, I greatly appreciate it!

Do you have any rec'd for good cooling fans? and are USB powered ones a bad thing? I've heard good and bad.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4 (1,862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 8, 2012

I have just started to experience the same problem. Same system. Did you ever find out what the problem was, phantompirate7?

Message 4 of 4 (1,855 Views)
0 Likes