Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 16 2013
By: moblesuit75 PlayStation MVP 4403 posts

I am Alive or Last of Us

11 replies 1221 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

While I know I am Alive is currently available and Last of Us is yet to be released; can anyone tell me the following?

Given a choice, based on preliminary reviews of Last of Us, and any actual game play of I am alive, if you could only get one, which would it be?

Does anyone have any feedback or review of I am Alive, and is it worth getting regardless of the potential pros and cons between the two?

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (1,221 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10908 posts

Re: I am Alive or Last of Us

Jan 16, 2013

Recently, I've picked up I Am Alive. What I can tell you about the game is that it's not as up to par as I thought it might be. For one thing, the game on its hardest setting makes scaling beams or other objects very hard. That's not the worst of it, though. The game, overall, I think of as mediocre. The storytelling is one of the better parts; the gameplay is also somewhat interesting. It's hard to explain exactly without spoiling the experience. The game does get difficult though when you have to deal with multiple gunmen, and a slim chance to take them all out, especially considering that you might only be carrying limited supplies.

However, I Am Alive's worst problem is actually that the game doesn't always work as it should. I've tried starting the game on multiple accounts where the game won't load up and the system won't allow an exit from this technical error. Having to shut off the system and end up restoring after corrupted data isn't fun to sit through when you have no other choice. That's not to say the same would happen on your end... hopefully not, anyway. While I Am Alive isn't exactly a poor example of a game, and while it's not yet out yet, I would think going by the previews and reactions that The Last of Us would be the better game to get. It seems to have a stronger personality in the characterizations and the action. With I Am Alive you're backing away from trouble and figuring out how to survive against gangs of thugs. In The Last of Us you're using multiple persons to survive against both the living and the infected.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (1,218 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Jan 16, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Recently, I've picked up I Am Alive. What I can tell you about the game is that it's not as up to par as I thought it might be. For one thing, the game on its hardest setting makes scaling beams or other objects very hard. That's not the worst of it, though. The game, overall, I think of as mediocre. The storytelling is one of the better parts; the gameplay is also somewhat interesting. It's hard to explain exactly without spoiling the experience. The game does get difficult though when you have to deal with multiple gunmen, and a slim chance to take them all out, especially considering that you might only be carrying limited supplies.

However, I Am Alive's worst problem is actually that the game doesn't always work as it should. I've tried starting the game on multiple accounts where the game won't load up and the system won't allow an exit from this technical error. Having to shut off the system and end up restoring after corrupted data isn't fun to sit through when you have no other choice. That's not to say the same would happen on your end... hopefully not, anyway. While I Am Alive isn't exactly a poor example of a game, and while it's not yet out yet, I would think going by the previews and reactions that The Last of Us would be the better game to get. It seems to have a stronger personality in the characterizations and the action. With I Am Alive you're backing away from trouble and figuring out how to survive against gangs of thugs. In The Last of Us you're using multiple persons to survive against both the living and the infected.

Solid advice.  Thank you.

I think I will wait it out then, for The Last of Us.  Still; it does make a more realistic case, avoiding and hiding from danger in a World gone wrong, out numbered and under equipped.  Kind of reminds me of how hard RE1 was, on the most difficult setting.  It was very aggravating at times.

As far as the crash and load issues; I don't need that risk either.  My luck would be, it would crash my system completely, and I don't believe I could convince my wife that I should buy a new system.  She would rejoice at the death of my PS3.:smileysad:

Thank you for the advice though.  I have a thing for Survival/Apocalyptic games.  LOVE Dead Nation, but haven't picked it back up in a while.  Have not played Dead Island or Far Cry yet either.  Hopefully someday I will get those.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (1,216 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
13728 posts

Feb 4, 2013

here is what the game used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ6Aely9YrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUStOdDrBw8

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (1,155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 5, 2013
I can't wait for the last of us to come out, looks great.I'm also a huge fan of survival horror/action adventure Games. I'm having some trouble finding new titles to play though. Any recommendations?Does anyone know of any sort of search engine for video games? Something similar to the "music genome" of Pandora? I am looking for a way to list games I like and/or have played or ones I own, put them into some sort of library/que and then have the engine/Web site/app or whatever it is then populate a list of other games I might enjoy playing based off the list I provided
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (1,149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 5, 2013

GrimReaper4383 wrote:

here is what the game used to be.

I have seen those, that is one of the reasons I initially asked about the tow games.  Funny though, I had all but forgotten about this thread, it had been so long since someone replied.

As GrayGar said though, there seems to be some issues with the game play.  I will probably still get this one eventually, but it sounds like The Last of Us might provide for a better apocalyptic survival game.

I guess the jury is still out. Thank you for the response though.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (1,147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Tomass_469 wrote:
I can't wait for the last of us to come out, looks great.I'm also a huge fan of survival horror/action adventure Games. I'm having some trouble finding new titles to play though. Any recommendations?Does anyone know of any sort of search engine for video games? Something similar to the "music genome" of Pandora? I am looking for a way to list games I like and/or have played or ones I own, put them into some sort of library/que and then have the engine/Web site/app or whatever it is then populate a list of other games I might enjoy playing based off the list I provided

None that I am aware of.  I saw your individual thread asking the same question though.  Here or there will probably at least yield some suggestions on the games though.  Good luck.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11220 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

I would go with The Last of Us rather than with I Am Alive. The Last of Us seems to have a very strong narrative with interesting characters and an extremely tense atmosphere. I'm not sure if that's the case with I Am Alive. Here is some recent gameplay footage from The Last of Us:

If I could only purchase one video game and I had to choose between either The Last of Us or I Am Alive then I would go with the latter.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (1,138 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 7, 2013

That is spectacular SweetPoison.  Thank you for that.

I will definitely be picking that one up.  Compared to what I have seen on I am Alive, it is far and away a more exciting looking game, and would probably be the first game I cannot play alone in the dark since RE2.

I will probably still get I am Alive, but only when it is dirt cheap (not sure if that is the case already), after all, I am a sucker for Survival Horror games.  Aren't we all though.:smileylol:

The "infected" seem very intriguing.  As the person on the vid says, to this point they were only mentioned, but until I saw the clip you posted, the only game play I have seen has dealt with other "non-infected" enemies.

The infected almost seem like an excellent blend of T-Virus infected crossed with a little I am LEgend Rabies Freaks, and Rage infected from 28 days later.  A nice meld of all very good survival horror stories.

Best input so far SweetPoison.  Thanks again.  I am going to go watch that vid again.:smileyhappy:

Moble 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (1,125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Feb 18, 2013

DELAYED!?

I am Alive has been pushed back from May 7th to June 14th!

Article:smileysad:

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (1,085 Views)
0 Likes