Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 24 2013
By: GeorgeGianno First Son 19 posts

Silent Hill or Resident Evil and why ?

13 replies 751 views Edited Jun 24, 2013

I want to know which game is your favorite from these two .I love both SIlent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1 and a lot other games from these series but if i had to choose one would be Silent Hill because of the devil feeling and the scarry atmosphere.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (751 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10875 posts

Re: Silent Hill or Resident Evil and why ?

Jun 24, 2013

I'm a fan of both, but the early Silent Hill games are certainly a step up in the scare factor - especially Silent Hill 2. While Silent Hill is preferably immersed in a more frightening atmosphere, Resident Evil 4 is the game that boosted the survival ability to the maximum of excellence.

Either way you're going to get a great game from either franchise. Even the original Resident Evil made survival scary and a lot of fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (737 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Jun 24, 2013
I enjoy both, but I'm going to have to go with Resident Evil. The Silent Hill games may be scarier, but I think that the Resident Evil games are more fun to play.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (730 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jun 24, 2013

I like both, at least the classics. I recommend playing ONLY the Resident Evil games released from 1996-2005.  The rest are complete and utter garbage.

Same goes for Silent Hill. The only good silent hill games are the first 4. The rest are terrible. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (724 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11155 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

I enjoy the Silent Hill video games more than the Resident Evil ones (on average). This is especially true with the more recent Resident Evil installments which have this series turning into a generic third-person shooter series. I have heard wonderful things about Resident Evil: Revelations but I’m not sure if Capcom has anything to offer me anymore. With that being said, I’m not at all impressed with some of the Silent Hill video games.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (709 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jun 30, 2013

SweetPoison13 wrote:

I enjoy the Silent Hill video games more than the Resident Evil ones (on average). This is especially true with the more recent Resident Evil installments which have this series turning into a generic third-person shooter series. I have heard wonderful things about Resident Evil: Revelations but I’m not sure if Capcom has anything to offer me anymore. With that being said, I’m not at all impressed with some of the Silent Hill video games.

Im only angry with konami because they always keep destroying a good opportunity for the franchise.

Silent Hill Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Origins, Downpour, Book of memories and HD Collection all had potential.

Here is why for each:

Homecoming was being loved before release for being the first next gen silent hill. However, after release, the game was massively buggy, broken, and many story related content was cut. Some things in the story got removed, which causes plotholes for later parts. An entire chapter of the game was removed as well.

Shattered Memories was the chance to make a true Silent Hill Remake, but they failed. They decided, rather than a remake, to sully the name of the original by milking the characters and "Remixing" the story.

Origins could of been a great prequel, sadly, the game engine was crap, the game was buggy, and the storyline was garbage.

Downpour was being liked before release for its content and story. However, after release, the game was pretty much just like Homecoming. Massively buggy, broken combat and gameplay, etc. To this day even, hardcore silent hill fanboys keep "Protecting" the game when people say something bad. You say something bad about downpour on a SH forum, prepare to be blasted. 

HD Collection, i really dont have to explain. It was buggy, broken, and had changes to the game that broke the feel. Clean paved streets? This is supposed to be a dilapited town. Not some paradise.

Book of memories. I dont need to explain. What moron approved of this crap garbage?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (696 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

Personally I think the RE games are boring outside of 4 and 5 and they are only good for their combat that is really fun, the story and scaryness is still awful. As for Silent Hill, it always had worse combat than RE... but it absolutely demolishes it in everything else. I would say Silent Hill: Downpour (Way way past Silent Hill's prime) is scarier than any RE game including RE2 which I thought was the scariest RE game. The first 3 silent hill games are just in another league to RE games outside of 4, which is the only thing close to a classic in the RE series.

So way I see it.... SH2>SH1>RE4>SH3>>>>>The rest.

I think Silent Hill vs Fatal Frame is the much better match up. I think Silent Hill wins that too though.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Agree that the first 3 Resi and 2 on Gamecube(Zero,1 Remake)are great  and the best games.I didnt like so much Code Veronica because had some empty graphics in background and some enemies like Spiders who looking stupid with purple/green colours etc.I like a lot Resident Evil 4,5,6 and Revelations.I am not compare these with the old Survival Horror Games,but as games with the new style for me are great.If i have to choose,i will prefer the old style of course,but i really enjoyed the last games.Resi 4 has a very good atmosphere to some parts,Resi 5 is an third action good game,and Resi 6 is very interesting game because of different scenarios.All these 3 games are Hollywood games,this is the fault  for me.I prefer the Arklay atmosphere(No one from people outside knew about Zombies,Hunters,Tyrant etc back then)/Revelations had some very good ideas and moments(flashlight again and the last episode"Ghost Ship).

About SIlent Hill,my favorite are the first  four too,especially Silent Hill 1 and 2 with one of the best ever stories.SIlent Hill 3 has a very lively atmosphere(blood walls,sounds,rooms with traps like mirror etc)and SIlent Hill 4 very good new ideas and a Walter Sullivan who haunted people's dreams and reality...Origins i found it interest,out of story,as gameplay and places like Sanitarium.Shattered Memories is a stupid try to creates a remake of SIlent Hill 1(they are using same names and Harry Mason for example looks like a miserable man...)I left it after some time.Book Of Memories is the WORST game that Konami could create.Will never play this one...I hope to be the last like it.About Homecoming and Downpour now..Homecoming is a great game for me and has one of the most difficult and fav bosses(Scarlet)Is not like the first 4,but has a very good atmosphere(Sewers and the last level),some characters with dark personality and a new way in battles.Ths story was a copy of old ones,but wasnt bad.The thing that i didnt like is these guys(Order)from movie.I really dislike them to seeing in SH games.Finally About Downpour,the game has some good ideas that need  a lot of time to create a very good game.The game sucks at bosses and duration(Is very short),was full of glitches too.I like it less than Homecoming,but i saw all the endings.I like some ideas (Monastery,the theater-Origins had something like that with other way).And quests are not my style in these games.They must create a future game with better enemies,bosses.longer and with concentration on first games of the series.Or to stop here.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (671 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Resident Evil 1 for me has a great story,the best of all of the series,amazing music,different characters,nice looking bosses.Games like first three and Remake,Zero are diamonds.Are all of them claustrophobic,and you want to run away.I like Resident Evil 4,but cannot compare them personally with old games.

I like a lot Fatal Frame,i love Japanese horror,but people always saying about Resident Evil and Silent Hill as first Survival Horror games that they think when they hear"Survival Horror".All 3 Fatal Frame games are great for me,still remember nights to play and to feel like i am the main character.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (670 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2599 posts

Jul 1, 2013

GeorgeGianno wrote:

.I didnt like so much Code Veronica because had some empty graphics in background and some enemies like Spiders who looking stupid with purple/green colours ete.

I know exactly what you are talking about. But this was due to the jump to 3D in the franchise.

Pre Rendered backgrounds would able to render tons of high graphical rooms for RE 1,2 and 3. 
But with the 3D games (Only the early full 3D RE titles), they had issues getting many items on screen. 

See this:

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis- now thats some nice detail! Lovin the smashed blinds!

fff

Resident Evil Code Veronica- Oh veronica, why u so dull?

ddddw

This was all finally fixed in outbreak, because it just feels "Complete" compared to CV or Dead Aim:

feff

PS. Id love outbreak to be added to the store, WITH online play...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (660 Views)
0 Likes