Aug 17 2012
By: NefariousJester First Son 15 posts

Survival Horror for beginners

5 replies 270 views Edited Aug 17, 2012

Hello,

I'm actually interested in playing some survival horror games. However, I'm new to the genre; and as such, I'm not sure what game or games I should start out with. If you could give me a run down of some the the better ones (i.e. great story, great gameplay, etc.) it would be very much appreciated.

NefariousJester

Message 1 of 6 (270 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1039 posts

Re: Survival Horror for beginners

Jan 28, 2013
That depends on the style of gameplay and sub-genre you're looking for. There are survival horror shooters, those with RPG elements like dead island, dead rising is more on the comedic side of the genre but still fun...
Dead Island 1 & riptide (sequel): The reason I recommend dead island is because your claim to be kinda new to the genre and if you need a hand, you can team up with up to three other players online. It's has a leveling system, skill sets to work on, weapons you can mod, it's a decent zombie game.
Dead rising two is fun, a little old but fun you player with a friend.
Dead Space I found a little moreal difficult but it's is a great game as, far as I know. RE6 is decent but I consider it more of an action title.
 photo WSS-Reaper-LTB.png
Message 2 of 6 (209 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I thoroughly enjoy the Dead Space Franchise.

I have not played Dead Island yet, but intend to.  Far Cry is excellent as well.

I have moved beyond the RE Franchise.  I just don't like the control of it anymore.

I have heard I am Alive is OK, but has its issues.  I personally am waiting for The Last of Us to come out.  I hear, and read that it is going to be GREAT!

Moble

Message 3 of 6 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 30, 2013
Message 4 of 6 (199 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Actually, if you really want to do it right, you should find a way to play Resident Evil (RE) 1 through at least Code Veronica.  As well, Silent Hill (All).

These were the true ground breakers in the past. As well, FEAR EFFECT was awesome.

Of course these were PS and PS2 games collectively.  Not sure if you would be able to accomplish that.

Moble

Message 5 of 6 (193 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11742 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

NefariousJester wrote:

Hello,

I'm actually interested in playing some survival horror games. However, I'm new to the genre; and as such, I'm not sure what game or games I should start out with. If you could give me a run down of some the the better ones (i.e. great story, great gameplay, etc.) it would be very much appreciated.

NefariousJester

Do you want to play 7th generation survival horror titles? That might be more difficult because this generation isn’t exactly packed with them.

As someone mentioned previously, take a look at Silent Hill: Downpour. It doesn’t have the best gameplay in the world and the enemies in it are subpar for a Silent Hill video game but this video game can take you for a good ride if you can look past all of its frame rate issues.

Siren: Blood Curse (or Siren: New Translation) is another decent title. I’m not sure if I would recommend Silent Hill: Homecoming to someone who is looking to jump into the survival horror genre but it's an affordable title these days even if it isn't the best survival horror video game.

Two third-person shooter video games that I would recommend to new survival horror gamers are Dead Space and Resident Evil 4. If you like first-person shooter video games then feel free to check out some of those F.E.A.R. video games. Some of the best survival horror video games that I have played are older video games that offer more traditional survival horror experiences with tank-like controls and fixed camera angles. I don't know if this is your cup of tea. If it is then video games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil 2 can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)
0 Likes