Nov 15 2012
By: moblesuit75 PlayStation MVP 4402 posts
Accepted Solution

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Activision)

16 replies 3341 views Edited Nov 15, 2012

Will Activision's The Walking Dead; Survival Instinct live up to the standards, I am sure all, fans expect?

From the little I have seen, it is Darryl and Merl at the onset of the outbreak.  This may be a great way to see and play what the show only eludes to in random flashbacks.

I have only seen one trailer; it is all titles and does not show any game play yet.  If anyone has any preliminary game play, please add it here.

Additionally, I do not have the current The Walking Dead game on PS3, and I am frankly confused.  Is it a game, is it a digital comic?  Does it play like a FPS, or is it more like Myst, where you are on a "monorail" type systems, with only choices to make.  The descriptions are not very clear.  All I see is new episodes being released, lending to my confusion.  Perhaps I am misinterpreting two different things.  I would appreciate anyone's clarification.

What ever it is; is it worth getting, or do you think I should wait for the Activision title?

I appreciate any feedback, any input, and any insights.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (3,341 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Activision)

Nov 15, 2012

The Walking Dead on PSN is like an interactive movie. You have choices to make that'll affect the outcome but basically there are no wrong choices. I still think it's great and can't wait for Episode 5 to see how it all turns out. I even purchased the season pass so if my Plus membership lapses (doubtful) I'll still be able to enjoy it again if I chose.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (3,317 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Nov 16, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

The Walking Dead on PSN is like an interactive movie. You have choices to make that'll affect the outcome but basically there are no wrong choices. I still think it's great and can't wait for Episode 5 to see how it all turns out. I even purchased the season pass so if my Plus membership lapses (doubtful) I'll still be able to enjoy it again if I chose.

Sounds intriguing, but I think I would rather wait for whatever Activision has to offer then.  I missed my opportunity to get the current "Game"/Episodes for free through PLUS.  Kind of bummed.

I figured it was something like you have described ne1.  Doesn't sound bad, but just not what I really want.  I suppose the "Episodes" should have given that away though.

I am still tempted to get Left for Dead or Dead Island, but I am not sure they would be worth it.  Any feedback on those?

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (3,297 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

I liked Dead Island for the most part. I couldn't play it when my daughter was around because of all the bad language. I know it's supposed to be realistic but WOW even when they were safe the language. I liked how you were free to roam or play the story line. Lots of side missions. Upgradeable weapons. Vehicles. Not a bad game all in all. I played a little of Left for Dead on Xbox I think. Didn't seem bad but i guess I got a new game for the PS3 and let it gather dust. Maybe someone else can give a better review of that one.

Buy the season pass for the walking dead. I doubt you'll regret it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (3,293 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Nov 16, 2012

All good info.  I will definately consider it all.  Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (3,288 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46812 posts

Jan 7, 2013

I hope its going to be good because I plan on getting it, love that show :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (3,124 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1664 posts

Jan 10, 2013

As a fan of the television show, (will be buying many of the comics soon) I have to say that Telltale Games' Walking Dead is amazing.  If you're a fan of the show, you should play at least one episode.  It's very well done.  It's totally different than most anything you've played, but it's a better experience overall.

Survival Instinct is likely to be a CoD clone with zombies and some Merle and Daryl backstory.  You can only hope that Activision cared enough about the property to put it in the hands of a team that will treat the source material with dignity.  There's an outside chance that the Merle/Daryl narrative will be as good as it deserves to be, and given that Daryl's the best character on the show and Rooker is phenomenal as Merle, I certainly hope this is the case.

But yeah...most likely a CoD clone.  That sounds like the cheapest, quickest path of least resistance to rush out a full price product based on recent consumer demand...and that would be Activision's M.O. to a tea.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (3,110 Views)
First Son
23 posts

Feb 18, 2013

Like the Game but I wish they could of put in the option to invert the control Right stick as this is what I'm used to.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (2,870 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4390 posts

Feb 22, 2013

I've been a fan since the first night season 1 aired on Halloween night (never read the comics). When this game was announced I was very excited, but from watching some of the very scarce gameplay that's available for us to see, I don't know if it'll be worth the launch date price.

But I never expect much from Activision...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (2,796 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1031 posts

Feb 22, 2013

The game is so much fun omg

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (2,786 Views)
0 Likes