Feb 05 2010
By: Yoxiv9000 Splicer 62 posts

What if there was Suffering 3?

8 replies 45 views Edited Feb 5, 2010

Before Dead Space, The Suffering was probably one of the few, actually good non-Japanese made horror games. The Thing: The Game, Cold Fear, and Extermination were ok games in their own right, but usually failed for one reason or another. Granted, the same can be said for most J-Horror games, either from clunky controls, poor dubbing (it's most common factor), or a lack of actual fear. But The Suffering was surprisingly good. It had great atmosphere, making you feel like you're inside a prison. The music was done nicely, really enriching the feel rather than just playing some generic scare chord. And the creature design was superb (of course, Stan Winston couldn't do any wrong ). The less said about Ties that Bind, the better.

So if Midway, or a new developer, were to make another; what should be in it?

Here's what I think would be pretty cool additions:

1. A new character; Torque's journey (should have) ended in the first game. Maybe make the characer someone we can initially relate to, then as the story progresses begin to have doubts about (much like James in SH2, not being quite as he seems).

2. A more open world to explore; Silent Hill and Resident Evil have both used fairly large worlds to explore, and while Carnate Island had lots to see, it'd be neat to see a bigger place, like a rural town like the former.

3. New monsters; this is a given, but it'd be neat to see the creatures with inspiration from things like murder, abuse, and suicide. Of course, favorites like the Slayers should return, but everything else should be new. This would also bring in more strategy.

4. More strategy involved when fighting monsters and weapon options. I'm on the fence about the monster form, given that it would be lame to make another guy who thinks he's turning into a monster. Though perhaps something like dark persona/light persona could manifest.

5. Dynamic good/neutral/evil system. Like the original, how you interact with other people, whether you help/leave/kill them affects how your character's story unfolds.

6. Enviromental effects; say you're in a log cabin at a broken down camp, or just a wooden house in the middle of a forest. You could break holes in the floor to drop monsters to their death, or set fire to the whole thing and burn all the suckers. This could even be how you obtain some weapons. Inside a partially constructed building? Pick up a steel rod for a bludgeon, or shards of glass for shivs.

Anyone else got ideas about a possible sequel?

"Legends are much like tapestries; they erode and fade until truth and lies become indistinguishible." - Original quote.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 1 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Re: What if there was Suffering 3?

Feb 5, 2010
iT seems to me like you want to make it more rpg related this time and that makes it a little complex. I'm not even sure if i finished it bcuz all i remember is that on the last boss fight my ps2 kept on freezing constantly bcuz of the stupid game. All i really wish for if they do make a 3rd one to make it as good as the first bcuz the sequel sucked mayor balls.
Message Edited by RustedTruck on 02-04-2010 11:16 PM

I have actually been a member since mid 2006.
Spread the word folks...Demons Souls and Dark Souls cant be missed by anyone!
Message 2 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 5, 2010

How does it seem RPG-ish? What I'm aiming for is that you have more control over the character's personality rather than just "kill people; find out your a total **bleep**" versus "be nice and help others; discover your a misunderstood sap".

Which game are you refering to? The first or the second? 'Cause I know the second had a number of glitches and sometimes froze on me when I played. But now that I think about it, I do recall the original having a few complications. Of course the PC version was known for a number of bugs and issues.

"Legends are much like tapestries; they erode and fade until truth and lies become indistinguishible." - Original quote.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 3 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Feb 5, 2010
I was refering to The Suffering 2.

Message 4 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 6, 2010
Yea, the second game was crap. It ruined the story in so many ways (Torque was better a mute, the monsters could have just been figments, etc). Hopefully they'll do a sequel that properly does the name justice.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 5 of 9 (45 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6080 posts

Feb 6, 2010

Yoxiv9000 wrote:
Yea, the second game was crap. It ruined the story in so many ways (Torque was better a mute, the monsters could have just been figments, etc). Hopefully they'll do a sequel that properly does the name justice.

I agree 100 percent. Especially about Torque being mute. He was way better as the silent hero. Plus he had Michael Clarke Duncan's awful voice. MCD should have never been cast in that game. The whole game was a disappointment compared to the first. I don't think they'll make a third. Midway is all but dead and Surreal Entertaintment is working on a few different other games. Plus, don't quote me on this, I think Suffering 2 bombed in sales. You have a potentially good idea though. If there were to be a third it shouldn't be with Torque at all. They already ruined him in the sequel.
Message 6 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 6, 2010
I don't know, Duncan's not a bad actor, he just fit playing as Torque, and Blackmore seemed shoehorned into the plot just to create a random reason for the plot. I mean, he's done some alright films, but his presence in the Suffering 2 was just pointless, not to mention the fact that Torque worked better as being hard to identify racially. Not that I'm saying anything against him being black, but when he was previously unclassified, it made him easier to relate to because he could have been almost anything.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 7 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Feb 7, 2010
The original one started out as something scary as hell but soon after as with some other games it started loosing that fear factor and turned more action oriented. It it still managed to stay playable and had a pretty goddamn intriguing plot though, i dont remember much about the story but i do know that it was a great one. I wish i still had the game w/ me but anyway yes i'm definetly up for a 3rd suffering.

Message 8 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Feb 7, 2010
I don't know, I thought it was pretty up til the end. Sure, you were pretty much well equipped for the last leg, but it still had some pretty freaky moments those darned Infernas were certainly creepy.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 9 of 9 (45 Views)
0 Likes