Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 20 2014
By: Superficus First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

Black screen on game start

2 replies 383 views Edited Jan 20, 2014
Hi, I have seen that many people here seem to have issues starting this game, and so do I.

Please, don't post here about your issues with the game disc, changing the PS3's position as what happens to me is not a disc-related issue so let's not add confusion to the thread.

What happened to me is: I suddenly had a game freeze while playing the game today, it happened during a cutscene. It seems that the cutscene got corrupted. I had to turn off the PS3 and restart.

The console restored the filesystem after that. I started the game again and the cutscene stayed the same - corrupted, then freeze, then ultimately I was able to skip it and continue playing. For reference, this was the cutscene when you interrogate the two guys to try to get to where they have taken Ellie.

I assumed that a simple game uninstall and reinstall would allow me to watch that cutscene without corruption - because although I had progressed past it I tried playing it from the "bonus" list and it had the same problem.

So I uninstalled the game by deleting the game data (not the saved games). Once all TLU content was out of the system, I inserted the disc again to play, hoping that the patches will install and maybe this time the cutscene would play OK.

Wrong. What happened now is that I inserted the disc, the game started loading (black screen, but HDD flashes) and a few seconds later there is a single beep (like when you're prompted to download a patch) and then... Nothing. The game doesn't start and it stays black and the HDD stops flashing. The only way to exit this black screen is ejecting the disc, which takes you back to the XMB (restart).

I was not prompted to download the patch or anything. All I got was that beep and the black screen.

Now, I thought that maybe the auto update feature would do its job and patch the game and potentially fix the issue. No. I enable auto updates and as soon as I switched the console off it downloaded the patch and switched off - and told me that the patch was downloaded when I started the PS3 again.

But the result is the same. I start the Last of US, I get a black screen, a single "beep", and nothing.

Please - can you fix this so that we can play this game? I see there's a bunch of other people with the exact same problem and it's frustrating. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (383 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Black screen on game start

Jan 20, 2014
Ok - I have found a workaround that might help people.

When you are in this single beep black screen situation: delete all game data (not saved games), create a new PS3 user profile. Log in as that new profile and start the game. The game data will install (you're not connected to Internet so it will install fresh from the disc) and the game will now load and take you to the main menu.

Exit the game. Now your game data has been installed and it works. Now log in as your standard user: the game should now go past the black screen without beeping and load all the way into the main menu.

I now need to see if once I enable the internet connection the game would update and if
it will still continue to work, because I would like to play the most up-to-date version, but at least now I can start the game again.
Message 2 of 3 (378 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Black screen on game start

Jan 20, 2014
Sorry to write again: but just wanted to wrap it up. As soon as I logged onto my secondary profile I found a few corrupted data files which I then deleted - I forgot to say it before -. Not sure if that plays a role.

I have successfully updated the game now - after being prompted about the patch the first time I booted the game after enabling the internet connection - and the game still works.

Problem solved for me - I hope it helps others. I'd say the game dats gets messed up and stays messed up despite deleting it and only a clean install from other profile in the same console fully restores the game's functionality.

Now I hope the game (or console) doesn't decide to corrupt data again. It never happened before.
Message 3 of 3 (375 Views)
0 Likes