Jun 16 2013
By: Steel_Bandit First Son 4 posts

Cut scene turns the screen black, then freezes.

67 replies 8081 views Edited Jun 16, 2013

I've only just started playing the introduction but the last cut scene to work correctly was the car crash, after that the animations didn't load at all when running through a doorway. Then just past the fire truck the next cut scene turns the screen black and theres no sound. I can press start and a menu comes up but the game freezes when I choose to skip the video. 

Is this a bug that I can easily fix or could it be a hardware issue? I have the old fat PS3 but every other game I own works perfectly. The disk hasn't got a single fingerprint or mark on it and the PS3 is reasonably dust free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the game is completely un-playable at the moment.

Message 1 of 68 (8,081 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Cut scene turns the screen black, then freezes.

Jun 16, 2013
I have the same problem. Cleaning out things you don't need out of your hard drive MIGHT help, as it did for other people, but not me. Hopefully naughty dog will fix this soon.
Message 2 of 68 (8,051 Views)
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

This is a very depressing problem... I'm 8 hours deep and it just started happening... it's too bad. The game is GREAT, but this is muddling up the experience quite a bit... Robot Sad

Message 3 of 68 (8,023 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 17, 2013

SWEEEEET! SO... after trying a number of things that did not work, I finally figured it out.

In the XMB went to Game>Game Data Utility> and erased The Last Of Us Game Data and update (not to be confused with your Save Data)

Ejected the disc

Restarted the PS3

Popped the disc back in

Chose NOT to do the update (dunno if that has anything to do with it, but hey it worked for me)

So far the next cutscene played without a hitch!

Good luck, hope this helps.

Message 4 of 68 (8,017 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
44 posts

Jun 17, 2013

2 hours in and this happened. Mind you, I'm playing on patch 1.00, not 1.01, as the latter freezes on my very first loading screen.

Message 5 of 68 (8,013 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I will try that vivo thx
Message 6 of 68 (7,987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion Vivo, I'll have to try that. It's just a shame that I now don't have the opportunity to play the game (and test that out) until the weekend, it was definitely worth the pre-order lol! 

Message 7 of 68 (7,944 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 18, 2013
I've tried vivo's suggestion. I was able to get past the intro and the prologue but the very opening cut scene was completely black during the dialogue and then rubberbanded through the action. I was able to play though the prologe with no problems after that. The opening cut secne of the first chapter (after the prologe) had the same issue as the opening scean in that there was a black screen over the diolage but this time there was no rubberbanding, simlpy a continuation of the black screen for 15+ mins. This is incredibly frushtrating. I hear this is a great game but thats no use if i cant play the copy i BOUGHT. Fix it ND.
Message 8 of 68 (7,922 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

i just started having this same issue, except about 5 hours into the game. i go through a doorway and i believe its a cutscene but then all i get is a black screen, i can pause the game but then it instantly hard freezes my system. 6 straight times of this.

first the save bug, now this..tell me why again i buy new and on day one? i mean seriously this is the type of bs that makes me want to buy used or wait til the game is on sale and ya know...playable.

oh and vivo i tried that man i'm glad it worked for u but it didn't work for me.

Also it is the disc version on a slim 320 gb ( been fitted with a 1tb) fairly less than a year old system.

Message 9 of 68 (7,903 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I'm having the same problem here. Right after the chase where a stranger helps Joel and Ellie in "The Woods" chapter. You get through a door and BAM! Black screen of death. 
I've tried all sorts of things (playing it offline, restarting chapter, yada, yada, yada) and nothing.

Seriously, Naughty Dog? The game is incredible but why on Earth release the game with such a stupid bug? Please, do something quick. It is totally unfair with us as customers and gamers who went to the stores at day 01 and payed a launch price fortune rather than waiting 1 or 2 months 'till its cleared of bugs as usual and payed 10 or 20 bucks less...

Very disappointing! 

Message 10 of 68 (7,886 Views)
0 Likes