Jul 21 2013
By: Captain29051987 First Son 2 posts

Fan is running loudly while playing 'The Last of Us'

[ Edited ]
4 replies 652 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

My PS3 is about 6 years old. It's the 40 GB model released in 2007.

I don't play many games with it, and never really have, I use it primarly as a Blu-ray/DVD/Netflix player, and often (typically 1-2 hours per day).

Last night, I started playing 'The Last of Us' and about 5 minutes into the game the fan ramped up to the point that is sounded like a jet taking off. I've never heard my PS3 make any fan noise of this kind in the past, even when playing video games on the console. It was alarming to hear the fan running loudly like that.

After about 15 minutes of gameplay the fan got quiet again, and then after 30 minutes it went back to sounding like a jet taking off. The console felt hot, but in my opinion not really hot enough to warrant the fan bugging out like it was.

I googled the loud fan noise and learned that it is typically a sign of an impending Yellow Light of Death (YLOD). I cracked the PS3, cleaned off the existing thermal compound, and replaced it with Arctic Silver 5 (AS5) paste.

Once again, I fired up 'The Last of Us', the fan was quiet until I was about 40 minutes into gameplay.

I'll continue to try to trouble shoot this issue, and hope I don't get the YLOD.  I'm posting about it on here to document my experience in case this happens to anybody else, so they know they're not alone.

Message 1 of 5 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Re: Fan is running loudly while playing 'The Last of Us'

Jul 21, 2013
TLOU is very taxing. I remember UC3 ran similarly on my 60GB fat ps3. But I didn't get any YLOD or anything. Just clean the vents. Since you've already gone the extra mile and changed the thermal compound, you don't need to worry so much.
Message 2 of 5 (632 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 21, 2013

demonsta500 wrote:
TLOU is very taxing. I remember UC3 ran similarly on my 60GB fat ps3. But I didn't get any YLOD or anything. Just clean the vents. Since you've already gone the extra mile and changed the thermal compound, you don't need to worry so much.

Thank you for the reply.

I did quite a bit of dusting when I opened the machine, and was surprised because there wasn't THAT much dust on a 6-year-old unit, compared to computers I've cracked into in the past. Anyway, most of the dust is gone now.

For what it's worth, I looked into the issue more after your post. It seems like the overactive fan is somewhat common with TLOU and also some other games published by Naughty Dog, it would be nice if they put a disclaimer about it at startup!

Message 3 of 5 (612 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2121 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I have the same model and it always does this when playing a game. It's been doing that for years now but it doesn't affect anything, just makes alot of noise. No YLOD or error messages.

Message 4 of 5 (604 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Jul 21, 2013

hjidontknow   My old ps3 did this all the time till I opened it up and cleaned it out. But with this new game its making my new ps3 slim do the same. All you can expect from this is a shorter life span of the ps3 or hardware.  This is jest a taxing game pushing the ps3 to its limits for once.

Message 5 of 5 (591 Views)
0 Likes