Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 11 2013
By: LennyCarlGerbil First Son 2 posts

PS3 is crashing when playing "The last of Us" new autosave bug?

22 replies 7178 views Edited Sep 11, 2013

My PS3  is crashing when playing "The last of Us" (TLOU)

It is a 2007 60GB fat PS3 which has been recently compleatly reconditioned (new hard disk, cleaned out, new thermal paste) and plays all other ps3 games thrown at it

I am playing the disc version of the game,  and with the latest game patch applied and the latest version of the playstation OS

Having the internet connected or not makes no difference

I have had a friend play the game disk on their slim ps3 with no problems

The problem seems to be mostly when the game autosaves.. because when I turn off autosaving I mange to progress further.. but as soom as I save manually autosave is turned on again

Mostly I can start the game again after the autosave crash and the game has actually saved.. but it takes a good ten minutes to start up the ps3 after the crash (the ps3 checks it self out, then restarts, then I have to load the game again) so this is very annoying

the points where I will crash for certain with autosave on is when the first get in the car  in the prologue.. then again when the car crashes, then again when going through the tutorial and the father needs a scoot up to climb a wall

The PS3 doews not seem to hot when crashing.. I stand it on its side, blow fans at it.. play it at night.. none of these things help

no problems with the ps3 playing any other game

Message 1 of 23 (7,178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 is crashing when playing "The last of Us" new autosave bug?

Sep 11, 2013
I am having the same problem but further in, I am around 4hrs 50 mins in and at bills town. Every time we follow bill into the room after his rescue of us it crashes. My PS3 is a 60 GB Launch console and plays any and always has done any game thrown at it, I have reformatted the PS3, deleted the profile and game data and yet when I get to the same scene it just crashes the game. As I am writing this I have left it at this point to see if it just taking its time loading but it is still just a blank screen. I am very disappointed as I have always played naughty dog games and this just seems an issue. I should not have to have a new slim PS3 to play this and nowhere on the packaging does it say not suitable for a launch PS3. Please naughty dog I need a solution as I am desperate to play
Message 2 of 23 (7,152 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Sep 11, 2013

Yeah I am in the very beginning of Pittsburgh and am having a hell of a time with glitches. There is no dialogue, the game takes a very long time to load, and in my most recent attempt right in the beginning of Pittsburgh where you face the bandits I opened up that big metal door to let Ellie go underneath, and after I got through there were virtually no buildings just random cars, and trees lying everywhere. Weird stuff. Is there any way we could get a patch? I was hoping to beat this again by the time GTA V comes out. Also if I try to quit the game will sometimes crash, or just go back to the homepage. I can never manually save either due to it always auto-saving. Its quite messed up.

Message 3 of 23 (7,148 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Sep 12, 2013
Hi, I have the PS3 fat 80g, when I play TLOU its shut off by himself during multiplayer during the begin of match and campaign some places also it shut off what's going on?. I did everything I clean my ps3 I used airduster I vaccum, ahhh and my ps3 don't get overheating I have my ps3 in a open place and the problem still there when I play others games digital or physical no problem at all any advise
Message 4 of 23 (7,137 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Oct 20, 2013

this is more of a question: when i play the last of us mutliplayer my ps3 freezes, it has hapened 3 times: once in checkpoint and twice in bill town. The game is only 3 weeks old and once when i was switching games it fell less than an inch but got a bit of dust in the back of the disk and i cleaned it. it only happens in the multiplayer, please help im not from the US so i cant just go with my receipt and get a new one.

Message 5 of 23 (6,957 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 14, 2013

I'm having the same issue. I've been all over the internet posting about it. Been chewed out by more fanboys than I can remember. I'm just going to get my money back from Gamestop and give up. 

Message 6 of 23 (6,779 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2013

snif snif like uncharted 3 i don't have money to buy another ps 3 im poor and i love video games plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz naughty dog i love uncharted 3 plzzzz fix the problem of crash with ps3 fat (60 go) in solo mode and in multiplayer and i want uncharted 4 in ps3 like in ps4

Message 7 of 23 (6,770 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Doing a Database Rebuild fixed my "Last of us" PS3 crashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxwwt97_8c

Message 8 of 23 (6,404 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Same exact issue here.  Late-era original 60gb model (Summer 2007), works flawlessly with every other game (100+ and counting), constantly crashes (hard shutdown of my PS3, blinking red light) at one point in The Last of Us.  Specifically, the point in "Downtown" (in the broken skyscraper) where you come across the dead body of a Firefly.  Haven't been able to progress in the game because of it. 

I also have the disc version of the game, with the newest patch. 

The PS3 isn't running hot when the crash occurs--the fan spins far faster/louder when playing any Battlefield game. 

It's absolutely, definitely NOT a hdd issue.  I in fact just swapped the hdd I had in there out for the 500gb Hitachi that was in my VAIO when I upgraded that to a 1tb in the hopes of resolving the issue.  I ran exhaustive diagnostics on the drive when it was still in the laptop, right before it was transferred to the PS3.  It's pristine.  There is also nothing wrong with the Seagate that was in there, I'm using it in an external enclosure without any issues.

It's clearly the game, this is an obvious trend.  I can well imagine there won't be any fix given the extreme minority of users that are still operating original 60gb model "fat" PS3s, but wow does this suck for us.  Having platted all three Uncharteds and loved them to death, it's a big disappointment.  Why no love for us, Naughty Dog? 

I'm going to try to get past the point by disabling Autosave.  If that doesn't work I'm going to delete the game data and refuse updates.  If that doesn't work, I'm throwing it up on Craigslist and hoping to recoup half of what I spent on it.  Weak sauce. 

Message 9 of 23 (6,114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1100 posts

Dec 29, 2013

Just wanted to say that crashes/ freezes / black screens and hard restarts in TLoU Multiplayer are normal atm. Everyone encounters that every couple of matches.

Don't know about crashes in Single Player though, never encountered one.

Art by Janice Chu
Message 10 of 23 (6,086 Views)
0 Likes