Jun 09 2014
By: d1s1nformat1on First Son 16 posts

Re: Game Not Loading Sections of Levels and Scenery (Possible mild Spoilers)

[ Edited ]
12 replies 737 views Edited Jun 30, 2014

Read Next post - Bugs and everything detailed below

Message 1 of 13 (737 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jun 20, 2014

I've been having all kinds of issues with this game since the last patch - At first it wasnt a big deal, but it's worked itself into being game breaking.

Currently playing on an as new disc copy of the game (clean, adult owned) through a fairly new super slim PS3 w/500gb HDD if that helps.

So, I picked this up not long after release and only played a little as it hadn't quite drawn me in as much as people were hyping it up to - I guess I was after something a little faster paced at the time, so I put it down after maybe an hour or two. I've just come back to it recently and decided to start again to get the full experience, downloaded the patches etc, but got held up with an issue in the first cutscene anfter the first scene - during the introductoy cut scene of the "20 years later" part, the audio would run fine, but the video would start to stutter/corrupt/freeze or any combination there of. I did some research and found a few people were experiencing this at random points and someone happened to discover that changing a display setting on the console (changing it to Display settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI) > Full) would fix it and that you could just pause the cut scene and "skip" it, but it would be hit and miss. After starting up again and loading the game, the cut scene was better - but still very average, it would eventually freeze up at one point. I managed to get past this by pausing and skipping it and didn't encounter it again and so I thought nothing of it.

Progressing through the game, I've reached the sewers area. I run along the beach, climb the rocks and open the sewer. I'd progress through the short, round tunnels and take 3 or 4 steps into the next area and the backing audio would crap out - I'd get no dialogue, no ambient back ground music, no sound of water rushing - I'd only get the sound of the characters foot falls. Further ahead is a platform with a ladder/stairs leading up to it and a gate. Past this wouldn't load anything. I'd have some small animations of water falling over an edge, some bugs crawling on the "walls" and some stuff floating in the water - but the walls, platforms and water itself was invisible. see picture for what I was seeing:

DSC_0333.JPG

After doing a little searching on the interwebz, I read about performing a few things via the PS3's safe mode and rebuilding the databse and trying to fix the data on the system etc. Performed these things to find the game would work again past the point I could get to. 

I kept playing and got a little further past this point and to a cut scene showing you getting separated from Ellie and the other guy (forget his name). The first time seeing this, it didn't work at all - no dialogue at all and the character models were frozen, but would sort of "bounce" over to their positions. That would end and I'd find myself in an open area with a few rooms and what seems to be more of the same as above - areas not loading. A search tells me that at this point in the game I'm supposed to be attacked by some runners and a couple of clickers. I can't get into any of these areas as it seems there are more invisible walls at each point, but I can explore the rooms themselves. I can't really do much else, so I explore the rooms I have available to me and collect whatever there is. After about 5 or 10 minutes, some enemies will spawn, but trying to attack them glitches out on me and the character models freeze up again and bounce around and I end up dying by clicker attack and end up on a perpetual black screen which results in needing a hard re-set of the console.

Tried again after a re start and database rebuild (as I hadn't performed this one earlier)and the cutscene played a little better, I got half of the dialogue and the models were moving fine, but I lost textures and audio/subtitles about half way through it. Enter rooms area again to find the un-loaded areas I can't access again and a wait until enemies spawn. They eventually do spawn and I notice that some of the areas beyond the "white" sections have loaded when they do and I can see some buildings or something beyond, but couldn't investigate as I had enemies coming at me. Same situation, attack animations freeze the models again and I die and end up with perpetual black screen again.

At first, I couldn't understand the hype of the game, so I put it down, now I'm actually enjoying it and want to find out what happens (without having it spoiled - I've still managed that much!), but theres no way I'm going to perform a (apparently damaging) hard re-set and database rebuild for what would seem to be 30 seconds worth of improvement.

I get that the game is old now and probably isn't a big focus on the PS3 console any more, but if I was considering getting it on the PS4 at point, I'm definitely not planning on it now. I know I'm not the only one experiencing similar things at different points of the game and every other game I have generally works without any issues.

Anyone else here come across anything similar and had any luck fixing it?

Anyone from ND planning on trying to investigate and maybe even fix this issue?

Message 2 of 13 (688 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jun 20, 2014

still trying to get my head around this...

Disc was purchased near release, so asking to have it exchanged for a new one would only result in being laughed at I imagine.

Can ND put a little effort in to investigating this ? I get that you are far from focused on this game now thats its older, but theres no chance I'll be spending money on the PS4 re-release as I have no idea that the same thing isn't going to happen there...

Message 3 of 13 (687 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jun 29, 2014

Anyone? Anything???

Message 4 of 13 (663 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 30, 2014

Same issue.

Formatted my PS3 (dont do it!) still no go, get stuck at the same spot - Tommy's effing ranch. No landscape, everythig is white with  2 horse riders floating in the air!

Message 5 of 13 (656 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
16 posts

Jun 30, 2014
I'm not even getting to the ranch... I got as far as the beginning of the "fall" section just after Sam gets bitten, turns and Henry shoots himself.

Someone needs to fix this game as my console and disc are in perfect condition
Message 6 of 13 (653 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jul 23, 2014

Come on Naughty Dog - Sort Your **bleep** out yeah??!!?!

I get that you're focused on the remaster and all, but why should we bother with it when we cant even finish the ps3 version??

But hey, what do you care, the remaster will still sell and you guys will still get paid.

I'm at least one person who wont be giving you money for the remaster or any other game with your moniker on it until such a time as something gets addressed here

Message 7 of 13 (586 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
851 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2014

d1s1nformat1on wrote:
I'm not even getting to the ranch... I got as far as the beginning of the "fall" section just after Sam gets bitten, turns and Henry shoots himself.

Someone needs to fix this game as my console and disc are in perfect condition

Yeah generally after the first part of Pittsburgh the game starts doing crazy stuff. Once I actually made it in the ranch house, but nothing inside was loaded. And I think I identified the culprit.

Autosave. If you pause the game whenever something isn't loaded, you will find that it says "Autosaving, please wait..." And this can last for whole minutes. Unpause when it finally goes away, and you might Joel talking to himself, saying lines that should've been triggered way before but didn't. That's what's happening to me anyway. Right now I can't exit the ranch house because the trigger to open the door never appears.

Also, I forgot to mention, I got the disc a day before release. Tomorrow I'm taking it back to the store to have it fixed up, just in case it is a disc issue. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get my dad to buy Remastered. Smiley Wink

Casually wrecking some Masters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUYC823CwI
Message 8 of 13 (582 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
851 posts

Jul 24, 2014

So a little update on this, I took my copy to the store and explained what was happening, and they kindly gave me a replacement disc for free, on which everything works just fine. So it must be a disc issue.

Casually wrecking some Masters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUYC823CwI
Message 9 of 13 (567 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 24, 2014

d1s1nformat1on, did you try playing without the latest patch (1.07) and see if that is causing the problems? I, too, have experienced some really weird behavior in Single Player and Multiplayer after installing patch 1.07. I also have a release copy of the game and an 80 gb "fat" system. I played the entire game without a single hitch at the time of release; during my current play through, however (post patch), I’m encountering all kinds of similar glitches. (Freezes, ps3 hard-resets, infinite loading screens, game assets not loaded).

I’m really puzzled here, as this the only game that is giving me trouble. So far, every problem has coincided with the installation of the latest patch, but I really don’t have any more means to gather evidence and definitely prove it. I have seen considerable reports of users with similar set-ups and problems, am I seeing a pattern here?

Message 10 of 13 (562 Views)
0 Likes