In advance... sorry for the strange text format, I usually try to write in a way people can actually read, with paragraphs and the like. But fpr some reason the forum transforms all of this into one unreadable wall of text and this seems to be the only way to bypass this...
- I was waiting eagerly for "The Last of Us" for quite some time and I don´t even own a Playstation. I borrowed one from my brother-in-law, especially to play TLoU during my holidays. I also bought a controller with a more xbox-ish design, because I just can´t handle the Playstation controllers, since they are way... way too small for me. Apparently my hands are bigger than the average, a PS3 controller looks like a scaled-down toy in my hands. I am actually getting cramps in my hands in case I use the original PS controllers for more than 10 minutes.
- So the new controller works like a charm and fits perfectly into my hands, the only minus point is that it has no Sixaxis. I can live with that, before TLoU was in the mail I passed some time playing Killzone 3 and InFamous (which I missed so far w/o having a PS3) and here I could simply turn Sixaxis off.
- And here I was, with my borrowed PS3, my brandnew controller and my brandnew "The Last of Us", enjoying the nerve-wracking intro and then taking the first steps into the derelict world of tomorrow. A grim world. A dark world. A world where you need a flashlight. Which keeps to malfunction every 3 minutes. Which can be fix by shaking the controller. Which I can´t do with my Xeox gamepad. **bleep**?
- Seriously, I am a bit peeved tight now. I could not find a single word about having to have a working Sixaxis controller in any review, there was not a single word about it on the case and of course you can´t turn this "feature" off like you can do in other games. So now my options are...
- A) play in the dark
- B) log in an original controller, switch it to controller 1, shake the blooy thing for 1 second, log in my controller again
- C) play the game entirely with an original PS3 controller
- To be honest, none of this really is an option, every single choice kills the game and the immersion and is either incredibly annoying or downright painful in case I use the PS3 controller.
- And seriously, I don´t see this "my flashlight is malfunctioning" thing as a feature that adds THAT much to atmosphere and immersion anyway. I could perfectly live without it. Right now I am at Bills´s Town and I just stopped playing, because I could not take it anymore. And I am annoyed and frustrated, since this is one of the most exciting beautiful and thoughtful games I have played in a long time. And the experience is completely killed for me by a stupid "feature" that really don´t even need to be there.
- So here is my question - is there a way to bypass this w/o having to go through all the shenanigans like log in a 2nd controller? Or could you, honored developers, please please PLEASE patch this and give us the option to switch Sixaxis off? I mean, if the game would be relying heavily on Sixaxis I would understand that this could be difficult, but right now you managed to use Sixaxis for ONE SINGLE FEATURE which benefit is at least questionable and which effectively kills the game for people using not the original controller, which could be quite a few I imagine.
And I disagree to your point that the flashlight malfunctioning feature doesn't add to the atmosphere. It would much more immersion-breaking if I had a batteries that could go months on end without getting dimmer.
Stop trolling and use your brain. This is not helpful and I would not have posted it If this wasn´t an actual problem for me. Anyway, I am curious - in which way exactly do you think your post is helpful?
Well, then my hands are gigantic. And I simply can´t find a position that seems to work for longer than 10 minutes. Actually the PS controllers were the very reason I never bought a Playstation. I would not spend 40 Euros for an extra controller IF I could handle the original controllers. If the left stick and the D-pad would be interchanged, like they are on the Xbox controllers, this might work, but the way the controller actually is it simply does not.
And I understand that the malfunctioning flashlight can add to immersion, especially in tight situations with a bunch of klickers around you. But why on earth did they have to add motion control for ONE single tiny feature, without giving the player the option to turn it off or solve this in other ways? Before TLoU arrived I was playing Killzone 3. Here you can switch off motion control and strange enough, the game works too this way.
I am surely not the only one who is using another controller for whatever reasons. So why adding something that simply WILL kill the game for everyone not using the PS3 controller without the option to turn off/bypass it? Even if the only given option was to deactivate that malfunctiong thing completely, I would really appreciate it. I´d rather live without those moments of fear than having to plug in another controller every time my flashlight flickers.
Just try playing with it. You'll get used to it. Or you can just use it for those dark segments of which there aren't that many.
Wurstpakete I personally don't have a issue that you have but here is a link to send a personal message and my be they can do something about it. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/user/viewpr
Well, this is a statement I can live with.
And I would not say the PS controller is bad, it just does not work for ME. Lots of people use contact lenses, I usually wear glasses, since I just can´t get used to an object in my eyes. I can use Penicillin, my sister can´t, since she is allergic to it. And I love to drive with manual shift gear, but a lot of people can only handle automatic. Something can be approved and reliable and it will still not work for everyone, since people are different.
Thanks a lot, I think I will try that.