May 04 2013
By: Nate3963 Gaming Beast 2055 posts

American Dreams Issue #1 Re(Over)view

[ Edited ]
9 replies 260 views Edited May 5, 2013

Well, I finally got to buying this today. Got myself a digital copy since the store I went to was all sold out.  

I'm guess this is a little review, so speak, I'll go over; artwork, setting and characters. 

Artwork

I like the overall tone of the art style, has a cartoonish look but, still has grit to it at the same time. The style reminds me "Scott Pilgrim" actually. The choice of colours suits the world, as most are a bluish-grey and they all kind of blend together. Creating a drab world, that looks like most of the color has been drained of it. It suits the setting of a desolate and decaying world. 

Setting:  

As for the setting, I happily enjoyed getting a little sneak peek at the inside of these government safe-zones. The amount of security shows how rigid and controlled life has become. It's interesting to see how even in this time of crisis the people in the safe-zone and those who run it  have still attempted to hold onto things of the past world. Ex. School bus, American flag, Walkman etc.  

Characters:  

As for characters, it was really cool to see how the characters act and speak. Quite volitile and vulgur most of the time. 

Ellie: In this comic, Ellie is 13 years-old and is being forced to attend this pre-teen boarding school for orphans. In the comic, she seems to hold some kind of attachment to her walkman, maybe a song on it? A possibilty it was given to her by her parents, perhaps this will be explained in the game. She can take care of herself and seems to be quite self-sufficent. Along with having a real mouth to boot. She says "stomp his f*cking balls" over and over in the comic, not sure why, anger maybe. Regardless, Ellie's a **bleep** cool character, and reading this comic has just solified her awesomeness.  

Government/Military Soldier: Her has some kind of past attachment with Ellie, seems that he took care of her before she was forced to attend this school.  

Kid bully: He's an as*hole.  

Riley: She seems to be able to take care of herself and handle herself in a fight. (Girls kick all the as* in this story). She also seems to be a bit older than Ellie and has been at the boarding schoola tad longer. (She has a group of friends she sits with).   

Score: All and all, it was a fun read. A tad short, but it wss only $4. I really enjoyed getting a taste of this world. It kind of helped during this little information blackout were going through. I'd give it a 4/5.  

If you'd rather not spend the money at all, you can watch it here for free:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHohuVecB7M 

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 1 of 10 (260 Views)
Wastelander
768 posts

Re: American Dreams Issue #1 Re(Over)view

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

Nice review mate! Hey, if you want to get the physical copy of issue #1, or any of the other issues (just in case your local comic shop sells out of them again) you should order from this site:

http://www.tfaw.com/Search?_results_use_stopwords=true&quick_sstring=The+Last+of+Us%3A+American+Drea...=

Message 2 of 10 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

May 4, 2013

Thanks man I appreciate that. I don't like the digital copy too much since I have to be logged on to Dark Horse to read it. So, I'll order some more when the 2nd issue gets released.  

I'm glad you liked the review!

Message 3 of 10 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

May 4, 2013
Hey you linked my thread. =D That's weird since my thread was a big fail and it made me look like an idiot. O well
Message 4 of 10 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

May 4, 2013

It did? I never read it actually. Do you want me to remove it?

Message 5 of 10 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

Nate3963 wrote:

Thanks man I appreciate that. I don't like the digital copy too much since I have to be logged on to Dark Horse to read it. So, I'll order some more when the 2nd issue gets released.  

I'm glad you liked the review!

No problem mate. yeah, I just recently stumbled apon that website. I just recently pre-ordered the first two issues, since they're both scheduled for release, later this month (May 29th). The last two issues, I'll pre order them by the month it's scheduled for release (June and July).

Message 6 of 10 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

May 5, 2013
I don't really care if you remove it but it's not really worth having cus there isn't any good speculation in the thread
Message 7 of 10 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

May 5, 2013

All gone. Poof. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

May 5, 2013

Nate3963 wrote:

Ellie:long with having a real mouth to boot. She says "stomp his f*cking balls" over and over in the comic, not sure why, anger maybe.

This was one of my favorite parts of the comic, it was just funny! Originally hearing the term from Riley, she just associated it with anger. Obviously she didn't really know what she was saying... since she said it in reference to Riley, who is female Smiley LOL I just thought it was the cutest thing. Faith Erin Hicks really did an excellent job portraying Ellie's innocence in such a harsh world. I can't wait for the next issue, good overview!

Message 9 of 10 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

May 5, 2013

Thanks D, appreciate the feedback. I might do an overview for each comic. 

Yeah, they really did do a great job of portraying Ellie as an innocent girl who has beem hardened by the world she is forced to live in. She was my favourite character before, but after reading this comic, I love her even more now. I wish the comic's weren't so sparced out though. I want to read them now...

Message 10 of 10 (161 Views)
0 Likes