Jun 26 2013
By: calcunnon Treasure Hunter 5546 posts

American Dreams issue #3

18 replies 495 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

Got my copy today! Did anyone else think...

Spoiler
They were pulling the rug from underneath our feet with that sleeve-bite on Riley? We were totally expecting the two of them to get bitten (since we found out that does happen to them) but it just didn't. Very good!

2013-06-26-15.45.45.jpg

Message 1 of 19 (495 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Re: American Dreams issue #3

Jun 26, 2013

I'm jealous, seems like a good read.

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 2 of 19 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

That cover art has me really keen to read this chapter!

I wonder how well they are selling these things, i'd love to see a much longer series after this one is completed. Kinda hard to get into because you will be able to read through the entire series in 10 minutes once the last one is out.

Message 3 of 19 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

I LOVED the first couple of issues, in particularl the characters of Ellie and Riley.

#3 feels like a "middle chapter", and as such is not as good as the previous issue, IMO, and feels far too short. I may be biased though, because I read the first two issues before playing the game, and this one afterwards. I personally think they made a mistake by spoiling one with the other, because whichever you experience first will "ruin" the other.

Spoiler
Play the game first? You won't be worried when Ellie gets bitten in the comic. Read the comic first? You'll know she's immune from the start; even if they don't say so in the comic, her being seemingly healthy at the start of the game - set after the comic - will give it away. I didn't like knowing Riley will die thanks to the game, either. That was the ONE factor the comic could keep as a surprise, since she's not in the game. Now what surprises can the comic hit the reader with? Game players now know how it has to end! Riley is a wonderful character, and I hate that the game has spoiled her fate for me before the comic is even fully published.

That (pretty big) problem aside, and taken by itself I really like the comic.

I find Ellie and Riley really likeable and well written (though moreso in issues 1 and 2, since this one is more "action"). Winston was neat too, and I'd like to see more of him. Despite my misgivings tagged above, I thought the "fake out" this issue was clever and was certainly on the edge of my seat.

Marlene barely makes an impact in this issue, though I assume that's for the next issue. Given it's the last one, though, I've a feeling things will be a bit rushed, sadly. It feels like six issues would have been a better fit with the pacing.

Overall, though, I was most intrigued by the soldier who brought Ellie to the school in the first issue, and really wanted to know more about his relationship and past with her until that point. Did he "rescue" her from somewhere beyond the QZ? Get assigned responsibility for her after her mother died? There's clearly more to their relationship than "some guy told to bring her somewhere", given how angry she is at him "abandoning" her for his own family.

I am also pleased that this has given us another look at the Quarantine Zone, and what everyday life is like there. If they do another mini-series, I'd hope it might deal with something similar. Perhaps Marlene and the Fireflies, or Tess' smuggling work in and out. Maybe a new character that shows us QZ life from the side and viewpoint of the soldiers trying to maintain order?

I agree with other posters that a longer or even ongoing TLOU series would be amazing. I recall Gears of War ended up a somewhat (20-something issue) ongoing comic series despite starting as a one-off miniseries, and the success of The Walking Dead should surely show that a zombie/post apocalypse comic would sell well if handled right.

With the story/writing definitely the high point and most critically praised aspect of the game, I actually think a TLOU comic series could become very successful and profitable on its own merits even, not just as a "tie in" merchandise/cross promotion.

Message 4 of 19 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Jun 27, 2013

I've only read Issue #1 so far, that came with the Joel Edition. It's okay though, I have The Walking Dead Compendium 1 to keep me company for now Smiley Very Happy

Signature Size for Contest July TLOU photo FINALSARAH_zpse2590fe2.jpg
Message 5 of 19 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013
Spoiler
One thing I noticed: Riley's left arm gets bitten but she rolls up the sleeve of her right arm.
Spoiler
I find it kind of unfortunate that they never showed how Ellie got the scar on her eyebrow though.

Message 6 of 19 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Jun 27, 2013

*Sigh* Thanks for the spoiler ^

Signature Size for Contest July TLOU photo FINALSARAH_zpse2590fe2.jpg
Message 7 of 19 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Oh **bleep**, sorry I thought everyone looking in this thread already has read the comics. Sorry.

Message 8 of 19 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Jun 27, 2013

It's not a bad read, but there's just one problem:

"To be continued..."!

I hate cliffhangers... If you want my advice, avoid reading them all until the fourth one comes out. Then read them all at once.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 9 of 19 (330 Views)
Wastelander
632 posts

Jun 27, 2013

How do we get them all? I only have the 1st one.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 19 (281 Views)
0 Likes