Jul 07 2013
By: Alpha_Wolf033 First Son 8 posts

Ammo and Ellie finding supplies.

4 replies 1381 views Edited Jul 7, 2013
Okay I get that Naughty Dog is trying to make this game realistic. And on survivor mode having supplies and ammo within the field being extremely scarce is excellent. But how come in the alone and forsaken mission I killed five hunters before they ever fired a round and I didn't get any ammo? They can't have all been bluffing. I feel like that is very unrealistic. If y'all do a realistic game in your next project, your character should always be able to get ammo off of a dead body even if you have to watch the character (Joel for instance) kneel down, pick up the weapon, unload the ammo, and feed it back into his own gun. Ammo that is in weapons could even be marked with a green circle around the weapon icon rather than the typical red circle to show that the action is required. Through my survival run through I killed fleets of enemies and got **bleep** for ammo. That's a problem.

And the other thing I'd like to mention is when Ellie finds me ammo and I have to restart the checkpoint or die in battle. Why doesn't she find the supplies a second time? Isn't respawning or restarting a checkpoint like the same as taking a step back in time? I'll get six shotgun shells, restart or die, and then not get anything from her. Another unrealistic aspect.
Message 1 of 5 (1,381 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Re: Ammo and Ellie finding supplies.

Jul 7, 2013
You're not supposed to have infinite ammo. I know it would go different in real life, but this is a game. And it's a great game nonetheless!
Message 2 of 5 (1,350 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Ellie giving you things is completely random. There isn't a point in the game where she is DESIGNED and SUPPOSED to give you something. If you're low on health and you have no med kit, she'll give you one. If you're low on ammo for the hunting rifle, she'll give ammo for that weapon.
Message 3 of 5 (1,289 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

I don't think it's random. I got health packs from Ellie or Tess when I needed one, didn't have one, and didn't have supplies to make one. As long as I was able to make a health pack, nobody gave me one.

Same with ammo. I never found ammo on my stealth kills. I played mostly stealth so ammo was very hard to come by, but then again, I didn't use it either. I only received ammo from Ellie early in the game. After that I only found it on rare occasions. By the end of the game I was full up on shotgun, rifle, and revolver. I had enough whenever I needed it, but not a lot. I've seen youtube videos of others finding lots more ammo, but they were shooting more too.

I played Hard to unlock Survivor, then I only play Survivor. I think the game is well balanced and adapts to how you play so that it's not easy or comfortable, but super tense and survivable; barely. I've been thinking of trying a run on minimum supplies to see how that goes. I've also wondered if I would find more shiv parts if I used shivs more frequently. I'd say there is plenty of replay value here.

Message 4 of 5 (1,258 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

I agree with the kneeling and rifle the body for ammo, if they got a gun, at least one or two rounds off the body, maybe a bar of chocolate or a tin of peaches, I find the randomness quite good and realistic whether Ellie gives you anything, sometimes she will find a couple rounds for "El Diablo" and on occasions, she will pass you a more than welcome health pack, in fact, on survivor mode, i never craft them unless in an extreme emergency, it's molotovs all the way, and Ellie can be quite usefull.

Also sometimes she will leap onto a guy when you're getting a good slapping, or shoot, or throw a brick, the AI in the game i find varies from game to game, sometimes it's hilariously funny, like the guy who watched me strangle his mate as he nonchalantly walked past, to some really good AI encounters. 

effyou
Message 5 of 5 (1,226 Views)
0 Likes