Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 30 2013
By: pacpunk Lombax Warrior 122 posts

Anybody NOT Use Listen Mode outside of Survival?

9 replies 211 views Edited Jun 30, 2013

I felt like it made the game less suspensful. Literally the only time i've used it during the game was when they tought me how. Anybody else like this?

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (211 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Re: Anybody NOT Use Listen Mode outside of Survival?

Jun 30, 2013
I used it all the time.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I used it almost every time entering a room, I was fearful of what would come if not used. Only used it on indoors however. Also it was great to use in the hotel basement level... would've been extremely scary otherwise as I am not a big fan of jumpscares (which every showing up of an infected would have been without Listen Mode).

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

I like the game more with listen mode off.  It's scarier and more challenging.

I turned listen mode off during my first playthrough on hard.  I liked it more.  I never used it, I only used it once during the demo

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2412 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I used it a lot on my first normal playthrough, but after my two survival playthroughs I forgot it even existed. I even went through the game twice over on Hard getting all the collectables/shiv doors and never once used it. I prefer the feel of the game without it honestly, just as I suspected I would before the game was released. lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2841 posts

Jun 30, 2013

my first playthrough was on hard with listen mode disabled, I played on hard because I thought the game's AI would be better and in that case more immersive for me (usually I play games on normal, but for this game hard seemed better, to give a more survival feeling), and listen mode disabled, because I can't seriously understand why it is fun to look through walls, in some games I don't mind, for instance detective mode in batman arkham, because that is actually fun to use and makes sense, or the pulse kinda thing in infamous, where cole can sense sources of electricity, dead drops or blast shards, but listen mode is stupid, it makes no sense and it's only in the game because they wanted some form of looking through walls, because for some reason Naughty Dog is addicted to looking trough walls...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (179 Views)
Wastelander
595 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

But listen mode is stupid, it makes no sense and it's only in the game because they wanted some form of looking through walls

Like you said, it makes sense in Batman, because he has gadgets, but it doesn't really make sense that Joel has this ability.  He's a human being who has x-ray vision.  I don't like it either.  I'm glad ND gave the option.  I wanted the game to be as scary and challenging as possible.   I figured with listen mode there would be no surprises lurking around the corner because I could see through walls.  That's why I turned it off as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jun 30, 2013
on my first playthrough, I went on hard and didn't use it. on 2nd on hard I am using it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 30, 2013
I agree, i used it during the first two hours and then I felt the same as you do so I stopped using it. But the option is there for people who like it. I also did not do any upgrade for both the guns or the character except for the Shiv ones.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Jun 30, 2013

First thing I did when the game started, I disable listen mode and the season bonus content.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (145 Views)
0 Likes