Jul 01 2013
By: EG_NeoMorph Splicer 40 posts

Anyone Else Think The Teammate AI Sucks?

34 replies 4623 views Edited Jul 1, 2013

Tess and Ellie's AI Truly SUCKS at present.

I've been trying this on Hard and nearly every time I die due to Clickers is due to either Tess or Ellie litterally RUNNING into me or one of the infected. There was me, following instructions to not alert the Clickers and moving slow only to find the Ellie and Tess running into me and phasing into my body, causing it to blip  and move which alerts the Clickers. Drives me nuts.

Surely, if Joel is moving slowly THEN ELLIE AND TESS SHOULD MOVE SLOWLY TOO. It's not rocket science here people.

I've played it through on Normal and just wanted to see how much worse it was on Hard. And it is... drastically at times. The infected are so much more alert and due to the silly team AI it makes it more like BONKERS IMPOSSIBLE HARD than just plain hard.

Also one thing is really annoying me. How come runners don't cause Clickers to chase them? They are making loads of noise, look human and are totally ignored. It's like the designers totally had a blindspot here. They should have made it so that you either had Runners or Clickers and if there were both then the Clickers should have fought the Runners too. Do they have some sort of biological Friend or Foe detection built in?

But ultimately if Naughty Dog fix the AI issue then it would improve the game no end. I'm not asking to make it easier... Keep everything the same but just make the AI creep around AND STAY QUIET when there are enemies around and Joel is creeping. If Joel stops... THEY SHOULD STOP TOO.

I have seen Tess and Ellie run back and forward like morons... around infeced, Army and scavengers while Joel is just sat there in cover. Most of the time the enemy seem to ignore them but for some reason it really pees of the Clickers and instead of them going after the ones making the noise THEY COME AFTER JOEL. I seriously wanted to cap Tess and Ellie after the 10th time they ran into the Clickers and got themselves and/or Joel killed even though Joel was nowhere near any infected... In the end I said sod this game, put it in its case and vowed to not touch it again until the AI is patched.

So come on Naughty Dog. PLEASE FIX THIS AI PROBLEM.

Message 1 of 35 (4,623 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Re: Anyone Else Think The Teammate AI Sucks?

Jul 1, 2013

That has not happened to me in my 3 playthroughs of the game...

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 2 of 35 (4,616 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4968 posts

Jul 1, 2013
I thought the ai was pretty smart. actually. Bill was especially badass. he slaughtered many an infected. ellie saved my **bleep** on numerous occassions also...throwing a brick at a hunter who was creeping too close, stunning him and allowing me to finish himoff. or finding ammo or med kits. couple of glitches. but overall, I was very impressed with the ai.

Message 3 of 35 (4,590 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jul 1, 2013
We've only had 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 of these threads.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 4 of 35 (4,586 Views)
First Son
21 posts

Jul 1, 2013
I never had a problem until recently on survival mode. I kept trying to hide behind a desk and hug the wall as a guy walked past. Ellie kept running up and getting beside me and she got in the way so I couldn't take the guy by surprise. Although even that isn't really bad AI it is just unfortunate.
Message 5 of 35 (4,568 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

The rest suck. But Ellie is very good, and the most helpful, followed by Bill.

Message 6 of 35 (4,558 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jul 1, 2013
Bill was great.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 7 of 35 (4,546 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I never had a problem with Bill but after Joel told Ellie to watch out for those booby trap explosives what does she do... WALK RIGHT INTO ONE...

I must have the worst luck or something glitched in this playthrough. I just wish that I could tell them to STAY PUT or MOVE SLOWLY.

Oh and yeah, getting ready to ambush I've had Ellie run right in front of me and block my way just as I was about to strike. I've also had them block my shot several times. I think I shot Ellie three times at this one bit... and you are supposed to be incapable of shooting her heh. I would pop out of cover, fire and as I pulled the trigger Ellie runs across. I did it three times on the trot the one time. Talk about jaw dropping.

Now to the fanboy saying there are 100000000000000000000000 of these threads..... you actually have shown there is a problem so thanks. If it was just me it would mean it was just me having a problem. So thanks NikeMurphDawg.

I'm not asking for much... just for the AI to be fixed during stealth.

Message 8 of 35 (4,510 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

This happened to me too on Hard difficulty. I was crouched by a doorway, waiting to strangle an enemy and Ellie comes and sits right in front of me blocking me from performing my stealth attack, ultimately alerting the enemy and getting us killed. The friendly AI could stand some improvements IMO. 

Don't get me wrong, the story is brilliant - very emotional and powerful. But the actual gameplay could improve with a little AI boost. 

Message 9 of 35 (4,505 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Jul 1, 2013

EG_NeoMorph wrote:

I never had a problem with Bill but after Joel told Ellie to watch out for those booby trap explosives what does she do... WALK RIGHT INTO ONE...

I must have the worst luck or something glitched in this playthrough. I just wish that I could tell them to STAY PUT or MOVE SLOWLY.

Oh and yeah, getting ready to ambush I've had Ellie run right in front of me and block my way just as I was about to strike. I've also had them block my shot several times. I think I shot Ellie three times at this one bit... and you are supposed to be incapable of shooting her heh. I would pop out of cover, fire and as I pulled the trigger Ellie runs across. I did it three times on the trot the one time. Talk about jaw dropping.

Now to the fanboy saying there are 100000000000000000000000 of these threads..... you actually have shown there is a problem so thanks. If it was just me it would mean it was just me having a problem. So thanks NikeMurphDawg.

I'm not asking for much... just for the AI to be fixed during stealth.

So how is he a fanboy. If he/she has shown there is problems how is he/she a fanboy, smart one? He's right, ther'es too many threads of this problem.  W'ere not asking for much... just for people to use the search engine sometimes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 10 of 35 (4,494 Views)
0 Likes