Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Re: Anyone Else Think The Teammate AI Sucks?

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

I had an annoying but funny moment with the AI I was basically corner trappd for over a minute by Tess and Marlene, thats the only problem I had apart from the obvious Ellie running right past hunters and infected but I got over that.

photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Message 11 of 35 (3,792 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jul 1, 2013
I personally think that its the best allie AI I have ever played with. Rarely does the AI get in my way in what I am trying to do. And if she does its usually due more to the fact that I am hiding in a spot that 2 ppl cannot fit in so she tries to hide as close as possible but ends up blocking me or on occasion hiding in plain sight.
Message 12 of 35 (3,781 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Play it on Survivor. The A.I. is ace. 

Message 13 of 35 (3,777 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Well here is something weird. Just tried the bit I was having problems with regarding the friendly AI and guess what... I made it through first time because the AI worked okay.

It must be an intermittent bug that is causing the friendly AI to lock into what I am now going to call "Panic Mode" because later on it happened again. Restarted the PS3 and the problem went away again. Now I know it's an intermittent problem I can understand why ND haven't fixed it. Intermittent bugs are really hard to track down.

Oh and regarding the fanboy thing... I should have included a smiley to show I was joking.

Message 14 of 35 (3,776 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Jul 3, 2013

EG_NeoMorph wrote:

Tess and Ellie's AI Truly SUCKS at present.

I've been trying this on Hard and nearly every time I die due to Clickers is due to either Tess or Ellie litterally RUNNING into me or one of the infected. There was me, following instructions to not alert the Clickers and moving slow only to find the Ellie and Tess running into me and phasing into my body, causing it to blip  and move which alerts the Clickers. Drives me nuts.

Surely, if Joel is moving slowly THEN ELLIE AND TESS SHOULD MOVE SLOWLY TOO. It's not rocket science here people.

I've played it through on Normal and just wanted to see how much worse it was on Hard. And it is... drastically at times. The infected are so much more alert and due to the silly team AI it makes it more like BONKERS IMPOSSIBLE HARD than just plain hard.

Also one thing is really annoying me. How come runners don't cause Clickers to chase them? They are making loads of noise, look human and are totally ignored. It's like the designers totally had a blindspot here. They should have made it so that you either had Runners or Clickers and if there were both then the Clickers should have fought the Runners too. Do they have some sort of biological Friend or Foe detection built in?

But ultimately if Naughty Dog fix the AI issue then it would improve the game no end. I'm not asking to make it easier... Keep everything the same but just make the AI creep around AND STAY QUIET when there are enemies around and Joel is creeping. If Joel stops... THEY SHOULD STOP TOO.

I have seen Tess and Ellie run back and forward like morons... around infeced, Army and scavengers while Joel is just sat there in cover. Most of the time the enemy seem to ignore them but for some reason it really pees of the Clickers and instead of them going after the ones making the noise THEY COME AFTER JOEL. I seriously wanted to cap Tess and Ellie after the 10th time they ran into the Clickers and got themselves and/or Joel killed even though Joel was nowhere near any infected... In the end I said sod this game, put it in its case and vowed to not touch it again until the AI is patched.

So come on Naughty Dog. PLEASE FIX THIS AI PROBLEM.

I have mixed views on their helpfulness.  There have been some times recently when there have been a shedload of enemies and I've counted them; taken most of them out and found I'm all clear because they've taken one or two out themselves.  Other times, however, they do run around and cause problems.  When I'm supposed to be using stealth as you mention, they run ahead of me or attract attention. We're supposed to be being QUIET!  So yes, that is really annoying.  

Their clues are usually very helpful but sometimes confusing.  Yesterday we went into somewhere and one said "torches out everybody!"  I turned my torch off and struggled through the darkness.  What he actually meant was "get your torches out your bags and turn them on" but I had mine out and lit already, and assumed he meant "put your light out"  D'Oh!

Message 15 of 35 (3,759 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
901 posts

Jul 3, 2013

It's hard mode for a reason!

Message 16 of 35 (3,758 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Ryuu-jin882 wrote:

It's hard mode for a reason!

I don't have any problems with the difficulty. It's the fact that the teammate AI should be moving slow and NOT RUNNING AROUND LIKE A BRAINLESS IDIOT. Actually at times that is what AI stands for. Actual Idiot.

For example, I'm successfully moving across this garden area with Bill... First off Bill runs into a runner and starts shooting... and the one they go for is JOEL. Next time across I get to the exit and Ellie runs right into a clicker. Once again... ends up in a firefight.

The tutoral says "Avoid combat if your stocks are low" but when the AI actually FORCES you into combat due to bad AI routines then it gets frustrating. I've lost count of the number of times that Ellie has pushed in front of me just as I was about to grab an enemy, blocking me and then letting the clicker kill me. ENDLESS times.

Yes, give me hard difficulty but stop the AI from screwing up PLEASE. I love the game but when the AI messes up I just want to throw the damned game out the window. I mean... how hard would it be to force the AI to move slow when Joel is crouched down.

Oh yeah and another instance last night had Ellie push me through a darned locked door (one of those shiv ones). Was quite funny because I hadn't got a shiv at the time. Had enought stuff in the room to make a shiv to get out and then Ellie says "I wonder what is in there?" or something like that.

Message 17 of 35 (3,747 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jul 3, 2013
I thought the AI was okay, specially Ellie, she'd throw bricks and bottles at the most convenient times.

I admit sometimes the AI would just start running around like a headless chicken when i was trying to pass the stage stealthily, Ellie and Bill were the ones who would run the most, but they never bumped my body that hard to actually alert the clickers. Smiley Very Happy

Also, sometimes the enemies would spot Bill and they'd start trying to kill me, as if i was Bill, that never happened with Ellie, Tess, Henry or Sam, the enemy would see my AI but it never counted! Only with Bill. I'm pretty sure that's a glitch.
Message 18 of 35 (3,739 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jul 3, 2013

The enemy AI stood out the most for me. They react like you would think a human would react. Just clever, Naughty Dog. 

Message 19 of 35 (3,734 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 3, 2013

I think the AI was dumbed down to keep the game from being too frustrating. If the enemy AI could react to anyone other than you then they would be spotting your friendlies too often, practically making stealth impossible. 

I suppose ND went with the lesser of two evils but I can't help but think how much more realistic and chaotic the gameplay would be if the AI could support three way faction battles, ie. hunters, infected and your team on the same map. 

Message 20 of 35 (3,721 Views)