Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

Re: Anyone Else Think The Teammate AI Sucks?

Jul 3, 2013

Play Survivor. The A.I. is awesome! I hate how people judge the AI based off of the fact that your friendly companions don't get noticed by the enemy. Well DURR, is was meant to be that way. Imagine if they could be seen. You could never stealth. 

Message 21 of 35 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 3, 2013

Survivor? With even less available ammo and no highlights for found objects/supplies making scavenging ten times more difficult? No thanks, I'm not willing to trade one frustration for another.  

Message 22 of 35 (180 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2013

^Exactly my point. But how do you know they were downgraded? We haven't seen them get spotted in the last two E3 demos.
But actually in the final game the companion AI can get into trouble and you have to rescue them. If they die it's game over.

Message 23 of 35 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 3, 2013

renatabls wrote:
I thought the AI was okay, specially Ellie, she'd throw bricks and bottles at the most convenient times.

I admit sometimes the AI would just start running around like a headless chicken when i was trying to pass the stage stealthily, Ellie and Bill were the ones who would run the most, but they never bumped my body that hard to actually alert the clickers. :smileyvery-happy:

Also, sometimes the enemies would spot Bill and they'd start trying to kill me, as if i was Bill, that never happened with Ellie, Tess, Henry or Sam, the enemy would see my AI but it never counted! Only with Bill. I'm pretty sure that's a glitch.

It's exactly this that is so darned annoying. Bill ends up going crazy. That said, I wish I had his machete because it killed more infected than our guns did, except for the car pushing bit. I like playing the game on hard... it's just the right difficulty imho. Not tried Survivor yet (mainly because TLOU is my very first PS3 game and I have been trying to get to grips with this teeny, tiny controller - much prefer the Xbox controller for my big hands).

There was one bit that made me laugh... I was fully hidden and Bill starts going nuts as usual. I could see where he was and when he bumped the runner, the runner immediatly runs like crazy for me and bites my neck. I thought only Hunters could do that (ie find you when you were hidden).

That's another point. Why is it that sometimes when I click to swing my baseball bat that Joel just stands there and lets the enemy attack without even trying to defend? It's like "Oh, this is a canned animation so you have got to let it happen". It's one reason I hate canned animation events. It doesn't feel like you are truly in control of the action.

Other than that, I really like the game. I just hope they fix the glitches with the AI is all. Just stop them running around and blocking is all I am asking. In the end I have found that if the AI is going silly and running around like idiots I just reboot the PS3 and it fixes it for a while so at least there is a workaround.

Message 24 of 35 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

Enemies don't react to friendly AI unless the player is spotted. You're the one getting caught, not them.

sig.png

Message 25 of 35 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 4, 2013

PsiloCube wrote:

Enemies don't react to friendly AI unless the player is spotted. You're the one getting caught, not them.

THANK YOU! Naughty Dog deliberately made it so that friendly AI are completely invisible to enemies as long as the player is not spotted. So if you're trying to be stealthy and you get caught, its not because they're running around all over the place; its because you messed up.

Message 26 of 35 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jul 4, 2013

TheGuzzz wrote:

PsiloCube wrote:

THANK YOU! Naughty Dog deliberately made it so that friendly AI are completely invisible to enemies as long as the player is not spotted. So if you're trying to be stealthy and you get caught, its not because they're running around all over the place; its because you messed up.

I wish I could record the instances where this is obviously wrong. Yes, friendly AI is ignored but when they are running around and push Joel, block Joel etc and just plain glitch out it triggers the enemy. I was hidden behind a wall about 20ft away from the nearest enemy the one time when Bill went bonkers and started shooting. I was completely hidden at the time. Like I KEEP ON SAYING... It's the friendly AI running around and blocking Joel that is so bloody annoying.... and gets fixed when you reboot the console so it is obviously a bug of some kind.

For example, I have lost count of the times the friendly AI has moved into the exact same place that Joel is. Phased right into each others bodies. Or worse, just as I am about to grab an enemy, up runs Ellie or Bill or whoever and CROUCHES DOWN IN FRONT OF ME.

Why ND couldn't have made it so that the friendly AI doesn't crowd Joel, doesn't run back and forward when Joel is crouched, DOESN'T TAKE THE SAME PLACE THAT JOEL IS HIDING IN is beyond my comprehension. It should be easy enough to test for... most other games I have played in the last 10 years have done it. Even COD figures out that if someone is in a specific place not to move an AI character there. That said, Mass Effect was as bad if not worse regarding the restless AI syndrome.

Oh and there is another one regarding the enemy AI... I have grabbed and started strangling an enemy and another enemy appears around a corner. And starts shooting me THROUGH their friend. The guy Joel is strangling should die when the other enemy shoots him but nope... Joel just keeps on strangling and keeps on getting shot. At least when the enemy melee's you during strangulation you break off. Not so if you are getting shot.

Message 27 of 35 (130 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 5, 2013

EG_NeoMorph wrote:

Also one thing is really annoying me. How come runners don't cause Clickers to chase them? They are making loads of noise, look human and are totally ignored. It's like the designers totally had a blindspot here. They should have made it so that you either had Runners or Clickers and if there were both then the Clickers should have fought the Runners too. Do they have some sort of biological Friend or Foe detection built in?

They're all controlled by a particular type of cordycep, and due to fungal growth all over their bodies, I think there's some way that they recognize each other and kinda go "wait a minute, that's my fungi buddy who's trying to turn another guy into a spore machine".

Also, it was hinted that in some way the people inside being controlled by the fungus is still conscious.  This can mean that the fungus is using memory to recognize human and un-human behaviour. That's just a theory that I have though.

Message 28 of 35 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 5, 2013

I will say that I do love it when a friendly AI gets caught by an enemy and the red cross appears indicating that they need you to run to their rescue. It's these kind of cosequences that make the gameplay feel more realistic and believable. 

Message 29 of 35 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jul 5, 2013

Well I never said that the AI couldn't mess you up and get in your way. I'm sure it happens; sometimes Ellie does get in my way and I gotta push her around. But it doesn't change the fact that if they start reacting to enemies, its because they spotted YOU, not them. Even if its because they were in your way, they're still invicible up to that point.

Message 30 of 35 (113 Views)
0 Likes