Jun 18 2013
By: Aqueous12 First Son 7 posts

Arrow Breaking Mechanics

21 replies 3548 views Edited Jun 18, 2013

Yes, I've used the search function before making this thread and seen that there are other threads asking about this, but the responses weren't particularly helpful.  Anyways, here goes:

So does anyone know what the game mechanics are as far as when arrows break?

I feel like I have a general idea from my experience, but maybe it isn't working like I think it is and someone can confirm if it's been the same for them.  

So for me, if I miss and hit the ground or a building or something they always break.  But I have missed and hit a wooden fence before and had it stay intact, so that's interesting.  

But as far as when they stick in bodies I'm very confused.  Does anyone know, it is just a dice roll when you hit an enemy whether or not you will be able to retrieve the arrow?  I've noticed that headshots never let you retrieve the arrow.  It sometimes seems that if the enemy falls in a way that it puts their weight on the arrow it will break.  Does anyone know if this is true, or it really just random and you need to cross your fingers every time you shoot someone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 22 (3,548 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: Arrow Breaking Mechanics

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

in my experience headshots give a 80% chance to retrieve an arrow especialy on clickers for some weird reason

Message 2 of 22 (3,524 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3136 posts

Jun 18, 2013

yeah it's very random for me.

Message 3 of 22 (3,497 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

This is how it should work. 

If it hits a body, then the arrow is still good. Maybe after 5 or so downs with it, it will become dull and you can't use it no more. If you miss, then I think it should have a chance to break unless it hits the dirt or something. I'm not sure if the game is that smart to know that though. lol. 

Message 4 of 22 (3,484 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jun 18, 2013
If you're sneaking, and you hit an enemy in the torso, 80% of the time, you'll get an arrow back, any other place you hit them, you're looking at a 2% chance of getting your arrow back. Headshots are pretty promising in terms of arrow retrieval though.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 5 of 22 (3,430 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Arrow breaking seems to be related to how "hard" you draw the bow. Basically how long you take to aim and shoot. Aim too long = over drawn = broken arrow. Tested by replaying stealth-bus section at end of graveyard 4 times. Following held true 100% of time. Quick hit = you get arrow back. Over draw = break. Miss = break.

Message 6 of 22 (3,178 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jun 27, 2013

I've also hit a guy before and he didn't go down (everthing else I've used an arrow on besides clickers and bloaters go down in one hit). Shot him once with the pistol and that took him out. Should arrows always be a one hit kill?

Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jun 27, 2013

AssistedSuicide wrote:

Arrow breaking seems to be related to how "hard" you draw the bow. Basically how long you take to aim and shoot. Aim too long = over drawn = broken arrow. Tested by replaying stealth-bus section at end of graveyard 4 times. Following held true 100% of time. Quick hit = you get arrow back. Over draw = break. Miss = break.

Really>?  Wow I must test this.  If this is true then my thanks to you!

Message 8 of 22 (3,152 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Upper-body shot = retrieve  arrow

Head shot = broken arrow

Message 9 of 22 (3,143 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jun 27, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

Upper-body shot = retrieve  arrow

Head shot = broken arrow

I got my arrow back from headshot more times than any other places combined. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 22 (3,137 Views)