Jun 19 2013
By: Baconis Splicer 40 posts

Bitter sweet ending (spoilers)

22 replies 2327 views Edited Jun 19, 2013

i'm SUPER glad ND decided to go with a happy ending....  BUT it was.... Bitter sweet?  (is that the word i'm looking for?)

ya both Joel and Ellie have a happy ending but.  Joel had to lie out his **bleep** to Ellie.  Who is in quite the....  Bummer mood over being "Not needed"  If there are sequels, i hope she eventually understands what Joel went through (Physically and Emotionally) to save her :smileytongue:

"Some times i find myself wondering, is it all worth fighting for.... for a future without fear.... ya its worth it!" ~ Kris Redfield, Resident evil 5

"I don't need luck, i've got ammo!" ~Grunt, Mass Effect 3

"After everything we've been through.... After Everything i've done.... It can't all be for nothing." ~Ellie, The Last of Us

"...Hold onto your Morales and Die or do whatever it takes to survive..." ~ Ellie, The Last of Us TV spot
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (2,327 Views)
Splicer
40 posts

Re: Bitter sweet ending (spoilers)

Jun 19, 2013
There was another thread about the ending...apparently there were recordings in the hospital that actually backed up what Joel said: other immunes, failure to find a cure. Although they ARE still looking, so Joel did lie.

I guess how you interpret the entire ending of the game depends on whether or not you picked up that recording.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (2,108 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 19, 2013
It was bittersweet. The main character who you basically play as for 75% of the game makes a selfish decision, although not entirely in the wrong. You really understand why he did it. So at that point its up to the players to decide if what he did was justified.

Its not a happy ending like, we cured the infection and both characters are still alive, yay! Its an ending that can be interpreted many ways and that why its pretty awesome
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (1,970 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7102 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I did NOT think that was a happy ending...

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (1,860 Views)
Sackboy
625 posts

Jun 19, 2013
In my personal opinion there are others immune and I believe Marlene was one of them from one of the documents where she said she healed much faster than normal.
Miami_13 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (1,264 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

I loved the ending, Ellie is all the Joel has left, Joel was willing to do anything to keep her alive even if it meant bringing down mankind chance at survival, id probably do the same. I wouldnt be able to return to normal life, and even if vaccine worked how long would it take for life to return back to "normal" Joel is getting old I dont think it would happen in his lifetime He would probably spend he last years bitter and he watched the world get rebuilt

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (1,202 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I found a surgeons recording that said there was, unusually, a lack of fungal growth in ellie's brain. So does that mean Joel did all that for nothing and they could've gotten a vaccine without killing ellie?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (1,107 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Really?  i'll have to give it another look over when i get to the hospital.

"Some times i find myself wondering, is it all worth fighting for.... for a future without fear.... ya its worth it!" ~ Kris Redfield, Resident evil 5

"I don't need luck, i've got ammo!" ~Grunt, Mass Effect 3

"After everything we've been through.... After Everything i've done.... It can't all be for nothing." ~Ellie, The Last of Us

"...Hold onto your Morales and Die or do whatever it takes to survive..." ~ Ellie, The Last of Us TV spot
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (988 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31577 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 20, 2013

Exsilon wrote:
There was another thread about the ending...apparently there were recordings in the hospital that actually backed up what Joel said: other immunes, failure to find a cure. Although they ARE still looking, so Joel did lie.

I guess how you interpret the entire ending of the game depends on whether or not you picked up that recording.

Spoiler

there was indeed a surgeon recording that hinted at there may have been others who were similar to Ellie. it was vauge though.

the recording transcript:

April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.

regardless of what he said though, Ellie was indeed special and testing with her could have lead to a cure. it could have.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (958 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15724 posts

Jul 5, 2013

That recording makes it sound that all previous infections had the symptom of antigenic titers and fast growth in media.

However... interpreted as however with ELLIE... she's different.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (723 Views)
0 Likes