Splicer
49 posts

Re: Bitter sweet ending (spoilers)

Jul 6, 2013

am so freaking happy with the ending to this video game. Naughty dog told a story. An amazing one at that. I thought it was insanely beautiful what Joel did and just the entire situation. I DO NOT WANT A SEQUEL!!! The story is so beautiful just the way it is. Going forward with Joel and Ellie is anti poetic which is what that ending was. So poetic and beautiful. Now a prequel of sorts for Joel and what he did before he met Ellie or how he got to Boston would be amazing. And with Ellie's back story in between. Golden. Or with entirely different characters would be wonderful as well. All in all; The Last of Us is hands down the best video game I have ever had the pleasure of Experiencing. Well done Naughty Dog.

We all have our lives to live. Chill and enjoy the ride. Take into consideration the situations the people around you are facing. Live Long and Prosper.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 23 (448 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Based on the facial expression of Ellie and the way she asked the question, I feel like she already knew Joel was lying but was almost giving him a "second chance" to tell the truth. But then, after he answers, Ellie realizes that she is now all Joel has left and really has become his daughter in a way and when shes pauses and then says "Okay" I feel like she accepts the fact that Joel needs her and could not afford to lose her as she realizes she is Joels "reason to fight for survival"

Ellie has proven to us throughout the game she is very intelligent so this is why I think maybe she was not so "blind" after all. First thing she notices in the car after  is that she is in a gown for a surgery, so I'm thinking in her mind she asked the question why would they have got her prepped and on the drugs to undergo the surgey only to tell her then that she is not needed. 

The ending is left to be interpreted in many ways which is what makes a great game! I really hope there is no sequel to The Last of Us because I feel theres no real way to continue or recreate the emotional rollercoaster these two went through from her being "just cargo" to Joels "Baby girl". 

Would I love to play another game exactly like this - Yes
Would I love to play more as Joel and Ellie - Yes
Do I think we need to play more with this pair - No 

Thank you ND for this lovely experience! This game gave me so many chills.

Masterpiece. 

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 23 (412 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, was a fitting end and was great.

But with that said, I'm a sap and sucker for happy endings, so I probably wouldve changed it ever so slightly to fit my own tastes XD

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 23 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1633 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

there seems to be a lot of confusion, regarding the recordings, as to whether or not there were other immune individuals. I'm going back and listening to them again, but from what I gather, the one doctor says that the girl is unlike anything he's seen before. I think they were running tests on other infected, but not necessarily immune. and ellie's case was special. Will have to post, word for word, the recordings. personally I see it as Ellie being the only one that's immune, which makes Joel's decision that much more meaningful and dramatic.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 23 (381 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

Same as you.

DerkleMcNerkle wrote:

Yeah, was a fitting end and was great.

But with that said, I'm a sap and sucker for happy endings, so I probably wouldve changed it ever so slightly to fit my own tastes XD

Life is full of sad stories and bad stuff.

When I play games like when I watch movies or read books.  I go for the Happy Ending.

( Maybe a better lie from Joel but also at the very end, just a very little and very subtle smile 0,5 second on Ellie's face will do the job no need for more to let you trully and fully understand that is indeed "OK" )

That's why I want to believe they will be "OK" like Ellie said.

But her sad face puzzled me and left me heartbroken.

So I want to know once and for all, is it good or is it bad ?

Maybe I should ask this clearly in another post.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 23 (357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 6, 2013

I liked the ending , i wanted Joel to go on a rampage to save Ellie.

The only reason she was 'sad' is because the whole ordeal was for 'nothing'. I think she had a pretty good idea that what went down with the fireflies wasn't what Joel told her, but , what can she do about it now? Joel has taken away the obligation/opportunity to do the 'right' thing, and in this case she can't feel guilty about it .

The only thing i would have liked more, is to see them playing guitar on the porch together in spring (perhaps with soem Joel vocals?), or something, to just let you KNOW that everything was alright in the end.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 23 (326 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
864 posts

Jul 7, 2013

The recordings in the hospital talk about other immune people who were operated/killed for little if any scientific knowledge. Apparently Ellie wasn't the first person to be found immune.

The ending was somewhat of a let-down to me. As with the rest of the game after Summer, the pacing just felt off.

I remember hearing that the ending was leaked so I almost think Naughtyy Dogg changed the ending around be4 the game released...

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 23 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 7, 2013
cdub the ending got leaked one month before, there is no possible way they changed the ending
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 23 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

In my opinion, I think Joel does the right thing to do from almost every point of view I can look at ( maybe partly for some selfish reason, but he still do the right thing ).

It may be cool to see Joel teaching Ellie how to swim or playing guitar and Ellie singing at the end but I think this will be too much and a too big demonstration of happiness just not fit in the game's mood.  But, well maybe just a litle, subtle and gentle smile for the last 0.5 second or the same relieved expression after she had feared so much Joel will leave her with Tommy ?

But I just can't read Ellie's toughts at the end ... what is she thinking and which feelings she have ?  That's expression of her puzzled me and sadened me.

Why does she not look relieved like when leaving Tommy with Joel ?  Or simply happy to be alive and free of the burden others where putting on her shoulders from the beginning ?

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 23 (271 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 9, 2013

To further enforce the idea that Ellie accepts Joel's 'lie':

The music playing at the end is called ThePath(New Beginning)

Clearly, this is referring to the new lives Joel and Ellie are starting together in Tommy's town, and how they're putting the past behind them.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 23 (196 Views)
0 Likes