Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 29 2013
By: jealousbanjo First Son 1 posts

Clickers don't make sense

18 replies 751 views Edited Jun 29, 2013

This is pretty nitpicky, but was anyone else bothered by clickers? 

During your first encounter with a clicker, as it makes its clicking sounds,  it's explained that they "see with sound, like bats". Bats use echolaction, sending out sounds (like clickers) and forming images of the environment based on changes in the reflected sound. 

However, all you need to do to avoid them in be silent. You can stand right in front of a clicker and it won't notice you, which is not consistent at all with echolocation. The way you avoid them by being silent just implies that they have good "normal" hearing. 

It's a small issue, but really stood out as a bizarre mistake from Naugthy Dog. 

Message 1 of 19 (751 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: Clickers don't make sense

Jun 29, 2013
It's not a mistake. If you move too fast they will attack you. When you move slow enough you just appear like another object in the room and not a clickers next meal.
-----------
Message 2 of 19 (738 Views)
Gaming Beast
2040 posts

Jun 29, 2013
I've had both events happen. Been in front of them, and they ignore me. Also have had them pick up I was there and attack.

Message 3 of 19 (732 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jun 29, 2013

So they hear sound, and movement?

Message 4 of 19 (730 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jun 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mistake. I think it was intentional on their part. It kinda seems like a whole early evolution thing. Like maybe the first clickers didn't actually click at all. They could've just been blind and that's it. Then maybe as time passed on, they evolved to adapt a clicking habit to help them see better, but its still very primitive. Maybe in another 10 or 20 years, their echolocation will evolve to rival bats, or even better. And don't forget that those darn clickers are one hit kills without the shiv master ability, so you still gotta be careful. And if you ever played survival difficulty, those things are downright frustrating. anything short of the slowest crouch walking Joel can perform will alert them to your presence. Don't underestimate clickers. :smileyfrustrated:

Message 5 of 19 (723 Views)
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jun 29, 2013

JerGodZ wrote:

They can hear like us, but use echolocation to see.

-----------
Message 6 of 19 (719 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

Oh C'mon guys from now put a little, a tiny bit thought into it before posting something on a forum alright, please can you do that for me?

Sorry for being an a**hole right there, but it has to be said. Anyway, It is not a mistake, it's a gameplay design choice or else it would be seriously annoying.

Message 7 of 19 (709 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

Jun 29, 2013

I know right if you are crouched they never see you unless you bump in to them, but if you are standing, not moving and they get close they start freaking out! but I will say the first clicker' "clicks" seem more aggressive? than the clickers roaming about, maybe the small clicks do something different than the ones when they hear something and start looking... i don't know.

photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Message 8 of 19 (704 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 30, 2013

you have to keep in mind, it was an in-game character that gave the bat comparison, not a developer. three possibilities that explain it:

1. that character just doesn't fully understand how bats work, so as far as they're concerned it makes sense, when in reality it doesn't

2. they chose to give a short but sweet description of how clickers work, since they were sneaking through a building full of infected. not a great time to give a long-winded diatribe on exactly how a clicker works

3. the character thought that clickers actually used proper echolocation, but just didn't know enough about them to realize that they really don't have that capability and just rely on basic hearing like a regular human

Message 9 of 19 (585 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1641 posts

Jun 30, 2013

JerGodZ wrote:

No, if you're still, you seem like a part of the environment, if you move fast, you seem like a potential threat.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 10 of 19 (532 Views)