Jun 25 2013
By: stentryk Survivor 2480 posts

Clickers use echolocation... but not really?

13 replies 1166 views Edited Jun 25, 2013

So, like bats, Clickers are supposed to use echolocation (because they're blind). And I'm pretty sure echolocation is a way to "see", when the clicking sounds bounces back from the environments around the clickers, back to the clickers so they know what is around them.

However when playing the game, they only respond to the noise you make, it's like that is the only way for them to find you.

But shouldn't they be able to locate Joel (and the others) without any noise to help them, using the echolocation? Sure they might think that you're just a part of the environment, but when Joel and the others move around, that should clearly give it away, shouldn't it?

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 1 of 14 (1,166 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Re: Clickers use echolocation... but not really?

Jun 25, 2013
You're right, but maybe they only use echolation to see and maybe overlooked the fact that Joel is moving. Usually in rooms with a clicker there other runners/clickers/bloaters too though, so the clickers could just think its them. So if thats true the only way for them to really know theres a human around is sound
Message 2 of 14 (1,160 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1992 posts

Jun 25, 2013

They use Echo Location in the direction they (bats and clickers) want to go. They emmit a sound to bounce of objects wither they are moving or not so they don't crash into anything or locate moving prey to eat them.

Message 3 of 14 (1,145 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jun 25, 2013

keep in mind that Clickers are still people, they arent bats. the Cordyceps only makes them blind and makes them echolocate, it doesnt increase their hearing of give them superhero radar.

their echolocation is only as good as humans can echolocate, and last time i checked we arent very good at it. Smiley Tongue

with that in mind, Clickers use echolocation to travel. to see objects in their way and move. if Joel is just standing there, they will see him as just an object, even if youre moving slowly they wont recognize him. its not until he makes sound or runs that they attack.

Message 4 of 14 (1,068 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 25, 2013
If Clickers echolocation are only as good as a human's, then they wouldnt be echolocating at all because humans can't echolocate.. Lol.
Message 5 of 14 (1,060 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
If Clickers echolocation are only as good as a human's, then they wouldnt be echolocating at all because humans can't echolocate.. Lol.

yes they can.

a lot of blind people have learned to echolocate.

and guess how they do? they make clicking noises! Smiley Surprised

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

Message 6 of 14 (1,048 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 25, 2013
I still think the fungus makes them better at echolocation

With that logic, as Bloaters are still humans, that means a human has the ability to rip a man's face in 2
Message 7 of 14 (1,040 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jun 25, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:

With that logic, as Bloaters are still humans, that means a human has the ability to rip a man's face in 2

its called "muscle", bro.

Message 8 of 14 (1,036 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 25, 2013
I've only played on hard and survivor, but they can 'see' me when I'm not moving if they walk close enough. That's happened a couple times. I got in position and waited for them to walk past, and when they got within two feet of me they attacked. I didn't stand a chance. I have creeped around them when they are idle. As long as I stay about 5 or more feet away they don't notice me. If I try to creep too close, about two feet or less, they wake up no matter how slow I try to go. Maybe they hear my heartbeat. I believe they don't discern details of the environment except enough to avoid walking into walls, but something lets them recognize me when I"m not moving. And I'm pretty sure they are more sensitive on the harder difficulties.
Message 9 of 14 (1,009 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1603 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

BLOATERMEME.png

Message 10 of 14 (976 Views)