Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 20 2013
By: Intangible_Truth Lombax Warrior 178 posts

Collectibles and In-Game Store Content For Campaign

12 replies 704 views Edited Feb 20, 2013

Hey there forum goers! I’m not sure what ND will add by way of replay value, though it’s rumored that there’ll be a New Game +, or so I read somewhere in this forum. In any case, one thing that killed UC3 for me was the lack of an in-game store in the campaign. I only played through UC3 twice, and that was only because I lost my save data and trophies and had to replay through the campaign again. UCDF and UC2, on the other hand, I played through 5+ times each. So assuming there is an in-game store in The Last of Us, I’ve conjured up some ideas for fun.

I’ve noticed (though surely this isn’t confirmed) that food is not used in this game, let’s say, to the degree that it is used in MGS3: Snake Eater, for example. So instead of having collectibles just for the sake of having them, as many games do (UC3 included), what if collectibles could be used as currency that would go towards the in-game campaign store? In a world where, theoretically, nothing holds monetary value, materials like food, gas, water, etc. carry the most significance. So what if collecting (or even hunting?) various foods and rare salvageable items could be traded into the in-game store for rewards and bonuses (most of which fit the tone of the game, of course)?

Maybe the in-game store, like in UC, could be accessed through the Start menu. Though in my opinion, I’d like to access the store by encountering various merchants spread throughout the game which whom I can trade with. Though this would only accentuate the realism of the game, it would still be a welcome feature nonetheless. You can trade in items for crafting materials, more refined weapons (maybe even joke weapons for post-game content, gotta love ND humor), skins (infected Joel and Ellie!), gameplay tweaks, etc.

Just food for thought. I’m not sure if ND would have enough time to include features like this, that is, if it’s not already in the game. What are your opinions on these features or other post-game content ideas for SP? 

Message 1 of 13 (704 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Re: Collectibles and In-Game Store Content For Campaign

Feb 20, 2013

Yeah man, I feel the same way. Having an in-game store again with special and humourous unlockables along with a new game + would so much replay value for me. I think I played through Uncharted 2 at least.... 15 times. Something around there. Mainly because of the PSN hack, but still. :smileyhappy: 

Like you said, having a merchant would be a cool feature instead of just clicking on what you want in the menu.  

Hopefully something like this gets released, it would the game way better for me at the least.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 2 of 13 (658 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Instead of single player stores, I would rather want to have arcadey challenges like in God Of War 3 and Batman: Arkahm City.

Message 3 of 13 (623 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
604 posts

Feb 23, 2013

This is a great idea, I was really disappointed they weren't used in U3.

A good topic would be what is actually used for currency. In my opinion I think it'd be fine to just complete challenges like in U1 and you eventually earn all of the rewards. Perhaps less grindy ones and more feats of skill, like completing a stage without having to fight or even for the hardcore people, beating the game without firing a gun.

Unlocks should vary between tweaks (All NPC's appear as the infected, Joel has no weapons, Ellie no longer exists), maybe some skins for Joel, I don't know about Ellie though, what she wears during the story doesn't really concern me XD Nothing overly quirky like Tess with Joel's voice or Joel in a clown costume, but still retain a little humour. This game will be a little less on the funny side in my guess, so I can't imagine doughnut Joel.

Message 4 of 13 (578 Views)
Fender Bender
2852 posts

Feb 24, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

Instead of single player stores, I would rather want to have arcadey challenges like in God Of War 3 and Batman: Arkahm City.

I think a challenge mode like Batman Arkham Aylum and Batman Arkham City would fit great in this game, especially the one with the stealth, make a room, put a couple of bad guys in them and give the player a couple of challenges of how to defeat them, although in the arkham series it's more fun because it is more diverse, batman has a ton of gadgets and different moves at his disposal, while joel doesn't really have that, it's not really that fun to have tasks like: beat up a guy with a brick, beat up a guy with a pipe and shoot a guy with a shotgun, that's not funny at all, so unless they come up with some creative tasks I think it could have potential, I don't know how deep the AI is going to be but maybe something like this: make an opponent shoot his buddy - and then you first have to make them scared by taking down all the other guys, and then lure them towards eachother and one of them might freak out and accidently shoot his buddy, or if the opponents have limited ammo, make a challenge in which you have to let an opponent waste all his ammo on you without hitting you, then take him down, some things like that could make it fun...

Message 5 of 13 (510 Views)
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Mar 4, 2013

Lt_K4RL0S wrote:

This is a great idea, I was really disappointed they weren't used in U3.

A good topic would be what is actually used for currency. In my opinion I think it'd be fine to just complete challenges like in U1 and you eventually earn all of the rewards. Perhaps less grindy ones and more feats of skill, like completing a stage without having to fight or even for the hardcore people, beating the game without firing a gun.

Unlocks should vary between tweaks (All NPC's appear as the infected, Joel has no weapons, Ellie no longer exists), maybe some skins for Joel, I don't know about Ellie though, what she wears during the story doesn't really concern me XD Nothing overly quirky like Tess with Joel's voice or Joel in a clown costume, but still retain a little humour. This game will be a little less on the funny side in my guess, so I can't imagine doughnut Joel.

Ah Doughnut Joel would be quite a sight, maybe even Doughnut Ellie :smileyvery-happy:. The MGS franchise comes to mind when I think of how to incorporate worthwhile post-game content. There was so much to unlock after completing the MGS4 campaign, and most of those rewards had some kind of effect on the gameplay, which heightened my incentive for wanting to unlock them. 

Message 6 of 13 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

Mar 5, 2013

I think they could easily have 'cheats' like unbreakable melee weapons, or infinite ammo.

And I too think arcadey challenges would be cool.nAnd I don't think it would be so hard to make threm fun, even without all of Batman's gadgets.

Message 7 of 13 (349 Views)
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

I think they could easily have 'cheats' like unbreakable melee weapons, or infinite ammo.

And I too think arcadey challenges would be cool.nAnd I don't think it would be so hard to make threm fun, even without all of Batman's gadgets.

Some of those cheats are what made UCDF and UC2 fun! Definitely wouldn't mind if they implemented some of those. 

Message 8 of 13 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Mar 28, 2013

So I caught this in the IGN preview article a while back. Not many other publications have commented on it, but I trust IGN enough to deem it as confirmation:

"Collectibles listed in this demo include: Notes, Comics, Firefly Logs, and Training Manuals. Your menu shows you how many are in a level and how many you’ve collected thus far. Notes found in the game are three-dimension objects that feature handwriting. They’re not text that pops on your screen."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/the-last-of-us-the-sights-and-sounds

This might also confirm the possibility of some kind of "reward" system, seeing how there are multiple collectibles to gather. 

Message 9 of 13 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Mar 28, 2013

I guess the Firefly journals are entries from the rebel group your bringing Ellie to. I think it'd be nice to know more about them.  

Anyways, good find!

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 10 of 13 (186 Views)
0 Likes