Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 05 2013
By: MaidenVelka Hekseville Citizen 339 posts

Concerning Tags and Unlockables

10 replies 262 views Edited Sep 5, 2013

I know there are other threads on Tags already, but I searched them and the first page of results did not include an answer for my questions.

I am a completionist and want to unlock everything (have already given up on the skull mask though, it's not worth another 12 week journey to get 84 or 83 survivors again.)  I just found out that I did not understand how the menu-currency worked, the stuff you use to purchase the unlockables.

I had been assuming for four games now that it was simply an amount awarded for completing the game.  I never paid attention to the amount and simply assumed that I would have to play a forth playthrough.  No big deal.
I was wrong.  I've been reading that the menu-currency is directly related to Tags, the somewhat silly achievements that are in the game, akin to what you find on Steam games.

Anyway, I also read a thread yesterday in which the poster stated that he completed all the tags and just barely had enough money remaining after purchasing all the unlockables.  I have a fair amount of Tags unearned, I'd wager a guess at 40%, but I also only have 7 skins remaining to unlock, and that's it, and none of them are more than $500.  So...

1) Is it true that you have to earn every single tag (with maybe a small exception because that poster said he was $250 over) in order to have enough menu-currency to purchase everything?

2) Are the credits for the Tags spread across all games, excusing the ones that are 'one-playthrough-specific?'  As in, can I kill 30 people with a molotov in one playthrough, and then 20 more in another to get the Tag?

3) Can you simply do chapter select and add on to the Tag totals, or do you have to run an entire game each time you hope to earn tags.

I'm already a little disappointed because I wasted a bunch of playing time and earned next to nothing, and I don't get to play very often (fourth game just finished after all this time, and it was a rushed, easy+ run).  If question #1 is a positive answer, that you need to earn all the Tags, then I will likely not bother, and getting the Platinum after my third run will be good enough.  However, if questions #2 and #3 are also positive, then I will thoroughly enjoy myself going through chapter select, ****ing up the enemies with violence (the majority of the Tags I have yet to earn are weapon related, because I prefer to stealth my way through the game).

Sorry this is such a long post!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Re: Concerning Tags and Unlockables

Sep 5, 2013

Well, I have answers to two of my questions.

2) and 3) it must be all inclusive, meaning that so long as you earn the Tag, it's earned, and therefore so is the money.  I loaded up a chapter, the underground tunnel part and killed my first bloater at close range.  Didn't see the tag pop (I don't even know if they do, I don't recall ever seeing one while playing), but I checked my Tags and sure enough, that one was checked off.

As far as 1) goes, I'm guessing you do have to get just about all of them.  That one only gave me $100, and I still need to unlock six skins.  I'm going to keep plugging away at it, but it will be fun enough since I can simply use chaper select :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
89 posts

Sep 5, 2013
There is another way to get extra money but I wanted to do it without exploiting the system (that's why I only had 250 extra after getting all unlockables). If you are in an area that allows you to unlock a tag just reload your save every time you achieve it without progressing. You will keep the currency but the tag progress will reset. If you plan on getting them all anyway then you won't need to do this though.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Sep 8, 2013
You can also delete the savefile where you earned them.
As currency and unlockables are tied to your profile, tags are only tied to a particular savefile.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Sep 8, 2013

All the tags were completed, and all the bonus content purchased.  It seems to be an exact process, as I had $0 left over.

I didn't know Tags were assigned to a save file, that would have been a great tip had it been an issue.

I did have one very strange thing happen, and only with one tag.  The creating Smoke Bombs (30).  All the other create tags (I only had Bombs and Molotovs to also still earn) I was able to restart the same checkpoint over and over again until the quota was met, and the Tag unlocked.

Not with Smoke Bombs however.  I crafted them up until thirty, and my statistic even said that I had crafted 30.  So I left the game and checked my Tags to find it had not popped.  I go back ito the Statistics menu to find that I am now at only ten crafted, which is insane because that is what I started with.  I'm sure it was just a glitch, but I found that I had to go to any checkpoint and craft three ONLY, play through to the next save point, and then quit.  Only by doing this was I able to add upon my total crafted.  I couldn't replay the same areas at all, and ended up seeing seven areas of the game in Chapter Select for the one tag.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Sep 8, 2013

MaidenVelka wrote:

All the tags were completed, and all the bonus content purchased.  It seems to be an exact process, as I had $0 left over.

I didn't know Tags were assigned to a save file, that would have been a great tip had it been an issue.

I did have one very strange thing happen, and only with one tag.  The creating Smoke Bombs (30).  All the other create tags (I only had Bombs and Molotovs to also still earn) I was able to restart the same checkpoint over and over again until the quota was met, and the Tag unlocked.

Not with Smoke Bombs however.  I crafted them up until thirty, and my statistic even said that I had crafted 30.  So I left the game and checked my Tags to find it had not popped.  I go back ito the Statistics menu to find that I am now at only ten crafted, which is insane because that is what I started with.  I'm sure it was just a glitch, but I found that I had to go to any checkpoint and craft three ONLY, play through to the next save point, and then quit.  Only by doing this was I able to add upon my total crafted.  I couldn't replay the same areas at all, and ended up seeing seven areas of the game in Chapter Select for the one tag.

Hmm, I am pretty sure it unlocked for me in the same way as all the other tags.

Saying that, you have to save after getting the required amount [and make sure not to delete any save files that contain any tag information] otherwise the number will decrease.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Sep 9, 2013

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Sep 9, 2013
(Excuse the empty post. I'd edit it, but my phone allows me no such choice.)

It was definitely a glitch, had to be.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
89 posts

Sep 10, 2013
On a related note, has anyone unlocked the multiplayer tags? I have 2/4 of the faction tags which show up as having the trophy filled in but there is no diamond looking thing after them like all the other tags.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1334 posts

Sep 10, 2013

McGregorJ wrote:
On a related note, has anyone unlocked the multiplayer tags? I have 2/4 of the faction tags which show up as having the trophy filled in but there is no diamond looking thing after them like all the other tags.

Nope, but the trophies are filled.

So, no diamonds either [and I have 4/4]

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (130 Views)
0 Likes