First Son
1 posts

Re: Content Filter

Jul 11, 2013

Do you have children? I know if my kids see somebody killing someone, they aren't gonna go out and do it, but heck, if they hear a cuss word, they'd go and say it in school, then I look like a bad parent. 

Message 81 of 118 (257 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 12, 2013

The Last of Us is a brutal, emotionally-wrenching game. To mormonize it would be heresy. The whole point of the game is to shock you, to disgust you, to make you think about what people would do to each other in a time of unimaginable crisis. There is no "toning down" this game, and Naughty Dog are too respectable to ever bow to such requests. This country is not about censoring what you find to be "offensive". What we do here is allow everything, even the things we find MOST offensive (as long as nobody is getting hurt in the process). We allow Klan rallies, Naxi marches, and Westboro Baptist Church to scream obscenenities at the grieving families of dead soldiers. As disgusting morally as these things may seem, it is important for all civilized countries (I won't claim America is some sort of paradise of free speech, that would be absurd) to tolerate them for the sake of the free exchange of all ideas. All intelligent people understand this to some degree.

Secondly, to ask an artist to tone down his work so that it doesn't offend YOU so much is an absolute joke. To whoever suggested the game should be censored, how about you go back to playing Call of Duty with gore turned off? I have a feeling you would connect better with that game.

Message 82 of 118 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
570 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Get out of here moron. I have the game, without the content filter. It was a suggestion. There is a content filter. Apparently Naughty Dog did bow to this request, now get out.

Message 83 of 118 (231 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

Get out of here moron. I have the game, without the content filter. It was a suggestion. There is a content filter. Apparently Naughty Dog did bow to this request, now get out.

Are you talking to me? First of all, if you are going to play the Last of Us with a content filter, you will be missing out on the raw emotion and terror that the characters are trying to express to your small, sensitive, christian mind. I think the issue is your small worldview cannot handle it.

Answer me this; how are you not offended by somebody's face being smashed (by YOUR character) by a metal pole, but offended when somebody uses a "naughty word". This is the problem living in America. You are surrounded by hypocritical, bible-toting clowns who believe other people's work (art even) should be changed so that THEY aren't offended. Sorry, that's just not the way it works in civilized countries.

I would never even consider purchasing a toned-down version of any game. That's not what the devs intended you to play.

Message 84 of 118 (208 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 12, 2013

tch2296 wrote:

JOSH55886 wrote:

Are you talking to me? First of all, if you are going to play the Last of Us with a content filter, you will be missing out on the raw emotion and terror that the characters are trying to express to your small, sensitive, christian mind. I think the issue is your small worldview cannot handle it.

Answer me this; how are you not offended by somebody's face being smashed (by YOUR character) by a metal pole, but offended when somebody uses a "naughty word". This is the problem living in America. You are surrounded by hypocritical, bible-toting clowns who believe other people's work (art even) should be changed so that THEY aren't offended. Sorry, that's just not the way it works in civilized countries.

I would never even consider purchasing a toned-down version of any game. That's not what the devs intended you to play.

I've played the game without the content filter and would of loved it with it just as good. I didn't like all the cussing in the game, it was pretty annoying when every other word was a cuss word. I get using the cussing whenever you escape a clicker or what not but whenever im choking someone and then ellie randomly drops a F-bomb, that's ridiculous.

I get cussing is a strong form of emotions expressed in words but there are plenty of alternatives that are just as strong, it all depends on your own discipline. Also I get its a post apocalyptic world and no one cares. But if you want a "civilized" country you should try not to lose your morals through it all.

To answer your question, its all personal preference, Im not offended by the smashing of faces but the cussing is overboard. Also I can control who's face I smash in, I can not control what my character says though!

Also you should try not to always isolate Christians as the only people trying to change other's works so they are not offended. Everyone does it, just alot of people have a strong hate for Christians so they are the ones always singled out. 

After reading my post you will probably be like this:  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻  

If so, I probably will read your post but not reply just a FYI Smiley Happy 

So, cya

Message 85 of 118 (204 Views)
Splicer
44 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

I find the smoking of cigarettes objectionable, but I understand why people do it; having been a smoker in life previously.

I don't like it when people smoke around me, but I definitely don't go out of my way to tell them I don't like it, nor do I tell them to stop. That being said, asking to add a Swear Filter to TLOU would be, in my opinion, akin to asking to add a Smoking Filter to Metal Gear because I find it "morally consequential".

Snake smokes, and I love Snake. Nothing will change that. It builds his character whether you believe it's "moral" or not.

However, the games message isn't primarily about Snake being a smoker; just like how this game isn't primarily about how the characters in this game have a language "problem".

Additionally: If the act of cussing is so morally objectionable, doesn't that make Joel more of a flawed protagonist to you personally? And if so, don't you find that strange as that is more or less the point of his entire story arc?

Doesn't that give him more of that anti-hero edge that the developers wanted? Doesn't that make Ellie's calcified personality all the more uneasy for us to accept from a young girl?

Don't get me wrong, I respect your guys' opinion on wanting a Swear Filter; but due to the amount of audio recutting and reimplementation (likely causing a large patch to add the edited audio lines) the chances of this happening in post-release are pretty slim. It may be better to accept the cussing and use it to propel the fiction of the world forward into that uneasy terrirory the developers intended, rather than to let yourself actively use it as a reason to detract from it.

Message 86 of 118 (199 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jul 12, 2013

FissionSt wrote:

I find the smoking of cigarettes objectionable, but I understand why people do it; having been a smoker in life previously.

I don't like it when people smoke around me, but I definitely don't go out of my way to tell them I don't like it, nor do I tell them to stop. That being said, asking to add a Swear Filter to TLOU would be, in my opinion, akin to asking to add a Smoking Filter to Metal Gear because I find it "morally consequential".

Snake smokes, and I love Snake. Nothing will change that. It builds his character whether you believe it's "moral" or not.

However, the games message isn't primarily about Snake being a smoker; just like how this game isn't primarily about how the characters in this game have a language "problem".

Additionally: If the act of cussing is so morally objectionable, doesn't that make Joel more of a flawed protagonist to you personally? And if so, don't you find that strange as that is more or less the point of his entire story arc?

Doesn't that give him more of that anti-hero edge that the developers wanted? Doesn't that make Ellie's calcified personality all the more uneasy for us to accept from a young girl?

Don't get me wrong, I respect your guys' opinion on wanting a Swear Filter; but due to the amount of audio recutting and reimplementation (likely causing a large patch to add the edited audio lines) the chances of this happening in post-release are pretty slim. It may be better to accept the cussing and use it to propel the fiction of the world forward into that uneasy terrirory the developers intended, rather than to let yourself actively use it as a reason to detract from it.

I completely agree with you on this. I don't mind the cussing in cutscenes because there is more emotion in those compared to while im in the middle of a fight. Also i can get why Ellie cusses so much is due to the world she grew up in. It did suprise me the first time i started playing the amount they cussed, but it didn't keep me from enjoying it. I can enjoy the game with/without it,

I thought it was a good suggestion(the filter). I just have problem with people that when they disgree with you they blow up and start making you seem like you're a terrible person because of YOUR opinion/preferances. That last statement was not directed towards you obviously Smiley Happy

Message 87 of 118 (193 Views)
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jul 12, 2013
The game is rated M for a reason.
-----------
Message 88 of 118 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Jul 12, 2013
^ exactly. ESRB exists for a reason. To give game developers freedom for creation while at the same time informing buyers that what they are buying may or may not be suitable for someone
Message 89 of 118 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 13, 2013

Rated Mature for a reason....

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 90 of 118 (172 Views)
0 Likes