Sackboy
570 posts

Re: Content Filter

Jul 13, 2013

Please read the thread. There is a content filter. It isn't toned down, because it's optional, and that was awhile back. It was a suggestion. This thread is over a YEAR old.

I didn't use it either.

Message 91 of 118 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 13, 2013
It strikes me as ironic that people are offended by the F-bombs when the character who uses them the most seems to be everyone's favorite character: Ellie

On topic, it's not like people go "HEHEHE" or take pleasure every time someone swears in this game.. and usually, they are placed in good context. I will say that Ellie's use of cuss words may be reasonable concern, but I will say that 14 year olds nowadays do cuss like that anyway. 20 years into an apocalypse and it's kind of expected to swear like that when nobody really cares about swearing anymore
Message 92 of 118 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 13, 2013
(Sorry Josh for replying but my reply was not directed at you, just in general

Also I typed that up before I reloaded the page and your post appeared)
Message 93 of 118 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jul 13, 2013

That's alright, I just wish this thread wouldn't have been brought back from the dead.

Message 94 of 118 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

Azeri_Ireza wrote:
I don't mind the cussing in cutscenes because there is more emotion in those compared to while im in the middle of a fight. Also i can get why Ellie cusses so much is due to the world she grew up in. It did suprise me the first time i started playing the amount they cussed, but it didn't keep me from enjoying it. I can enjoy the game with/without it,

I thought it was a good suggestion(the filter). I just have problem with people that when they disgree with you they blow up and start making you seem like you're a terrible person because of YOUR opinion/preferances. That last statement was not directed towards you obviously Smiley Happy

You have yet to asnwer my question: how are you not offended by your character smashing somebody's brains in, in all its brutality, but get huffy-puffy when a swear word was used? It's the friggin' end of the world; how do you think people would be talking? I find people like you humorous, I don't think you're a bad person, I just think you are naive and silly. I think you don't understand the idea that somebody else's art (and TLoU is art, as far as I'm concerned) shold never be toned down so that christians and such (sorry, but people making these complaints always are) are not offended. Why did you buy such a brutually violent game about the end of the world and human suffering if you don't want to hear cuss words? I find that kinda funny. Again, I don't mean to attack you personally, and I apologize if I offended you; but I stand by my argument 100%.

Message 95 of 118 (296 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 13, 2013
If there is a meaningful discussion going on about censorship in games, then what does the age of the thread matter?
Message 96 of 118 (293 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 13, 2013

well i have to say i kinda enjoy the fact that there is a more mature community with TLoU.

it is really great to play a game online without flaming and raging kiddies aged 12-14.

Message 97 of 118 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 14, 2013

DeBabba wrote:

well i have to say i kinda enjoy the fact that there is a more mature community with TLoU.

it is really great to play a game online without flaming and raging kiddies aged 12-14.

Amen Brutha

Message 98 of 118 (276 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 1, 2013

I agree with what CTag25 said in another post:

"After watching the demo for the Last of Us presented at E3, I couldn't help but notice (as it was used often) the frequent use of the F-word.  I understand why the language is there and that many people do not find the language offensive. That is fine. I am not asking to take out language. I am however asking how many of you would appreciate an option to not have the language? I am a 27 year old gamer and I enjoy playing many types of videogames.  I have noticed a common trend in many videogames that I enjoy playing however, and that is how profanity (especially the F word) is increasing.  From Battlefield 3, to Farcry 3, to Watch Dogs, and the Last of Us, just about every game I enjoy is being bombarded with heavy profanity.  Again, I'm not asking to take it out, I would just appreciate an option to turn it off.  I know it can't be that hard to add a filter.  Now, I know this may seem unusual since I have seen many argue that it is a contradiction to be willing to kill computer generated people and not be willing to listen to the F word.  Although some may find it a contradiction, the point remains that I don't enjoy it and I was wondering how many of you feel the same way? I would even be willing to pay a little extra for a patch to be created down the road that edits out the language. Granted, if a language filter is an option, us gamers shouldn't have to pay for it, it should just be included. To those of you, and I know there will be some, who argue that "this is an M rated game, grow up", I say that isn't it better to have MORE options in a game, not less? Isn't it better to increase the amount of people who will play the game, rather than shut them out? I am interested in any and all responses to this."

I'm from Brazil and the portuguese voices are awesome, the translations sound perfect, including the swear words.

Anyway, adding a optional language filter wouldn't hurt anyone.

Message 99 of 118 (227 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2015

The reason that these games are so full of profanity is because they are attempting to recreate the emotional intensity of whatever situation they are simulating. If you are ducking into a foxhole dodging bullets you certainly aren't going to be reigning in your language. In games like The Last of Us, the profanity is used in a relatively tasteful manner, in situations where you would absolutely expect a reasonable person to use profanity.

This is similar to the whole "clean movie" editing business that has become popular mostly among Mormon families. They take R-rated films, cut the profanity and sex out, and reduce the violence. They then send it out like Netflix to families all over the country who "want to experience the movie, but don't want all the nasty stuff". It is even heavier editing than you would find on cable TV. The result is so watered down that it isn't even an accurate representation of what the director intended for his audience. It's a joke really. The intense emotion is just sapped away.

The problem here is that people don't understand that art (in the form of film or in the form of games like The Last of Us) comes as a whole package. You don't pick and choose which pieces you want to keep, and if you do, then you aren't playing the game it was designed to be played. But hey, there are always going to be people out there who promote censorship in order to "preserve family values". I say **bleep**. Smiley Wink

Mod edit: Avoiding profanity filter. Click here for more information on the Rules of Conduct. - SpicyGoose19

Message 100 of 118 (211 Views)