Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 08 2012
By: JOSH55886 Sackboy 548 posts

Content Filter

113 replies 4439 views Edited Jun 8, 2012

Naughty Dog, I'm wondering if you are willing, or already have, or are planning on implementing a content filter into your game. You want this to be a more mature game, which is understandable. But it would be great if you could add a content filter. More people would be able to buy an enjoy your game. It seemed when I mentioned it in another thread, someone was upset by the idea, saying for you guys to not change the game. But,  of course the content filter would be optional. The violence is not so much an issue as the language is. Being able to tone the language down, at least getting rid of the F-Word would be nice. And the violence could be toned down by removing blood, or removing blood splattering on walls, floors, etc, and gore, if there is any. Just think of it as filters in other games, like Call of Duty Black Ops for example.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would add a content filter to the game, as I"m sure others would too. And if you can't, or don't want to, I'd like to at least know why you are against adding it.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 114 (4,439 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Re: Content Filter

Jun 8, 2012

well, it'd probably take away from the experience. 

I've been playing mature games for a very long time, I think any normal person should be able to soak in this game at many ages. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 114 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
548 posts

Jun 8, 2012

It may a little. But if it means getting it to more people why not? It's not like they are taking it away. They would just make it as an option for the people who want it.

I hope they do. It would be nice. And shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 114 (4,439 Views)
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2012

I completely agree with this. I don't mind language in a game, but having to listen to 12 f-bombs in less than five minutes is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind the blood and gore because it adds realism to games while cursing is unnecessary.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 114 (4,439 Views)
Sackboy
548 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I agree. But you have to understand. Foul language is much more accepted now then it used to be. By our generation. And chances are, if you are in the same situation as those people in the game, you're not going to care about cussing. You care about doing whatever it takes to survive, not the words that leave your mouth. That's why I feel they have put such strong profanity in the game.

However, I still think there should be a filter for it. I am working on a little game myself with a few of my friends. It will probably have lanugauge in it. Not much, and it will be a bit violent yes, but it's what the fans want. That is mine and my teams number one priority. When we get fans haha.... Even if it is 10, 20, or 50... It doesn't matter. If one of them presents a nice idea, or just wants something changed and it's reasonable, I'd make sure to appease them.

Now ND wants to make a mature game, completely understandable. But I would love for them to add a content filter. It won't hurt the game, it will only help it, by allowing more people to get it. The people who don't mind the gore and language can leave it as it is, those who don't want gore or language can turn it off.

I think this is a genuine request. And while I don't think ND would put a content filter in just because I and some others want it, I'd hope they at least respond to me with something.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 114 (4,439 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jun 8, 2012

I believe Gears of War had some kind of content filter. While I'm not against optional things in a game, I think there are a lot of other things that ND will be putting higher on their list of priorities. F-bombs and gore are no strangers to M-rated games, and to be honest I always wanted an M-rated game from Naughty Dog. ND would likely have to make sure any language filter worked properly in each of the languages too, since they usually have different language options. It's not a bad idea at all, I personally wouldn't use it as I believe the enemy survivors are the kind of 'tough as nails' people that would be using that kind of language especially in life or death situations (which Ellie and Joel's interactions with them are likely to be). There's no way survivors who have likely already killed others are going to hold back their anger or language or say "how do you do ?". People that take an issue with it are likely in the minority, and while it's still not bad if it was entirely optional, I think ND have more important things to work on, at least for now. It's something they may do during polish time though, but I think the game's on the right track to get that brutal survival feel the way it is now. I would expect that language in real life from the kind of people you encounter.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 114 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Jun 8, 2012

JOSH55886 wrote:

It may a little. But if it means getting it to more people why not? It's not like they are taking it away. They would just make it as an option for the people who want it.

Well, you'd REALLY have to sell the whole "content filter" thing, because even with games that have it, it's not like they tell people about it. 

People see the "M" then look at the back and that's what they judge the game on...they don't buy it, take it home, see if it has a content filter, then enjoying it. 

I know what you mean, but they'd have to really advertise the content filter, and it'd have to filter a lot. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 114 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
548 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

I think goddamn and **** are the words usually filtered out in games. ****, ***** etc.. are left. So just cut off god, and leave damn, and replace **** with freaking or something like that. The Blood and gore would be easy to filter out. I'm sure.

Either way, I just hope ND sees this and will leave me an answer of why or why not. Or maybe later.

Edit: profanity

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 114 (4,439 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Or you could just "bleep" the words.

Your post brings up a really great point I've been wanting to make about this forum.

On this game, The Last of Us, they get to say the F-word, but we can't say anything that goes past..what... E rating?  Kind of irritating. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 114 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

JOSH55886 wrote:

Well, you'd REALLY have to sell the whole "content filter" thing, because even with games that have it, it's not like they tell people about it. 

People see the "M" then look at the back and that's what they judge the game on...they don't buy it, take it home, see if it has a content filter, then enjoying it. 

I know what you mean, but they'd have to really advertise the content filter, and it'd have to filter a lot. 

Most of the time it's the parents who just judge by the "M" on the box. All it takes is the kid or a teenager with strict parents to look up informationon on whether or not a game has a content filter. A friend of mine, who is seventeen, has strict parents and he was able to get the Gears of War series because they all have content filters. Naughty Dog doesn't have to advertize when you can simply look up the information.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 114 (4,439 Views)
0 Likes