Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
21 posts

Re: Control Scheme Conundrum

Jun 17, 2013

Nope, and don't worry, I can wait for you to figure that out all by yourself..

Message 11 of 35 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Jun 17, 2013

It's hard to run if you're fatigued, starving, and carrying around supplies. Have you every tried to run with a backpack on with 40+lbs in it? High school books weigh you down, bub. The fact that you have a back pack on, too, means it's awkward to run.

The whole point of this game is to feel underpowered, to use every tool you have at your disposal to, nope it's not kill, but to survive.

If you want to blame your failure of a video game on a control scheme, then either;

a) you are terrible at it

b) aren't use to the controls(which takes getting used to)

c) are complaining that you died to much in MP(so go play story mode and get used to the controls, which brings me back to point b))

Take your time with games like these. If you expected something like COD, Uncharted, whatever, it's not one of those games, so don't try to make out like you'll dominate with a good control scheme, 'cause you still get wrecked.(Not by me though, I don't play MP, ever, on anything[Except Battlefield 3 and co-op game modes])

Message 12 of 35 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

Jun 17, 2013

I think the game would be quite challenging though depends, are you on Hard/Survivor? The clicks and bandits become pretty **bleep** roughless at that point.

The fact Silent Hill was made years ago has no relevance, in my eyes. It's not about technology. Difficulty as a whole is enginered. 

True enough, not everyone fumbles all the time but my point was Joel isn't trained, nor is Ellie, and with the weapon sway is why I believe it's to give you the feeling of not being trained either. We're playing as two people who are the run 24/7. Their fatigued half the time, even badly hurt. That's why things like getting a ladder, little to no sleep and lifting heavy objects all day. 

It's a part of the Survival genre, not just horror. If everything is easy to use with slick controls then no matter how good your A.I or ammo scarcity is; it'll be easy because of the highly lethal gameplay. That goes for the entire genre as a whole; you have to limit the player otherwise it simply wouldn't be survival. Controls, health, movement/enviroment. It's all fair game. No game with easy controls are difficult. It's got to be give a take of hampering the player and buffing up the enemies.

Even then, crafting A.I and things that can be done in game have its limits which we're starting to clearly see at the end of its cycle. If you mess with any component, not jsut the controls, you could potentially break a game. It's a lot more delicate than that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 13 of 35 (88 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Are you serious? Your arguement for having "run" laid out to a bad button is beause he's fatigued and wearing a backbpack?

lol sorry but please explain,  the logic does not follow.

And no, I shouldn't HAVE TO get used to bad controls.

They take away from the overall enjoyment of playing.

Why even bother to play something that is annoying at all?

lol and who cares if i'm "terrible" at a bad control scheme?

And why even bother gettign better at it?

Who cares if you get better at a video game?

NO ONE.

It proves nothing, and wastes time.

Time that would be better spent playing games that don't need to rely on bad control schemes to be called "good".

Just lol'n at you man.

If the point of the game is to get ppl to play it, then this would seem a very silly policy to stand by.

If the game were better, how many more ppl would play it?

How many more would play the MP if it was actually worth playing?

Keep defending the broken games to stay as they are though, it's obviously sound logic, and I bet we can look forward to more excellent and popular games in the future because of it.

...oh wait.

Message 14 of 35 (87 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Playing on hard and have no problem with stealth kills or headshot on any gun.

I don't have a problem with the annoying controls in practice, just they hold the game back from being somehting that i'll continue to play.

There's more fun stuff out there.

And to me I see that as a failure on Naughty Dog's part.

Message 15 of 35 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5892 posts

Jun 17, 2013

I honestly have no problems with the controls at all... in both SP and MP...

Not every game has the exact same controls, too bad. I mean I personally play a variety of games so I gues I can easily adapt to any kind of button mapping within an hour or so of playing it. This game has not gotten me killed due to bad controls at all...
 Also on your logic of Silent Hill and Resident evil having bad controls, the older entries seem to be way more liked than the newer ones. Look at homecoming/downpour and RE5/RE6, in theory good playing games but not fitting well with their predeccesors and defintely not living up to RE2 and SH2 and are often criticized.

So a "good" control scheme whatever that may be to you doesn't make the game. Just face it that not every single game will have the same exact button to run or to jump or attack, etc.

photo Sniper.png
Message 16 of 35 (82 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Well that's your perogative then. If you want to play a game with a sleek controll scheme that challenges you on reflects and is finely tuned hard, that's your call. 

However, I and a lot of people don't see the controls as bad just made to challenge the player. Quite frankly, I found the control scheme to be rather natural but maybe that's because I'm an avid Deus Ex fan and the control scheme is similar. I think the genuine concern I have with the controls is the lack of a "cover button". I can never tell if I am actually in cover or not because it does it automatically for you.

The game is quite fun, though again each to his or her own. I enjoy the game for the same reason I enjoy other Survival games for their "bad" controls. It adds to the experience in my eyes, I'll go out on a limb and say that you are not all to familiar with this genre? 

When Silent Hill 2 was mayde, there were plently of well controlled games and they could have gone that route but they intentionally didn't, just like this game has. It doesn't make it superficially hard, it's just the rules they set. Running through this game is meant to be a last resort, not your first option. Crouching and taking your time is the main goal.

I will give you this though; the game could have at least done with an "Uncharted" layout option. Yet custom buttons... I don't see what could really be changed other than the run button, the rest seem quite universal to me now that I think about it. Yet hey, if you don't enjoy it then you don't enjoy it. Beauty of gaming is there, like you said, plenty of options out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 17 of 35 (79 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Also, just beacues the control scheme is"easy" doe not an easy game make.

I can think of many examples where contorls were laid out in a very straightfoward and easy to understand manner, for some VERY challenging games.

Simply making the controls easier to use should not really effect the overal experience.

If it does then I'd say that the game is just handicapping us for no good reason.

If the game doesn't want me being able to competently run or turn on a flashlight from the begining there should be an in game reason for that, like a broken leg or no batteries.

But if the game is making the very usage of the command to run difficult to execute at ALL, tha'ts just silly.

sure it adds a sense of confusion while playing that some will say adds to the game.

I don't see it that way.

Especially if there is no real reasonable explanation other than "we just wanted to use that button there to frustrate you"

If that's the case, I cant' see buying too many more games from Naughty Dog in the future.

I don't like imposed handicaps.

Take of the handcuffs and let us just play.

Message 18 of 35 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Hey

guys

!

I

Have

an

idea!

Let's

all

stop

feeding

the

troll

/

terrible

player

/

troll

!

By

The

Way

Kid

It's

annoying

as

hell

when

someone

this

Message 19 of 35 (71 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Either way, It's nice to at least have someone listen to my opionons and rspond thoughfully.

Thank you :smileyhappy: 

Message 20 of 35 (67 Views)