Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Re: Could Ellie have a romantic relationship?

Jul 25, 2013

We don't know if she can infect people, she says it to David but ND leaves that open.

Message 11 of 34 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jul 25, 2013

This is a strange thread, but I have to admit that it's something I've given a decent amount of thought.

Ellie is infected yes, but she is not an infected.  Her system has an immunity at the brain stem, where the infection has mutated further and stopped.  Outside of her brain steam she does not have an infection.  It's unexplained as to why this immunity is true, but it is the case nonetheless.

The game never actually says that David is infected, not at all.  Ellie bites him and then makes the claim, but it is the strategical move of a person pinned down, about to be chopped into pieces by cannibals.  There's no proof at all that David is infected, and it's likely that he is not.  Not even an hour passes, but even still his hand wound does not look as bad as Tess' shoulder.

This leads me to believe that Ellie cannot actually infect people.  It doesn't make sense that she could.

However, let's play the hypothetical bit and believe that she is "fully" infected, and could infect others.  When a zombie infects someone else thorugh a bite it is because their saliva drains into a fresh wound that they have created.  The infection is passed via saliva, into the bloodstream.  This is a typically excepted reasoning (most zombie sources do not have a full explanation included, including even the Walking Dead (show) thus far.  I don't read the comic).

Saliva to saliva transfer, or other bodily fluids to other bodily fluids, are probably not going to have an infection effect.  While our blood is obviously involved in the usage of every function our body initiates, it is usually not directly impacted.  Disgestion, where saliva would end up if ingested from another person (not trying to be crass, just sorting all this out), would breakdown and process with no risk of reaching the bloodstream.  I won't go into detail about the other obvious infection points or fluids when having a sexual relationship, but it is fair to say that the same thing could be said: that the possibly infected saliva would not have a chance to reach the bloodstream.

As someone pointed out, there is the problem of having any open cuts or sores, regardless of the area.  This is hard to argue with, and between the minutia in size of possible cuts, and the hard-living world that is TLoU, this risk could be very real.  I suppose the best answer, albeit not a perfect one, is for both Ellie and her partner to always be extremely thorough before considering commencing in any physical act, and check themselves in great detail.  It's a pain in the **bleep** for sure, but if the issue is truly important, then it should be worth the amount of extra effort.

As far as pregnancy is concerned I don't believe that, no matter what, Ellie's womb or birthing would have any detrimental effect.  It's likely the child would also be born with the same immunity, although perhaps not intact or known medically.  They would unfortunately probably have to get bit or spored heavily enough to discover they are immune.

As I said however, I don't think any of this is true, because the game specifically says that Ellie's immunity starts and stops at the brain stem.  The remainder of her body is clear of infection, because the infection cannot spread.

P.S. The entire question is moot because Joel would kill any man who became interested lol.

P.S.S. I'm 99% positive that Sam stated his age to be 10 years old.

Message 12 of 34 (518 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
167 posts

Jul 25, 2013

P.S. The entire question is moot because Joel would kill any man who became interested lol.

Hah, Yes, and I totaly understand him Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 34 (508 Views)
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 25, 2013

The odds of Ellie being in a relationship 1/1000 . Not in this world, she would end up blowing his head off with a Colt 45. Sorry this is just a stupid question, Ellie and Joel have better things to do than be in a relationship haha.

Message 14 of 34 (495 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 25, 2013

I'm preetty sure she could.  It says near the end her Cordyceps was mutated, it wasn't anything to do with Ellie but the Cordyceps itself that made her immune.  Logically there's two possibilities, one that the Cordyceps doesn't spread through the system in the same way, thus she won't infect others.  The other is that the Cordyceps does and has, and that anyone bitten by her will be infected with the mutated strain, thus making anyone infected by Ellie immune as well.  Based on why she's immune it makes solid sense that anyone exposed to those fluids would beome immune in the same way, that is assuming they are exposed to her before common Cordyceps. 

Message 15 of 34 (460 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013

ELLIE: Joel , swear to me, everything you said about my boyfriend leaving for Texas was true!!!

JOEL: I swear!!!

ELLIE: Okay!

effyou
Message 16 of 34 (424 Views)
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013

MaidenVelka wrote:

P.S.S. I'm 99% positive that Sam stated his age to be 10 years old.

When he asked Ellie how old she was and she said 14, Sam replied "Me too." If he later said he was 10, I didn't catch it.

Message 17 of 34 (414 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013

Skaggz1 wrote:

The odds of Ellie being in a relationship 1/1000 . Not in this world, she would end up blowing his head off with a Colt 45. Sorry this is just a stupid question, Ellie and Joel have better things to do than be in a relationship haha.

You're not thinking long term. I'm not talking right "now." I'm talking some time in the future. They've apparently gone back to Jackson to settle in the town with Tommy (we'll see if it stays that way with DLC). She's bound to meet some boys(or girls...) her age and develop romantic feelings. It's just human nature.

Message 18 of 34 (413 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Jul 25, 2013

Skaggz1 wrote:

It's not a stupid question at all..

This is a perfectly good theoretical question. 

It's better than: "LULZ WHAT IF NATE AND JOEL SWITCHED WORLDS BECAUSE THAT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 19 of 34 (408 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Ok then, when Neil Druckmann deicides to make The Last Of Us a romantic and love game then I will answer such a retarded question. Ellie being in a sexual relationship? Ha never gonna happen...

Message 20 of 34 (378 Views)
0 Likes