Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: Could The Last of Us Had Been Any Better??

Jun 24, 2013
Examples of video games that are far far better than The Last of Us and make TLoU seem mediocre in comparison: Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario RPG, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi series, Super Metroid, REmake, RE4, RE2, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy IX, FFX, FFIV, FFXIV, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Graces F, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Goldeneye 64, KoTOR, KoTOR2, Baldur's Gate series, Champions series, Legacy of Kain, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Twilight Princess, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Castlevania SoTN and all other Metroidvanias, and countless other games that are actually video games are far better than your B movie wannabe drivel.

"It made my whole gaming collection look mediocre."

I take this as implying that you are basing the quality on graphics. Sorry, I'm just assuming that you are a new gamer, and they also tend to judge quality based on shallow reasons.
Message 21 of 54 (285 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 24, 2013

neuropunk wrote:
Examples of video games that are far far better than The Last of Us and make TLoU seem mediocre in comparison: Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario RPG, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi series, Super Metroid, REmake, RE4, RE2, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy IX, FFX, FFIV, FFXIV, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Graces F, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Goldeneye 64, KoTOR, KoTOR2, Baldur's Gate series, Champions series, Legacy of Kain, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Twilight Princess, Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Castlevania SoTN and all other Metroidvanias, and countless other games that are actually video games are far better than your B movie wannabe drivel.

I take this as implying that you are basing the quality on graphics. Sorry, I'm just assuming that you are a new gamer, and they also tend to judge quality based on shallow reasons.

I have this crazy idea that people might have a different opinion than yours, but what are the odds of that happening?

Message 22 of 54 (283 Views)
Fender Bender
3362 posts

Jun 24, 2013
Message 23 of 54 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
354 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Yes, it definitely could have been better.  To be better it needs to have the E3 "feel".  Not just the AI, but other things too, like the heavier, more powerful melee.  They even changed the strangle animation.  In E3, it was a bit longer, and it looked like the camera was locked into position until the animation was finished.  Then there was the E3 HUD, but I'm the only person who seems to like that better than the final HUD lol.  I guess if I really think about it, the one thing I really didn't like was the huge time jumps between the seasons in the game, especially the jump between summer and fall.  I guess the game maybe was getting too large, so ND had to cut out a lot of gameplay in between the seasons.  I wish there was at least journal entries or something that describes what Joel and Ellie did during the jumps.

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Message 24 of 54 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Pxm
Splicer
43 posts

Jun 24, 2013
I didn't read through everyone's ideas so I'm sorry if someone else already posted this one. Also don't read this post if you haven't gotten to the end. (You never know, just in case. Haha)

First of all the game is a 10 in my eyes. That being said I do think there is one thing that could have made us feel even more attached to Ellie and Joel -- and it's so simple.

What if at the very end, when Ellie gives Joel his last chance to tell her what really happened, the game let you pick what Joel says.

Press 'x' to say "I swear."
Press 'o' to "tell the truth." (However that would be worded).

Whatever you chose would affect how the story would play out in the upcoming single player DLC.
OGC (Objective Gaming Community) is currently looking for adult (21 & over) gamers who play the objective and actively use a microphone.

Register here or click the image above!
Message 25 of 54 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

Jun 24, 2013

It's a 10 game for me, but there's something that even Uncharteds should have had by now. That being the enemies not just shrugging of gun wounds!

Shoot a leg, make the guy limp. Catch my drift?

Message 26 of 54 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
632 posts

Jun 24, 2013

neuropunk wrote:

I'm not sure how the quote "It made my whole gaming collection look mediocre" led you to believe I'm basing quality on graphics and that I'm a new gamer. That right there was a huge and unecessary assumption. Most of the games that you listed that supposedly makes The Last of Us mediocre I've played and enjoyed. Namely the Tales series, FF series, Donkey Kong Country series, the Mario Series and Xenogears. I actually still own my copy of Donkey Kong Country as it is the first and last game my mother ever bought me and I've been gaming since Atari 2600. I also own every RPG available on the PlayStation Store (currently playing Legend of Dragoon) so graphics obviously doesn't matter to me.

See how assuming things makes you look like an a**??

Photobucket
Message 27 of 54 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jun 24, 2013

My notes so far, updated as I was going through the game (from Thursday and I am not finished with TLoU yet)

Oh, wow, a turnstile! Now here is innovation in gameplay! 

RANT REVIEW The Last of Us - I hope this isn't Chris's blood or Guarding Tess

SOME OF THE VERY WORST AI I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME

How the hell did it score so highly?

Uncharted / I Am Alive Hybrid

+ swivel chairs really swivel

CONS:

- interactive movie

- horrible "gameplay"

- enemies are recycled *unless some are human clones*

- seeing children being killed is supposed to be fun? Games have gone a long ways since games like Kirby.

- restrictive scripting *walking really slowly and talking for added cinematic effect* (why can't I play a game how I want to play the game? Why restrict me?)

- WHY CAN'T I RUN?!

- linear :smileysad:

- horrible story *shouldn't this be on the SYFY channel?

- Nolan North

- took out a guy on the stairs and he was floating in midair

- female Joel keeps walking in place on the stairs

- female Joel ran right past a few enemies and they did not take notice

- bad enemy AI

- graphics are not half as good as originally hyped

- enemies are not perceptive or bright

- why do you keep telling me to close the door? Shouldn't Joel know to do this by now?

- shot enemy in head 5 times and he didn't die

- I was hidden, how'd they see me?

- can't hide bodies

- wow the AI is horrible. they don't even see Ellen Page when she's directly in front of one of them.

- just killed my first goomba with awful QTE

- Oh, a leveling system with skills. What is this trying to be, an RPG?

- How do they not get infected, with fighting all the goombas?

- I was behind the clicker, why wouldn't it let me grab it? Oh wait, I don't have a shiv, so I die a cheap death.

- the enemies are stupid

- Ellie cannot swim, yet got across the flooded subway

- can't see in the subway tunnel. screen is green and black

- I can only carry like 10 bullets until it's FULL? You kidding me?

- hanging upside down. Shooting goomba but he's not dying.

- so cheap being bitten if you don't have a shiv

- (bug) white spots line the top of my computer monitor when using Joel's superpower where he can see through walls (only on one area, so far)

- human enemies run toward you when you point a gun at their face? Whut?

- random f bombs, random "i hate this crap"

- Why do they ALWAYS choose the hardest route?

- Ellen Page saves Joel's life and he STILL treats her like crap and isn't thankful? Whut?!

- <b>They stole the plot to "The Crazies"!</b>

- Why are they trying to kill the "tourists" so badly?

- ugggh, she got in my way while i was sneaking around and i couldn't move out of the way from being seen 

- Do enemies have a tracking beacon on Joel? How do the enemies in Pittsburg follow them so close? I don't get it.

- Do my teammates actually freaking do anything? Do they actually try and shoot enemies?

- Are you kidding me - running from a turret firing a machine gun and surviving??? **bleep**??!

- story is horrible (conversation between Harry and Ellen Page)

<b>FALL</b>

[really bored. trying to find my way out of this hotel in Pittsburg is driving me crazy. gonna eat and sleep and come back to the "game", at another point]

* Now, I'm guessing that the spores were some kind of military experiment of some sort?

* Oh let me guess, Ellen Page's blood carries the key to a vaccine? 

* Didn't 'I Am Alive' do this game first?

The Last of Us is like all the other current gen games. What gives with the hype?

Message 28 of 54 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3362 posts

Jun 24, 2013

*****Please keep all response on topic************

Message 29 of 54 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jun 24, 2013

StarPower-21 wrote:

*****Please keep all response on topic************

If you were referring to me at all, the topic title, 'Could The Last of Us Had Been Any Better??', it seemed as if it were phrased as a question. 

I responded with my notes of what I dislike about "the game", so it has everything to do with being on topic. Could it have been better, and I responded with my heavy criticisms on what holds the game back from being a good game. Most of my bullet points contain complaints of why the "game" is not better. 

Message 30 of 54 (199 Views)
0 Likes