Fender Bender
2856 posts

Re: Could The Last of Us help change the general public's opinion of games?

Jun 4, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
Us gamers know the truth but it seems the general public still assumes games are for kids. Before you refute that, consider this: all of the studys regarding game violence have been done on young children. Politicians and the media talk about young kids being influenced.

But consider this. I'm 21, being playing games my whole life. Same with my 11 year old brother. My 3 year old cousin is already starting; she's a pro with an iPad and loves Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfer. All this talk in the news, basically demonizing video games, giving parents misunderstood impressions...older generations didnt grow up with the games of today, don't understand how complex and mature the medium can be. Maybe in 20 years, games will be as appreciated and rewarded as movies and literature are now.

But can a game like The Last of Us begin that process now? A game designed to explore dark adult themes in a bleak mature narrative. That seeks to use violence not as a simple way to excite and thrill but to demonstrate how morality has shifted and crumbled. A game that show that the medium is not just for kids but can deliver a narrative suitable for adults as well.

the problem is that all those little kids play Call of Duty, and the only game non-gamers know is Call of Duty, and all debates, discussions and rants are all about kids playing Call of Duty, according to those games like LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank don't excist, the only thing they see is what they want to see, you can't reason with those people...

And even if you could, then I think The Last of Us is not the right game to use, I think Heavy Rain or the upcoming Beyond Two Souls would be better especially because they are closer to movies...

Message 11 of 15 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Jun 4, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
I never understood the parental aversion to their kid sitting down and playing games. Especially considering that one also sits for an hour or two to read a book. Sure many books may be more mentally stimulating, but games are unique in their own. Through online, one can build diverse friendships that span the globe or just meet up with their friends from school. They teach resource management, decision making, and just provide a narrative in a more hands-on engrossing way.

part in red, seriously? online games ruin society if you ask me, kids realise that they can do online anything they want, so they turn into a trashtalker who has no respect for anyone and develops strong language, no thank you, the only way games can get accepted is if 18+ games will not be in the hands of kids anymore, which I hope will happen, because that would mean the end of Call of Duty...

Message 12 of 15 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Jun 4, 2013

I really hope this game can Change a lot of gamers, from run and gun, to slow paced, look around, thinkers, stealthing.

Message 13 of 15 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

@Matthijs

I don't agree. Maybe it's because I don't play online much, but for example, my brother plays tons of online games. Minecraft, Uncharted 3, Gears of War, especially Call of Duty. But he plays with his friends and they don't devolve into the trashtalking animals people always describe. And he's only 11.

Maybe it's because they're the most vocal and so noticeable, you remember the ones that do act crazy and assume it's the majority. But there are thousands and thousand of people all ages playing online and I can't imagine that they all act like that.

Even in the few games I've played online (Uncharted, AC, Max Payne) I never really heard any trash taking. A lot of people acting stupid like screaming, music playing in the background, actual talking and conversations...but never trash talking or racial slurs.

That's just my opinion

(And before people start going 'Why's 11 year oldplaying CoD", we live in a tight knit family and my parents instill values and common sense, He knows and understands that violence in video games and movies isn't real, just special effects and graphics)

Message 14 of 15 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Jun 4, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:

@Matthijs

I don't agree. Maybe it's because I don't play online much, but for example, my brother plays tons of online games. Minecraft, Uncharted 3, Gears of War, especially Call of Duty. But he plays with his friends and they don't devolve into the trashtalking animals people always describe. And he's only 11.

Maybe it's because they're the most vocal and so noticeable, you remember the ones that do act crazy and assume it's the majority. But there are thousands and thousand of people all ages playing online and I can't imagine that they all act like that.

Even in the few games I've played online (Uncharted, AC, Max Payne) I never really heard any trash taking. A lot of people acting stupid like screaming, music playing in the background, actual talking and conversations...but never trash talking or racial slurs.

That's just my opinion

(And before people start going 'Why's 11 year oldplaying CoD", we live in a tight knit family and my parents instill values and common sense, He knows and understands that violence in video games and movies isn't real, just special effects and graphics)

yeah I was a little overreacting, but I certainly do not think that online gaming has a positive effect (like you said: making new friends all over the world, that's not making real friends, and it's not socially interacting, it's just talking games, like we do here), it could have a negative effect, but it won't ever have a positive effect...

good that your parents value those things a lot, where I live a lot of parents (not mine, mine are a little overprotective) are pretty distant from their children and they just buy whatever game they want for them (which results in a lot of Call of Duty copies sold...), and then they just let the kid play alone in his room and ignore him playing such crappy violent games, I don't like that at all, I wish games would block for players under 18+ if they are not allowed to play them yet, maybe that's a good option for the new kinect for xbox one, if it notices a kid playing an 18+ game it will quit the game xD

Message 15 of 15 (40 Views)
0 Likes