Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 04 2013
By: cvbxsta Hekseville Citizen 268 posts

Could The Last of Us help change the general public's opinion of games?

14 replies 419 views Edited Jun 4, 2013
Us gamers know the truth but it seems the general public still assumes games are for kids. Before you refute that, consider this: all of the studys regarding game violence have been done on young children. Politicians and the media talk about young kids being influenced.

But consider this. I'm 21, being playing games my whole life. Same with my 11 year old brother. My 3 year old cousin is already starting; she's a pro with an iPad and loves Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfer. All this talk in the news, basically demonizing video games, giving parents misunderstood impressions...older generations didnt grow up with the games of today, don't understand how complex and mature the medium can be. Maybe in 20 years, games will be as appreciated and rewarded as movies and literature are now.

But can a game like The Last of Us begin that process now? A game designed to explore dark adult themes in a bleak mature narrative. That seeks to use violence not as a simple way to excite and thrill but to demonstrate how morality has shifted and crumbled. A game that show that the medium is not just for kids but can deliver a narrative suitable for adults as well.
Message 1 of 15 (419 Views)
Sackboy
405 posts

Re: Could The Last of Us help change the general public's opinion of games?

Jun 4, 2013

I don't think so.  If anything someone will go shoot up some place then people will find out they played tlou and everyone will go crazy and blame videogames.

photo tloumpreveal_zpse1518e02.jpg
Message 2 of 15 (408 Views)
Splicer
57 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Unfortunately no. Maybe in the future they will be taken more seriously and not just immediately referred to as something bad. It's really funny when parents complain about their teens playing games for a few hours a day. They could be doing MUCH worse things with their time.

Message 3 of 15 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 4, 2013
I never understood the parental aversion to their kid sitting down and playing games. Especially considering that one also sits for an hour or two to read a book. Sure many books may be more mentally stimulating, but games are unique in their own. Through online, one can build diverse friendships that span the globe or just meet up with their friends from school. They teach resource management, decision making, and just provide a narrative in a more hands-on engrossing way.
Message 4 of 15 (381 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1641 posts

Jun 4, 2013
No not at all, sadly. People seem to think that because we play violent video games (Because collecting coins, and running at super speed is only fun for a while) it provokes shootings, and outbursts like the Sandy Elementary shooting (May they R.I.P).

But what they fail to realize is that the funding they put into wars, and advertising the military as this godly career on a pedestal, is hurting society more than animated violence.

Notice how most (shooter) games are based on Afghanistan, or Iraq? That's playing a much more important role than pixels killing pixels.

In fact, this article even has the balls to mention TLoU http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250811/Sandy-Hook-shooting-reignites-debate-violent-video-g...

People need to get it through their thick, and greedy skulls that video games are for enjoyment, and nothing more.

If you read this http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/noah-crooks-boy-13-killed-1868899

Or this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/nathon-brooks-teen-shot-parents-video-games_n_2868805.html

I'll agree to a point, but people need to have better parenting. Plain and simple.

My point in summary, sure video games play a role in violence, but NOWHERE near as much as world wars, and greed do.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 5 of 15 (334 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

I'm sure that if you play it with someone who isnt into games, they'll be very impressed. But change their view on gaming as a whole? Like make them think its a serious medium? Sure, if this was the only game in the world, but as soon as they go out and see some mindless shooter or whatever the next toy-game Nintendo are making, they'll instantly swich back to "games are for kids".

Message 6 of 15 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
496 posts

Jun 4, 2013

Its a generational thing... Like Rock and Roll, it won't really find acceptance till the bulk of its listeners (or in this case players/gamers) find themselves in those seats of power...

At which time they will blame something newer for the failures of society...

Message 7 of 15 (313 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 4, 2013
It is really shame that video games are this era's "evil entertainment". Like inmate, before it was rock and roll, comics, banned books, etc. Guess the good news is that all those mediums have been accepted and praised by the general population now. So maybe once the next generation grows up and have their children, the general consensus will have shifted. And the great thing is that I and the rest of my generation will be around to see that change.
Message 8 of 15 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
496 posts

Jun 4, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
It is really shame that video games are this era's "evil entertainment". Like inmate, before it was rock and roll, comics, banned books, etc. Guess the good news is that all those mediums have been accepted and praised by the general population now. So maybe once the next generation grows up and have their children, the general consensus will have shifted. And the great thing is that I and the rest of my generation will be around to see that change.

Yup, it really is amazing how history repeats itself...  Luckily, the "evils" are doing a better job of protecting themselves these days and have learned from the previous "evil" time in the limelight...  Comics nearly died during the "Seduction of the Innocent" era...  Truth be told it has never recovered in sales but now its the bookends of nearly all media entertainment. (Movies, games, TV, etc.)

Message 9 of 15 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Jun 4, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
I never understood the parental aversion to their kid sitting down and playing games. Especially considering that one also sits for an hour or two to read a book. Sure many books may be more mentally stimulating, but games are unique in their own. Through online, one can build diverse friendships that span the globe or just meet up with their friends from school. They teach resource management, decision making, and just provide a narrative in a more hands-on engrossing way.

Mmmm, I'll have to disagree with you on that point where books can be more stimulating. I am a bodybuilder/powerlifter. When I play a game that has a huge character, like Marcus Fenix, it stimulates myself to workout. And that's actually mental, because sometimes I need that extra image or push to workout. I've learned a lot more from video games than books, tbh. I've learned about morales, ethics, wars, hate, punishment, math, geometry, physics, art, basically all the useless crap that I don't remember from school because it was boring as hell.

A perfect example. In school, I learned about submarines and ballast tanks, what they do, all that jazz. In Gears of War 3, you have to repair a sub, and part of that is gathering stuff for a ballast tank. A huge refresher on what they do. I think with all the politicians wanting to do away with violent video games, that video games are going to end up having a huge decline. Maybe something like the prohibition back in the day. You never know. I would hope that video games take on a more central role within media. It's a far more engaging type of entertainment than movies and tv.

Message 10 of 15 (190 Views)