First Son
13 posts

Re: Did Joel have a barber or deordorant?

Jun 23, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

I was reading another thread and this dawn on me. Did Joel and Ellie or even Tess take showers? I mean throughout the game you pretty much see Joel and Ellie wearing the same outfit but they change it during the end. I know if I went without taking a shower or washing my clothing, I would start to stink. I am sure they didn't have any type of deordorant so their armpits would have to started to fester.

Your hair would start to get oily, it would look unclean. Joel's hair would of grown longer if he didn't cut it. He would of look he had a mop on his head. 

No where did I see this. I would of thought that they would of shown this aspect since it would of been needed to survive. I am sure they got use to everyone smelling like BO. Ellies hair stays the same throughout the game. So did she just keep her hair tied up the whole time?

I think addressing some of these issues would of added to the whole surival. Now they may have done these things in between the gaps. I just think if you want to show a game about surival. I would show all the aspects of it.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

Come one. seriously? i think you got the wrong game. you should play Sims... ,you really think that it  would be something fun to do in the game? i think we go without just fine, Naughty dog need  to put a line on realistic somewhere, And honestly in a  end  of the world kind  of  apocalypse with infected all around you, taking a shower or worrying if you stink  or not would be the least of your concerns..

Message 11 of 15 (146 Views)
First Son
17 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

Part of survival is staying clean, for multiple reasons, a small cut can turn into a deathly wound. A person scent is very noticable if you have ever been around someone who neglets their hygene, thus any hunters/infected would pick up on it, not very stealthy if you smell like a butt hole.

There is enough water in the game to assume they keep clean, like someone already mentioned, your customizable item is scissors so that should have answered your question. *Spoiler* when they get to his brothers outpost they get the power on, now it's power that runs from the current of the river, so they HAVE to have clean, hot running showers, it had been a while since they had the power working so that explains why everyone at the post was not the cleanest looking.

A lot of this doesn't apply *SPOILER* when it becomes winter time as you sweat less, the hair is heavier so a scent is harder to pick up on, and long hair would be a plus during this time. I like to think they didn't bathe daily, but enough to keep themselves health. It truely is dangerous to be a slob haha.

Also I doubt deordorant is available, that stuff does not have a long shelf date compared to the games drastic jump from the world we know to all those years later when we start the game. Not to mention it goes back to my scent comment, if you smell too nice, you would be giving yourself away. Good old water woud be enough.

Message 12 of 15 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 23, 2013
I'll bite with this so fresh and so clean talk.
Pretty sure with the rampant presence of alcohol and the crafting of health kits, Joel and Ellie must have used them to clean themselves up.
I wouldn't be so sure of water in an apocalyptic setting. Ish and crew had their own system of getting rain water.

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 13 of 15 (117 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Mega8BitPanda wrote:

FreshRevenge wrote:

I was reading another thread and this dawn on me. Did Joel and Ellie or even Tess take showers? I mean throughout the game you pretty much see Joel and Ellie wearing the same outfit but they change it during the end. I know if I went without taking a shower or washing my clothing, I would start to stink. I am sure they didn't have any type of deordorant so their armpits would have to started to fester.

Your hair would start to get oily, it would look unclean. Joel's hair would of grown longer if he didn't cut it. He would of look he had a mop on his head. 

No where did I see this. I would of thought that they would of shown this aspect since it would of been needed to survive. I am sure they got use to everyone smelling like BO. Ellies hair stays the same throughout the game. So did she just keep her hair tied up the whole time?

I think addressing some of these issues would of added to the whole surival. Now they may have done these things in between the gaps. I just think if you want to show a game about surival. I would show all the aspects of it.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

Each Season we see them for two days, four max, if even that. We see them wearing different clothes each season. We also time skip, all these things you are referring too could have been around then. When it comes to something like this it's extremely silly to look over ask me, especially when the longest period of time frame we play as these two is Summer for around 2 to 4 days. That's not THAT long to go without these commodities and so leaving to off screen is fine and dandy.

As for B.O, they'd stink, yeah though it'd be that casual of a smell to them by then given how much everything in the world would by that point. 

After smelling corpses which are decaying or burnt to a crisp, B.O isn't that bad, or so I'd assume... Smiley Wink

Also, I wondered how he kept a trim as well, but there are a lot of things in his backpack we don't see, like food. Maybe a razor is in there too? And if you notice, almost every single enemy in this game has like a billion cuts on their face, some from combat, exploring, but some look like small cuts, very small, maybe even from shaving with a dull blade. Notice that nobody ever has a long beard? I'd never want one, that's just one more things to get set up in flames if I happened to get too close. Like the enemies who throw molotov cocktails at you, they have no hair, probably to avoid catching it on fire.

Message 14 of 15 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
52 posts

Jun 23, 2013

I think it would be a waste of time for ND to include haircuts, applying deoderant, cleaning, etc. in the game. It's not necessary for the story in my opinion.

Message 15 of 15 (100 Views)
0 Likes