Aug 02 2013
By: REDS0XXFAN Lombax Warrior 137 posts

Ellie and Tess running every where.

7 replies 4501 views Edited Aug 2, 2013

I know that people have posted it before, but today was the first time that they messed me up. I was in the outskirts in the subway going to get the safe combo and as I run into the store Ellie runs in after me and Tess just starts fighting the runner out of no where and all the infected just game and raped us.

Message 1 of 8 (4,501 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: Ellie and Tess running every where.

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

Haha yeah i've seen tess do some crazy **bleep**. As devs have said it's quite hard to code multiple AI in stealth situations. I have found that when its just Joel and Ellie her AI is quite good so kudos to ND in that regard.

Message 2 of 8 (4,483 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 2, 2013

I've never had Tess, or any other NPC, start a fight without my initial move thankfully, but I have had most of them behave as if under attack by a swarm of bees.  Regardless of the enemy's location(s), they will run around, jumping over stuff and even running into the mobs, unconcerned with breaking the tension lol.  I mean non-stop too.

I also want to say that I never really had a problem with Ellie.  I can recall a few occassions in which she ran to visual safety (not that it matters) and bumped a mob on the way, but usually her movements were smoove and sensible.  A handful of times she would throw a brick before I was ready to pounce, but it always ended up being a good move.  I got to swoop in and get the kill and **bleep** before any other mobs showed up.

Message 3 of 8 (4,470 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Aug 2, 2013
I've never once had an AI companion trigger an encounter. I've had Tess sprint full-on into clickers without them noticing, which was amusing, but it's a hell of a lot better than if that caused the clicker to attack.

Obviously it is super complex to code so many AI's in a situation that depends entirely on your own human ingenuity. I think ND did the best they could with current console tech.

It can look goofy at times though haha.
Message 4 of 8 (4,431 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
248 posts

Aug 2, 2013

Last playthrough I was hiding a the base of some stairs in Pittsburgh, really only room for one, waiting for a hunter to walk down so I could choke him out.  Ellie was scooting around on the landing looking for a hiding place I'd assume, she ended up going up the stairs a ways and stabbing the hunter.  The AI is... erratic..

Message 5 of 8 (4,404 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
580 posts

Aug 3, 2013
^ Something like that happend to me a few days ago in my survivor playthrough. Lol glad i'm not the only one who experienced this.
Message 6 of 8 (4,371 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Aug 3, 2013
I bet that if the situation is just too ridiculous and looks like it is coded poorly (like when Ellie sprints right by a hunter and he ignores her), sometimes the game has no choice but to cause your companion AI to engage the enemy.

More than often I'm impressed by their helpfulness though. When I'm sneaking sometimes and stealthily taking guys out, if they see a good opportunity, and I have already engaged the enemy, they will do a stealthy-ish takedown of their own, which is always cool. I like Bill's stealth takedowns with the machete.
Message 7 of 8 (4,337 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17632 posts

Aug 3, 2013
Bill kept going Rambo in the high school.

Otherwise my ai was always walking around in front of infected.
Hell, in the graveyard, bill was constantly sprinting around them.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 8 of 8 (4,319 Views)
0 Likes