Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Re: Ellie's character never smiles :/

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2014

Yes but they use higher res models... The devs said it themselves (or I read a statement somewhere) compare and you'll see it's obvious.
It still looks great but the cutscenes have noticeably more finesse there (facial expressions) .

Message 11 of 25 (145 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:

Yes but they use higher res models... The devs said it themselves (or I read a statement somewhere) compare and you'll see it's obvious.
It still looks great but the cutscenes have noticeably more finesse there (facial expressions) .

Yes, they use higher res models for pre-rendered cutscenes/cinematics. It's impossible for a model to change to higher res in the middle of a game.

Look at it this way

The very first cutscene is pre-rendered

And the cutscene with them taking a ride on a carousel is 100% in-game (hence the fact that you can toggle the camera) 

Message 12 of 25 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 16, 2014
I know but it's a shot that's closest to the camera and therefore you get the highest res in game model... When you play normally the camera is further from the character so you get a notch lower model.
When the character is supposed to smile and he doesn't or look weird... Like the section right after the carousel when she is reading the pun book.
Message 13 of 25 (113 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:
I know but it's a shot that's closest to the camera and therefore you get the highest res in game model... When you play normally the camera is further from the character so you get a notch lower model.
When the character is supposed to smile and he doesn't or look weird... Like the section right after the carousel when she is reading the pun book.

No, just because the camera is zoomed in doesn't mean the textures will suddenly get higher res, that's not how it works. Like I said that is pretty much is impossible. And for further proof make Ellie stand right in front of a wall and turn the camera in front of her face and you can see that her model is equally as detailed as in the in-game cutscenes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when she was reading the pun book, she was not just only smiling, but laughing her a** off.

Message 14 of 25 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Feb 16, 2014

plaZeHD7 wrote:

conquerator3 wrote:

No, just because the camera is zoomed in doesn't mean the textures will suddenly get higher res, that's not how it works. Like I said that is pretty much is impossible. And for further proof make Ellie stand right in front of a wall and turn the camera in front of her face and you can see that her model is equally as detailed as in the in-game cutscenes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when she was reading the pun book, she was not just only smiling, but laughing her a** off.

The actress yes, the actress.

Did you look at the character model's face?

I did the whole time and I hardly caught a little smirk...

The models used in game and in the cutscenes are NOT the same...

It's also common knowledge that the closer the model is to the camera, the better ii looks [AA effects and other textures get better the closer you're...]

If you stand her close to a wall, it is the best possibly quality you get [short of cutscenes], but you don't really see her close-up 99% of the time and that's when you can see some jaggies in her face, etc...

Did I mention I game on a 24" monitor? If you game on a TV, then YMMV as the TV does some processing on it's own and the pixel to inch ratio is smaller therefore it's much harder to see the pixels than on a monitor. 

Message 15 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Its nit picking on top of the fact that this is not a happy feel good kind of game. Especially in TLOU Ellie does not smile much at all b/c of everything she has gone through which we see a glimpse of in Left Behind. Its not that physically the PS3, the game engine, Naughty Dog could not make her smile its very possible just look at all of the character facial expressions through out the game, its just that they she is not suppose to smile a lot.

Message 16 of 25 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Well, i suppose there is not that ,much to smile about throughout The Last Of Us. (Except of course, the jokes)

Message 17 of 25 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Feb 16, 2014

dark_doc wrote:

Well, i suppose there is not that ,much to smile about throughout The Last Of Us. (Except of course, the jokes)

True, but she does smile. The OP can't have been payong much attention to the game.

Message 18 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

McLean1984 wrote:

dark_doc wrote:

True, but she does smile. The OP can't have been payong much attention to the game.

That's a ridiculous assumption.

I am not saying she doesn't smile... She does in the cutscenes the actress does portrait it like that...

I'll check the parts you mentioned bt I highly doubt the character models smile [2/3 you mentioned are cutscenes BTW... and I am pretty sure she phisically doesn't smile when reading the jokes much like in LB]

I am  not talking about cutscenes or prerendered cutscenes... the character model in-game only...

EDIT: I am not criticizing the scrip the graphics or acting or sound - that is all superb. It's more about the in-game Ellie not exactly mimicking Ashley Johnson.

But it's not something that can be helped - the animations have to simplified in order not to eat too much RAM. I am not surprised there aren't any epic face grimases [though the body language is fine]... There is only so mch you can do with the little memmory you have.

Its just something I have noticed, yes a nitpick.

Really looking forward what black magic will ND do with the PS4 :]

Message 19 of 25 (88 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Feb 16, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:

plaZeHD7 wrote:

conquerator3 wrote:

The actress yes, the actress.

Did you look at the character model's face?

I did the whole time and I hardly caught a little smirk...

The models used in game and in the cutscenes are NOT the same...

It's also common knowledge that the closer the model is to the camera, the better ii looks [AA effects and other textures get better the closer you're...]

If you stand her close to a wall, it is the best possibly quality you get [short of cutscenes], but you don't really see her close-up 99% of the time and that's when you can see some jaggies in her face, etc...

Did I mention I game on a 24" monitor? If you game on a TV, then YMMV as the TV does some processing on it's own and the pixel to inch ratio is smaller therefore it's much harder to see the pixels than on a monitor. 

You know what let's just say you are correct. I don't bother explaining and arguing anymore.

Message 20 of 25 (62 Views)
0 Likes