First Son
2 posts

Re: Enemy AI

Jun 18, 2013

for what it's worth, i'll list 2 instances from the game where i was impressed by the A.I:

when i got in the "E3 area", the Pitsburgh Hotel, after i finished the majority of the enemies there was only one gas-mask wearing guy left (i could tell because his voice sounded muffled)  anyways, i was left with really low life and no health-pack, about 3 bullets on my revolver and every other weapon was empty

I knew there must have been at least 1-2 people left, so i was moving very carefully between rooms, checking every corner  when suddenly i hear from a couple rooms away this guy saying something allong the lines of " hey, allright man  im coming out, im unarmed so dont shoot me, we can talk about this"

He didnt knew exactly where i was but neither did i, but i actually believed him for some reason (i guess i was curious?) so i popped out from my hiding place and went to where his sound came from.

I reach the main hall and i see him  nervously trying to look into rooms whille keeping his distance from them, i take a couple steps towards him and he suddenly turns at me ( i must have made a noise and surprised him 'cuz he gasped when he saw me)

Next thing i know, he throws a f***ing molotov he was holding all this time(!) at me, there was some distance between me and him so i actually had time to react and pressed circle, Joel crouched and the molotov flew above my head!!

The guy shouts "sh*t!!" probably 'cuz he missed, while i aim at him and unload all 3 bullets, basically the whole thing happened in seconds, there wass no time to think about this  i just reacted

probably the reason i remember this encounter so clearly is becaused it happened so seamlessly, so fast, it really made a big impression to me

The 2nd example is from the part where Ellie covers you with a riffle, the place where there's a corpse hunged on a tree, anyways there's a building in the area with stairs, it's the first building on the right  and long story short i entered that building whille running away from the hunters, i was low on health yet again ( Survivor mode too strong ) and as i go down the stairs i see this guy with an iron pipe pop up in front of me.

Before i even have time to actually aim my shotgun at him, he grabs my foot and pulls me  which makes Joel land with his back on the stairs and without leaving me any room to react, he jumps on top of Joel and finishes me with one smash on the head!

I cant even tell how surprised i was when that happened, did not see it coming at all!!

( i noticed enemies in Survivor really start to panic the less of them they remain, like if you manage to kill most of them and only 1-2 guys remain they will move very cautiously and check every corner, turn around to check their backs etc, there was this instance where the last guy spotted me and he just started running, i must have been chasing him for about 2-3 minutes before i finally cornered him and shot his head clean XD   in general they do seem to become more self preserving)

Message 11 of 64 (411 Views)
Sackboy
428 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Isanity wrote:

My only gripe about this game is the friendly ai stealth.  They sprint, talk ,  and sometimes walk right in front of people without getting caught.... kind ruins the whole mood of the game for me. 

Thats the only way they can pull off a game like this. Friendly AI never bothered me.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 12 of 64 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Jun 18, 2013
Are you freaking kidding me? Did you play The Last of Us? Or a different game?

First feeling a punch or brick has nothing to do with AI.

Second. I have held a guy hostage, it wasnt the exact same conversation as the video, But it was somewhere along the lines of "Let Him Go" -- "Just shoot him!" And then I broke up the party with a bullet through his head.

Third. I have had several guys run and Hide from me. And I have had many charge me as well, and flank me, and hide behind cover and shoot me ect.

Fourth. I have shot a couple of them twice, they fall down, and I think they are dead. So I begin advancing then all the sudden he pops back up when I get close and attacks me either hand to hand or with a gun.

Fifth. Just to add, I have had several men beg for their lives, and if I dont shoot them they get up and attack me.

To sum this up... You obviously have not played this game or you tried run and gunning the whole game or something.
Ellie photo Ellie_zps812f6c9e.jpg
Message 13 of 64 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Jun 18, 2013
Dude those are some awesome moments! I Had one time similar to your second example. I was coming down the stairs, thinking everyone was dead, cus I hadnt seen or heard them in a while. Suddenly at the bottom of the stairs he came through a door and yelled F***er, grabbed my leg and pulled me to the ground before I could even react. He jumped on me and I managed to push him off me, I through a couple of punches his way and he fell to the ground, then I pulled out my shotgun and he begged me to let him live. But I blew his head off instead.

This Game freaking Rocks
Message 14 of 64 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

I was not saying it was bad. But it's not much like the E3 demo. Go hit someone with a brick in this game. Then watch someone get hit in that demo. It's obvious it was more powerful if that's the word I should use. And it seems enemies don't take cover much. They always try to run to me, especially guys with melee weapons. I'm about to play the hotel courtyard on survivor, I keep playing fighting sections and restarting them to do different things.

Unless Survivor really changes the situations...

Message 15 of 64 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
428 posts

Jun 19, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

I was not saying it was bad. But it's not much like the E3 demo. Go hit someone with a brick in this game. Then watch someone get hit in that demo. It's obvious it was more powerful if that's the word I should use. And it seems enemies don't take cover much. They always try to run to me, especially guys with melee weapons. I'm about to play the hotel courtyard on survivor, I keep playing fighting sections and restarting them to do different things.

Unless Survivor really changes the situations...

The enemy reacts differently to different situations,fire your gun at them and see how they react.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 16 of 64 (340 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Alright, I see what your saying, with the brick. But I mean everything else is pretty dang close to spot on with everything else you mentioned. They react to how you play. So if you are never getting the things I did and many others did, you will not get those results. Which is a sign of pretty darn Good AI, better than any other anyways.

Also, If you are a bad shot, and bad at hiding or other things, it seems like they know that and get more courageous and attack you knowing they have a good chance. Im not positive of this, but Ive had some incidents where it seems to be the case lol. Survivor im not sure of, I know hard made them a bit smarter and act a bit different, so id guess survivor is the same.
Message 17 of 64 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Tell me what area I should do and what to do. I really want it to be like E3 I want them to yell he's behind the desk, he's by the door, etc.. I want them to take cover. So tell me, I'd love to see this.

Message 18 of 64 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Ive played it once, and am starting back through. to try and get everything. But Ill do my best to remember. I think its Pittsburgh, the big building with two stories, i think its a library? Anyways, what I did was try to sneak by but got caught, everyone is shooting at me so I ran, and ran. Until there was gaps between them and I started killing them off one by one. hand to hand. Once I got down to just what I thought was two left, i through a brick, and snuck up behind him and grabbed him. Then The scenario of the hostage talking situation came up. After killing those two. All was thought to be clear and I started running around grabbing and looking for stuff. I came down the stairs, and I guy jumped me, pulled my leg, and attacked me as I hit the ground. I pushed him off with square then he lost his footing and I pulled out my shotgun and he begged for his life.

As for the Hes by the door, take cover and what not. That was in the first level going after Robert. Same situation, tried sneaking, got caught hid behind a crate, they said hes hiding back there flank him. So I watched for the flank and killed him.

They called out my location at the truck ambush site, in the hotel or apartment place just like at the E3 demo location. and at the hospital towards the end. I really didnt do anything special. I just thought that was how everyones game played. lol
Message 19 of 64 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 19, 2013
The AI isn't as great as ND made it out to be by falsely advertising the game at E3. It all boils down to ND half assing the AI.

They should have made the friendly AI so that they don't yell, knock crap over or hide in plain sight during stealth sections. That would have solved most of people's beef with the AI in the game.

The other part would be to make it so that the Enemy AI (Hunters in the hotel/ E3 section) doesn't bum rush you while you have a fully loaded shotgun.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 20 of 64 (292 Views)
0 Likes