Sackboy
568 posts

Re: Enemy AI

Jun 19, 2013

I was hoping I wasn't the only one where enemies rushed me when I had a gun pointed at them. It also seems like everytime I grab one the others notice, but when I point a gun to them they don't always react, sometimes they take cover and cuss when I do, and sometimes they continue moving forward like nothing is happening. 

Message 21 of 64 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 19, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

I was hoping I wasn't the only one where enemies rushed me when I had a gun pointed at them. It also seems like everytime I grab one the others notice, but when I point a gun to them they don't always react, sometimes they take cover and cuss when I do, and sometimes they continue moving forward like nothing is happening. 

It's disappointing because ND advertised this AI as amazingly life-like before launch, and I was going to buy the game based off that (wound up recieving it as a gift) and when I played through it I was very disappointed it reacted so poorly at times.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 22 of 64 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
75 posts

Jun 19, 2013
Does anyone else notice in the E3 demo that Joel can run while crouched? I don't recall being able to do that in the actual game. When you're crouched and run, you just stand up.
Message 23 of 64 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 19, 2013
ND removed it. Why? Who the **bleep** knows, but I'm sure one of ND's groupies will find an excuse for it.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 24 of 64 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 19, 2013

staxths69 wrote:

for what it's worth, i'll list 2 instances from the game where i was impressed by the A.I:

when i got in the "E3 area", the Pitsburgh Hotel, after i finished the majority of the enemies there was only one gas-mask wearing guy left (i could tell because his voice sounded muffled)  anyways, i was left with really low life and no health-pack, about 3 bullets on my revolver and every other weapon was empty

I knew there must have been at least 1-2 people left, so i was moving very carefully between rooms, checking every corner  when suddenly i hear from a couple rooms away this guy saying something allong the lines of " hey, allright man  im coming out, im unarmed so dont shoot me, we can talk about this"

He didnt knew exactly where i was but neither did i, but i actually believed him for some reason (i guess i was curious?) so i popped out from my hiding place and went to where his sound came from.

I reach the main hall and i see him  nervously trying to look into rooms whille keeping his distance from them, i take a couple steps towards him and he suddenly turns at me ( i must have made a noise and surprised him 'cuz he gasped when he saw me)

Next thing i know, he throws a f***ing molotov he was holding all this time(!) at me, there was some distance between me and him so i actually had time to react and pressed circle, Joel crouched and the molotov flew above my head!!

The guy shouts "sh*t!!" probably 'cuz he missed, while i aim at him and unload all 3 bullets, basically the whole thing happened in seconds, there wass no time to think about this  i just reacted

probably the reason i remember this encounter so clearly is becaused it happened so seamlessly, so fast, it really made a big impression to me

The 2nd example is from the part where Ellie covers you with a riffle, the place where there's a corpse hunged on a tree, anyways there's a building in the area with stairs, it's the first building on the right  and long story short i entered that building whille running away from the hunters, i was low on health yet again ( Survivor mode too strong ) and as i go down the stairs i see this guy with an iron pipe pop up in front of me.

Before i even have time to actually aim my shotgun at him, he grabs my foot and pulls me  which makes Joel land with his back on the stairs and without leaving me any room to react, he jumps on top of Joel and finishes me with one smash on the head!

I cant even tell how surprised i was when that happened, did not see it coming at all!!

( i noticed enemies in Survivor really start to panic the less of them they remain, like if you manage to kill most of them and only 1-2 guys remain they will move very cautiously and check every corner, turn around to check their backs etc, there was this instance where the last guy spotted me and he just started running, i must have been chasing him for about 2-3 minutes before i finally cornered him and shot his head clean XD   in general they do seem to become more self preserving)

there was this instance where the last guy spotted me and he just started running, i must have been chasing him for about 2-3 minutes

That sounds awesome. Never happened to me in my 17 hr playthrough. A chase that long....sounds awesome

Well, I'm 2 hours 15 minutes into my Survivor playthrough so we'll see

Message 25 of 64 (248 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 19, 2013
i cant remember the exact details, but im certain there was one instance where the enemy was doing his best to avoid me

to be specific i wasnt running after him for 2 minutes straight, it's just that i lost sight of him a couple times since he was good at getting around corners/rooms and every time i found him the chase would resume XD

i kind of exaggerated on the length, the whole thing was more like about 1 and a half minutes but still it felt pretty tense and fun, really brought to mind that E3 demo with the chase near the end

certainly not every encounter in the game will be full of surprises and so well paced as they showed at last E3 and the AI may act strange from time to time, but overall it's amazing, the goods far outweight the bads and i find the more i play the game, the more i start to realise all the work they've put behind it and discover little details in the AI behavior, the graphics, the scenery etc

ND really have put a stupid amount of work in this game, i mean like unnecessary amount of details XD

Message 26 of 64 (234 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jun 19, 2013
The AI is the best i've seen by a large margain.

Also =>
I didn't know this but if you equip your shotgun, aim with it and then instantly stop aiming and hit square, he will use the shotgun to hit the guy to the ground. Aim at him with the shotgun and he will plead for his life, then hit again and he will finish him with the butt of the shotgun just like in the E3 demo!
Message 27 of 64 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I'm gonna try that now Aldro.

Message 28 of 64 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Jun 19, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

JOSH55886 wrote:

It's disappointing because ND advertised this AI as amazingly life-like before launch, and I was going to buy the game based off that (wound up recieving it as a gift) and when I played through it I was very disappointed it reacted so poorly at times.

ND said they had to dumb down the human AI because it was too difficult

Message 29 of 64 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Jun 19, 2013

If they could make that level before, then there's no reason the game couldn't be like that.

Message 30 of 64 (183 Views)
0 Likes