First Son
10 posts

Re: Enemy AI

Jun 23, 2013
All I really want it for the AI to notice me faster and have better FOV. As when they see me they are smart as ****!
Message 51 of 64 (241 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Try playing on survivor and you have to try to experiment with ai to get a certain reaction because never react the same way to a situation.
Message 52 of 64 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
260 posts

Jun 23, 2013

harrisj16 wrote:

mujahein66 wrote:
Its impossible to please some people' even with an amazing game like this. Smh.

We are pleased with the game.  It's just that the E3 demo showed AI like no one has ever seen.  ND said that demo wasn't scripted at all.  It could have been scripted, or it may be real but they just removed some of the features (such as disarming enemies and enemies hiding and ambushing you), or a combination of both.  ND really built up the hype about the "balance of power AI", but it turned out the AI wasn't really like what they showed at all.  At times, the AI was better than a lot of games out there, but they promised one thing and then gave us a much lower quality version.  Still one hell of a game though.  

Disarming is in the game. Enemies do hide and ambush you. It's int here yet the A.I was dumbed down and doesn't use these tactics as frequently. People have seen them do this, as have I. So no, not everyone has not seen these features.

Yes it is of lower quality but doesn't mean they took these features out, there is just THAT many variations for the A.I to tackle a situation. 

As well as this, if you act too quickly then yes, the A.I can bug out and not keep up as it was designed a specific slow pace.

How much ammo, angle, what objects are nearby, what location/level... a lot factors into what the A.I actually does and happens, as well as how well you are doing overall in that area. THAT'S the balance of power.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 53 of 64 (201 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put an option, in a future patch, to have the enemy AI detect the friendly AI, so we can all be happy.

Nope. They would also need to fix the friendly AI from being so stupid. They need to get the friendly AI to hide properly before letting the enemy AI be alerted by their presence, while your still being stealthy, because they can obviously see each other when they are not being stealthy.

Christ you're stupid. It's people like you who ruin games in general, people who have never worked with AI and don't know the technicalities behind it.  It's not as simple as getting the friendly AI to "hide properly" - there are constraints around space between you and companions, around the objects they need to hide against, and then there's the fact that you have to pinpoint enemy location in relation to both cover and the friendly AI, all while avoiding the player character, who may be moving at the time, all of which may create game breaking glitches due to inner contradictions with the scripting involved. I'm pretty sure the way they did it is right about as close as they could get to having intelligent and stealthy AI. The reason friendly AI is always running around is to catch up with you and to stay behind cover - the alternative is to move extremely slowly and to be unrealistically out in the open. If the enemy AI could notice them like you want them to, it would almost entirely destroy the stealth aspect of the game.

Do you know anything about pathfinding and the scripts you write for AI? No, you don't, because almost every post you've made with a criticism of the AI is filled with contradictions. I personally abhor the friendly AI too, but at the same time, I'm perfectly fine with it, because the alternative in having the enemy AI notice them is unrealistic and crippling to the way this game is played. Here, you're able to largely "do your own thing" without being limited by independantly acting AI.

Message 54 of 64 (192 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

I would like ND to come clean on the AI, cause its not as good as the original playthrough demo we saw. May I assume the Ps3's hardware limitations got in the way of their ambition?

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 55 of 64 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 23, 2013

theironlotus93 wrote:

EyeCue86 wrote:

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put an option, in a future patch, to have the enemy AI detect the friendly AI, so we can all be happy.

Nope. They would also need to fix the friendly AI from being so stupid. They need to get the friendly AI to hide properly before letting the enemy AI be alerted by their presence, while your still being stealthy, because they can obviously see each other when they are not being stealthy.

Christ you're stupid. It's people like you who ruin games in general, people who have never worked with AI and don't know the technicalities behind it.  It's not as simple as getting the friendly AI to "hide properly" - there are constraints around space between you and companions, around the objects they need to hide against, and then there's the fact that you have to pinpoint enemy location in relation to both cover and the friendly AI, all while avoiding the player character, who may be moving at the time, all of which may create game breaking glitches due to inner contradictions with the scripting involved. I'm pretty sure the way they did it is right about as close as they could get to having intelligent and stealthy AI. The reason friendly AI is always running around is to catch up with you and to stay behind cover - the alternative is to move extremely slowly and to be unrealistically out in the open. If the enemy AI could notice them like you want them to, it would almost entirely destroy the stealth aspect of the game.

Do you know anything about pathfinding and the scripts you write for AI? No, you don't, because almost every post you've made with a criticism of the AI is filled with contradictions. I personally abhor the friendly AI too, but at the same time, I'm perfectly fine with it, because the alternative in having the enemy AI notice them is unrealistic and crippling to the way this game is played. Here, you're able to largely "do your own thing" without being limited by independantly acting AI.

Please do not say his name in vain. 

So you talk a big talk, but when it comes down to it you don't know jack **bleep** about it either.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 56 of 64 (159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 24, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

theironlotus93 wrote:

EyeCue86 wrote:

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

So you talk a big talk, but when it comes down to it you don't know jack **bleep** about it either.

Feel free to give me examples of better AI that don't make sacrifices to other aspects of the game. I do script a decent bit and I know a fair few indie game designers, and trust me, it's not nearly as easy as you would try and believe.

And actually, if you're trying to call people out on saying "Christ," you're just trying too hard to troll. I didn't want to be an annoying trollwhistle blower like everyone else is trying to do to you, but no one gets their panties in a bunch over that on the internet, especially when they swear themselves.

Enjoy trying to rustle jimmies though. Hope you have fun.

Message 57 of 64 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 24, 2013

theironlotus93 wrote:

EyeCue86 wrote:

theironlotus93 wrote:

EyeCue86 wrote:

rickyEfs_97 wrote:

Feel free to give me examples of better AI that don't make sacrifices to other aspects of the game. I do script a decent bit and I know a fair few indie game designers, and trust me, it's not nearly as easy as you would try and believe.

And actually, if you're trying to call people out on saying "Christ," you're just trying too hard to troll. I didn't want to be an annoying trollwhistle blower like everyone else is trying to do to you, but no one gets their panties in a bunch over that on the internet, especially when they swear themselves.

Enjoy trying to rustle jimmies though. Hope you have fun.

I happen to think that ND's Uncharted 3 AI was better because it did what it was supposed to well. The Last of Us AI is all over the place. One minute it's going great and the next they become as stupid as a ND fanboy on any given day. I don't think that creating AI is a simple task, but I believe that ND should have been capable of giving us the AI they advertised at the E3 demo.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 58 of 64 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Well, at the least I can back Aldro up on finishing off people with your shotgun. I found it easy now. I'm sure you're all capable of getting them to lie down and beg for their lifes, well instead of shooting, just aim and press square. I actually killed this guy in 2 hit, I didn't punch or shoot him before hand, I went up from behind, ran into the punch so I could hit him harder, and it was a punch with my shotgun, he instantly fell down, I aimed with the shotgun, pressed square and got him knocked out, did that twice in a row, seems people can't get that often. I did play really slow though, I did notice that... Play slow and they're better, but if you charge in they can become really dumb.

Message 59 of 64 (104 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Jun 24, 2013

On my 2nd playthrough - Survivor mode, and gotta say, the AI is pretty good - I originally said Decent, but the way I play, the enemy AI reacts pretty decent - some areas better than others, but definitely pretty good

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 60 of 64 (100 Views)
0 Likes