Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 02 2013
By: Banjo_aus Lombax Warrior 153 posts

Food in TLOU = poor design choice

18 replies 703 views Edited Jun 2, 2013

I was kind of hoping for some sort of "hunger" system in TLOU, forcing you to find food and water to stay alive, but I can live with that not being in the game despite how well it would fit the setting.

What I DO hate is how the game has implemented "food" as magical instant healing items THAT YOU CANNOT PICK UP!

One of my pet peeves in games are healing items like this (food, medipacks, whatever the game calls them) where you cannot take them, you need to use them where they sit... even though there's NO reason you couldn't pick them up and save them for when they're needed. Old school FPS were hugely guilty of this; you could carry a dozen huge guns but if you didn't need healing right now, you had to leave that medpack on the ground and come back for it later.

I can deal with food "healing", even though that doesn't really make sense; most games that don't have hunger/thirst needs use food as first aid. I'd rather that than have no food items at all. But the way food heals instantly, while using medkits takes time, annoys me. It would take just as much time to rip open an energy bar and eat the whole thing as it would to bandage a cut leg!

How would I have preferred to see food handled (without "needs")? Definitely make it "takeable" so we can lug it around with us, and make eating it take time, even *longer* than using a medkit ("quick fix") but have food heal more health (perhaps even "overe time" rather than in one hit like a medkit). Still simple yet MUCH more realistic, IMO.

Message 1 of 19 (703 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Re: Food in TLOU = poor design choice

Jun 2, 2013

Wait, what?

Message 2 of 19 (695 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Jun 2, 2013

What are you talking about lol?

You talking about suppliments? If you are, they don't heal you, they are used to upgrade your "survival skills." The only way to heal yourself is by crafting a med kit.

sig.png

Message 3 of 19 (691 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

^No, I mean the cans of food and (I assume) "power bars" you find in the game. It's possible to not even notice them, I'll give you that, especailly since it's hard to lose health in the demo until the final part.

Replay the bit where you have to throw bottles to distract a Clicker. As you creep around the counter, you'll pass a candy/power/something bar in a wrapper. If you've got less than full health, you can "use" it and heal. If not, the HUD will say "Full" (as it does when you try to pick up a second brick or bottle). There are more in the office area of the final Runner/Clicker fight, as well as at least one "can of food" (fruit?) in that same room on Easy.

That's what I was calling "food": items that heal when picked up but can't be taken into your backpack/inventory.

Message 4 of 19 (659 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
604 posts

Jun 2, 2013

Sure, I'd have liked food to have a place in the game for healing purposes or so but I think it's a bit uneccessary. Standard healing kits are fine with me. I don't think you've noticed but games rarely animate characters eating food very well, it's a pretty tough job on the animators - therefore it's just a waste of time and resources for such a tiny addition to the game. 

It'd be good to see them have a bite in at least one cutscene simply because it'd be realistic and in this apocalypitc scenario everyone would be frikin' starving.

Message 5 of 19 (631 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013
While I'd have liked to have a "hunger" system requiring food (similar to Disaster Report's thirst would have been enough), I can live without it in TLOU. As for animation, just holding to mouth and food disappears would be fine with me... Especially since we'd be looking at Joel from behind most of the time.

I am talking about the food that IS in the game as a healing item, though. The candy bar items you can eat to regain health but can't take with you in your pack. If so few people noticed them, maybe that's further proof that these items are poorly implementd. :smileysad:
Message 6 of 19 (582 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Jun 2, 2013
hunger like in Fallout New Vegas for example? you know when you play on hardest difficulty.
Maybe there will be something like that when you will play "survivor mode" difficulty?

Well I'm just guessing here
 photo YT01.png
Made by Carrioner photo GoWMYSIGNATURE.jpg
[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/Carrioner/][img]http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/Carrioner.png[/img][/url]
Message 7 of 19 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013
That is what I was hoping for (I never play FNV without that mode!), with food just healing on lower difficulties but staving off a hunger meter on Survivor. However, the way they have implemented food that can't be picked up, I sadly can't see it happening even with a patch.

Under how it works currently, I'd settle for food just healing but able to be put in your pack. Are they saying we can fit a brick in there but not a candy bar?!
Message 8 of 19 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

ND wouldnt do something so risky.

Metal Gear Solid 3 tried to do something like this. It was a huge part of the game, & it kinda sucked. It was a nice idea, but it became more of an annoyance later in the game.

I dunno, it just seems kinda silly. 

Joel wouldn't be able to throw punches as fast, because he didnt eat that Snickers bar he found 2 miles back....:smileyfrustrated:

Message 9 of 19 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jun 2, 2013

I know exactly what you are talking about. I passed by a couple bars of food while playing the demo.

I threw away my brick and tried to pick it up, but still couldn't. It did seem strange to me. But, I'm around 90% sure that it is just because this is a demo. I'm sure the food will be able to be picked up in the full game.
We'll see how they implment it on June 14th.

Message 10 of 19 (320 Views)
0 Likes