Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 21 2013
By: Howlin_Forever First Son 1 posts

For those who've played Bioshock Infinite, who else loved Ellie more than Elizabeth?

8 replies 353 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

Don't get me wrong. I admire what Ken Levine and the guys at Irrational did to make Elizabeth into a character worthy of praise, considering the mostly disappointing portrayals of women in video games. She's smart, she's strong, she's helpful, she's got some character quirks that flesh her out, and she's got her own motivations that drive her forward. 

It's just that I find Ellie so much more compelling. She isn't as powerful as Elizabeth. She has a very temperemental atittude that can be off-putting. She isn't as immediately useful as Elizabeth in-game. She can be rather selfish. And yet, she had me believing in her personal journey so much more. I grew to be more attached to her than Elizabeth. Her relationships with not just Joel but with the rest of the TLOU cast showed all the facets of her character; from her admiration of Tess to her begrudging respect of Bill all the way to her playful side being with Sam.

The small moments she has with Joel when you're exploring the barren wastelands of post-acolaypse America also managed to give her that sense of innocence that proved to be a great balance to her rebellious nature (and shockingly funny potty mouth).

She had her fears and weaknesses that kept her grounded, and she had the bravery to overcome them all.

I get into a little more detail in this little post I wrote. Feel free to check it out and tell me why I'm wrong! :smileyvery-happy:

Who else feels this way, and who actually leans in favor of the girl who'll wipe away Booker's debts?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (353 Views)
Splicer
68 posts

Re: For those who've played Bioshock Infinite, who else loved Ellie more than Elizabeth?

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2013

I think Ellie was a lot more compelling than Elizabeth (funny how similiar their names are).  Don't get me wrong, I thought Elizabeth was the best thing about Bioshock Infinite, but it just seemed that she was too strange.  For instance, Elizabeth completely freaked out when you first killed someone, but a minute later she is tossing you ammo to kill more people.  It just didn't make sense to me.

All in all, I couldn't agree with you more!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (332 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Re: For those who've played Bioshock Infinite, who else loved Ellie more than Elizabeth?

Jul 21, 2013

I never had any attachment to Elizabeth whatsoever... 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (258 Views)
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 21, 2013
I can't even decide. Both are really naive at first and I really wanted to protect them both.

Videogames with girl companions nowadays are making me care too much. Elizabeth, Ellie, and Clementine... aggghhhh
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
364 posts

Jul 21, 2013

See, I don't think FPS's can portray great stories, Portal being the only exception. The gameplay in BioShock Infinite detracted from the experience as a whole. I can't stress enough how generic and un-innovative the combat was, and that made me disinterested in the whole story. So yes, I think Ellie was infinitely (ha ha) more interesting than Elizabeth.

Signature Size for Contest July TLOU photo FINALSARAH_zpse2590fe2.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (229 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I can make no comparison between the two really.  Ellie wins my affection hands down.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I'm just gonna throw a curveball here: while I love both of them, I would go with Elizabeth, simply because I identified more with her. I feel like it took longer for me to see what sort of person Ellie was, yet you see various sides to Liz within an hour of meeting her.

I have a few other reasons, but that's all I have that's worth 2 cents :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
32 posts

Jul 21, 2013

feel exactly the same way as @pyrobmaster, i think ken levine and the studio had to sacrifice the story in order to reach out to the bro shooter audience and sell more games. The generic shooting aspect took away from the immersion and reminded you that you were still playing a game. Its atmosphere is not close to TLOU nor Bioshock 1, there is no desperation, no reality, Booker is a killing machine who can run in the middle of twenty guys and kill em quite easily. It was a very good game but not on the level of TLOU. Also Elizabeth was a good character, but she was still a video game character. Ellie made you forget that she wasnt real and made you form a bond with her on another level. At least for me. Anyway thats my 2cents

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2013

Ellie felt like a real girl with emotions, hobbies, likes and dislikes.  Elizabeth felt like a pristine girl next door thrown into an Inception like story.  She didn't feel like a real person.   She was a good character, but Elizabeth and Booker's character development cannot hold a candle to Joel and Ellie's. 

So I like Ellie much more.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (152 Views)
0 Likes