I Only Post Everything
1249 posts

Re: GTA V Story completed. Does it beat The Last of Us?

Oct 11, 2013

WinterEdit wrote:

conquerator3 wrote:
Beyond!
No, seriously, I dig that game.
Contrary to what people say, it's up there with TLoU in terms of emotions and bonds.
The writing does not touch it though and acting is a bit dubious at times but in terms of sheer emotion, it matches it evenly for me.
Plus it's different enough to appreciate IMO

You have Beyond? What would you rate it as in scale of 1-10? I checked the US IGN review for that only to see 6/10 given for it. Asking because I'm interested if I should try it. And yeah, I know it's "interactive movie" like Heavy Rain (if I am correct), but I don't mind.

Well I am about halfway through now and I definitely like it as much as Heavy Rain.

The story is not as coherrent but every scene was intense so far, as in either something interesting happened or it was very tense and action packed.

Though it obviously feels like HR, which is a good thing.

There is not much I don't like. The writing/acting is a mixed bag sometimes, the story is not in sequence, rather it jumps around a lot, but if you are at least as clever as your average monkey, you should be able to connect it together [there is even a timeline for it...]

I'd say 8/10 if I count in the sometimes less than stelar writing and acting. A 9/10 if you don't care all that much about that and are in it for the story/tension/emotions [like HR]

It is a bit more tense than HR, IMO. You don't have as many characters to care about but if you try at least a bit, you should start to care about Jodie soon enough [much like with Ellie for me].

It is about as sad as HR, but perhaps slightly less [though there was one particular scene with little Jodie where I was very close to crying, while I wasn't at such point at any time during TLoU]. They are playing it on the emotions a lot here, which works for me :smileyvery-happy:

I am not really sure why it got 6 and 7s from GT/IGN, but Gamespot gave it a 9 and I guess I could agree with that.

Feel free to ask away, if you want to know anything else.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 40 (522 Views)
Welcoming Committee
12605 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

GTA's shooting mechanics are probably the worst out of any video game I've ever played.

Same goes for RDR and Max Payne.

Rockstar do not understand shooting nor aiming mechanics at all. They are always very poor and substandard beyond any other game on the market.

GTA's story is way way way better than TLOU's though, shame they were too lazy to upgrade the 2001 feel of the all round gameplay.

The only all round great games I've played this year are Tomb Raider and Beyond: Two Souls

TLOU nor GTA are anywhere near the level set by those two.

The flipside however. Tomb Raider has MP which should never exist because it was shockingly bad, and Beyond has no MP.

So.. There is more replay value to GTA and TLOU.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 40 (516 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6081 posts

Oct 11, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

GTA's shooting mechanics are probably the worst out of any video game I've ever played.

Rockstar do not understand shooting nor aiming mechanics at all. They are always very poor and substandard beyond any other game on the market.

GTA's story is way way way better than TLOU's though, shame they were too lazy to upgrade the 2001 feel of the all round gameplay.

The only all round great games I've played this year are Tomb Raider and Beyond: Two Souls

The flipside however. Tomb Raider has MP which should never exist because it was shockingly bad, and Beyond has no MP.

It has better shooting mechanics than any 3rd person shooter out there, IMO.

2pac.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 40 (508 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
541 posts

You can't compare those games. And TLOU is superior to ev...

Oct 11, 2013

You can't compare those games. And TLOU is superior to everything anyway :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 40 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12605 posts

Oct 11, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

It has better shooting mechanics than any 3rd person shooter out there, IMO.

It has the same shooting mechanics as Grand Theft Auto 3 on PS2... Same with GTA iV. GTA V and RDR. Rockstar haven't touched those sticky feeling, unplayable controls for over 10 years.

Thats why they have auto aim mode because they know the other mode is broken.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 40 (494 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1249 posts

Oct 11, 2013
Just finished Beyond.

The call still stands.

A few weird things and a bunch of clumsy dialogues but I have a good feeling about it.

The game turned out kinda said at the end :/ Though not as depressing as HR YET [I went with the save all most happy ending approach but eh, not as cheerful as HR's, so there are still worse things to come ... ]
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 40 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12605 posts

Oct 11, 2013

conquerator3 wrote:
Just finished Beyond.

The call still stands.

A few weird things and a bunch of clumsy dialogues but I have a good feeling about it.

The game turned out kinda said at the end :/ Though not as depressing as HR YET [I went with the save all most happy ending approach but eh, not as cheerful as HR's, so there are still worse things to come ... ]

I'm going to put this in a spoiler.

Spoiler
Did you actually kill Jodie's mom? I didn't even think it was an option. lol. It is though.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 40 (473 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1249 posts

Oct 12, 2013
No I didn't as I was going for the all saved. Though I noticed the option and thought it'd be better for her...

Oh well!
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 40 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12605 posts

Oct 12, 2013

conquerator3 wrote:
No I didn't as I was going for the all saved. Though I noticed the option and thought it'd be better for her...

Oh well!

Lucky you. I thought it wasn't even optional as it was kind of hinting at me to do it.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 40 (447 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1249 posts

Oct 12, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

conquerator3 wrote:

Oh well!

Lucky you. I thought it wasn't even optional as it was kind of hinting at me to do it.

Yeah, well I noticed in time :]

Though I think all the endings are kinda sad :/

In HR there was that ending where Ethan, Madison and Shaun move into that huge, new house and everyone is happy.

Here... I guess only the ending with Ryan [and Aiden] is. Rest was always somewhat depressing, though Ryan really cares for Jodie so I guess it is the right ending...

Too bad Dawkins dies no matter what :/ He was always good to Jodie, much better than her surrogate father. At least Cole is still there... if you save him... and Jay and the guys at Navajo... and Stan and Zoey and Walter...

It's a depressing game :smileyvery-happy:

Oh, yeah...                                  S P O I L E R  A L E R T  ! ! !

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 40 (443 Views)
0 Likes