Dec 07 2013
By: Aldro I Only Post Everything 872 posts

GTAV won GOTY @ VGX Awards

29 replies 723 views Edited Dec 7, 2013

These are all from Polygon when speaking to Geoff about the new show (VGX):

"This year the show's winners were told ahead of time they won so the winners could create their own acceptance videos."

"Rockstar Games are flying the entire Rockstar North development team into LA from Edinburgh, Scotland for the show."

"You'll see those running in the lead up to the show, inside the show and we will be doing game of the year as a live acceptance as well."

There's also a GTAV concert there.

And if you've taken a look at the Council Advisory that vote, there are 3 Polygon people there and 1 Official Xbox Magazine guy.(I had to throw it out there).

So there you have it folkes. Congratulations to Rockstar game.

Seriously though, Naughty Dog was **bleep** robbed.

Message 1 of 30 (723 Views)
Wastelander
595 posts

Re: GTAV won GOTY @ VGX Awards

Dec 7, 2013

I'm not surprised.  Rockstar games always overhyped and a bit overrated imo.  I really liked gta 5. it was def better than gta4, but I liked The Last of us much more. 

I knew last of us wouldn't have a shot against a game like gta. GTA4 has like a 98 metacritic rating.  Imo that game was trash, and a lot of people disliked it that i know.  Goes to show how much the gaming sites overrate GTA games

Message 2 of 30 (711 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1993 posts

Dec 7, 2013

Agreed. GTA5 was really good. But in my opinion, it was filled things that I just couldn't get into. It was pretty annoying in GTA5 when you couldn't get into the buildings that seem like it was made to go inside. And I don't know about you, but I didn't find the humor or the parody of modern society as amusing as most people did. I prefer the more serious vibe of TLOU. TLOU was more of an experience to me. I think it serves more as a game filled with shocking moments more than any other game thus far. And although GTA5 was good, I found TLOU slighly better. I also enjoyed Red Dead Redemption more than GTA5, despite that game being a lot older. Gotta love the old west Smiley Wink

young beard signature
Message 3 of 30 (704 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Dec 7, 2013
The biggest factor to why TLOU was better than GTAV, is because of the writing. GTAV is in your face with Trevor and all the characters. TLOU is far more subtle and belivable.

There are other things too like the narration and overall story being rather meh in GTAV (but hey, you can drive over people!).

True shame because when you look back on this year or generation: You won't think about GTAV. Hell when GTAVI comes out, GTAV will just be tossed aside because the games are generally the same games just bigger and better.

TLOU on the other hand is the game we'll look to when it comes to borderline masterful writing and conveying that in a believable world where your actions are well incorporated to the overall story as well.

Such a **bleep** shame.
Message 4 of 30 (640 Views)
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Dec 7, 2013

**bleep** it!    This day is full of disappointments.

Message 5 of 30 (631 Views)
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 7, 2013

dark_doc wrote:

**bleep** it!    This day is full of disappointments.

Indeed, I already thinking of selling GTAV because there's no point to playing it.

GTAV

Story: Don't want to play it again.

Characters: Trevor is good for a bit of madness. (Although Sheogerath from the Elder scrolls series truly makes me enjoy his speech more than Trevor saying "FUCIKGN **bleep**!")

Multiplayer: You need friends to enjoy it.

Environment: I wasn't sucked in that much, I liked New york though like in GTAIV. 

Graphics: Surely, they are good so no contest here.

Last of us

Story: Replaying it now.

Charcters: Joel and Ellie were like a life-long lesson, to keep to my very heart nice and warm.

Multiplayer: Holy hell, I don't even need friends to enjoy multiplayer!

Environment: PLaying through it again, I just got sucked in the moment of the environment with a sense that I feel like I'm actually there. It's rare that games do that and Last of us just does multiple of times.

Graphics: Better than my fully modded Skyrim on the PC.

Conclusion:

GTAV 6/10- I would da sold it if it weren't for my friends.

Last of us: 11/10-No reason to say, it's easily game of the century for me or... hopefully, Series of the Century.

The call for a companion in a post-apocalypse is needed in order to survive and die together with.
Message 6 of 30 (561 Views)
Lombax Warrior
81 posts

Dec 8, 2013
I agree that TLOU should've won over GTA although easy for me to say because I'm not a big GTA fan, but I believe a contributing factor to it winning was multi-platform. Can you imagine how many people would've voted for TLOU if it was on Xbox too and not just ps3 exclusive? (although we all know it's never going to happen lol) but also GTA has a massive following because it is a long series of games people have been playing them for ages.
Message 7 of 30 (547 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Dec 8, 2013
Called it
Message 8 of 30 (539 Views)
Naughty Paw
9731 posts

Dec 8, 2013
Message 9 of 30 (518 Views)
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Dec 8, 2013

Journey.  That was the game that was robbed.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 10 of 30 (488 Views)
0 Likes