Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 12 2013
By: curtainman1 I Only Post Everything 1104 posts

Give disc owners the option to install the game to their HDD

[ Edited ]
9 replies 1575 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

I think it's bull that people who buy the game digitally from PS Store get to have faster load times than those who have a physical copy.

To anyone who doesn't understand.. What I mean by installing the game to your HDD, I mean that you install the whole game but you would still need the disc to play it. Just like how you have the option to install any game to your HDD on the Xbox 360. In no way whatsoever do I mean install the whole game to your HDD and never need the disc again.

Just look at this comparison video for Uncharted 3. The difference is pretty huge.

Will an option be patched in later? I hope so because it would definitely make the game even better. I own all three UC games digital now and it's a lot better than playing on disc.

You can do this with ANY game you own on the Xbox 360 (like I mentioned above). There's no reason why a PS3 game (especially one as big as 26gb) shouldn't have this.

---------------
I am real super sand legend!
Message 1 of 10 (1,575 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

Re: Give disc owners the option to install the game to their HDD

Jun 12, 2013

Install the full game? People would just buy a hard copy, install the game on the HDD, then sell the copy they just bought to get their money back. It's not a good idea. 

Message 2 of 10 (1,551 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4922 posts

Jun 12, 2013
^ This. Can't be said any better than ^ this.
 photo Untitled-1_zps6a2e69f8.jpg
Message 3 of 10 (1,537 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 12, 2013

HoodlumX wrote:

Install the full game? People would just buy a hard copy, install the game on the HDD, then sell the copy they just bought to get their money back. It's not a good idea. 

The disc would still need to be in the drive for it to work similar to how the 360 works. 

Message 4 of 10 (1,535 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

HoodlumX wrote:

The disc would still need to be in the drive for it to work similar to how the 360 works. 

That's what I was saying in the OP. Of course it should work the way the Xbox 360 does it (like Zidane mentioned). The 360 gives you the option to install any game to your HDD but you would still need the disc to play it.

Installing the game has benefits..

- Faster load times (like I already said)

- Less wear on the disc drive (or the disc)

- PS3 runs quieter (I think, not completely sure)

---------------
I am real super sand legend!
Message 5 of 10 (1,504 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1209 posts

Jun 12, 2013

I have no problem with an install as long as the disk was in the drive....it would run faster, for sure

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 6 of 10 (1,456 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Jun 12, 2013

This isn't anything new, there are lots of PS3 games that have an install feature, all it does is install certain files to the hard drive so that the game runs better and loads faster, you still need the disc to play the game...

TLOU should have that feature, if it doesn't i have no idea why ND didn't put it in.

Message 7 of 10 (1,418 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Jun 15, 2013

The difference is 360 is a DVD which is less than 5gb.  The digital copy of uncharted is close to 40gb.  I can't even download it to my 300 gb hard drive without deleting lots of games and videos.  I can only imagine the size of TLOU, probably also around 40gb.  It eats up a lot of disc space so you have to manage your content more or keep changing your hard drive.

I like this as an option but there are some issues like hard drive space and potential piracy.  Once someone figures out how to trick the system into thinking the disc is a ligitimate copy of TLOU they will just sell the disc.  The fact the xbox does this is probably why they are going with DRM on the Xbox one.  I haven't seen any DRM that people haven't eventually figured a way around.  If you want to download the disc just buy the digital copy it makes more sense. 

Message 8 of 10 (1,272 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jun 15, 2013
The HD is way faster than the 2x speed of the bluray for reading. Makes way more sense to install.
Message 9 of 10 (1,254 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 15, 2013

ND will always tell you to buy the game from the PS store. $$$$$$$$$$$

Anyway, kudos to the OP. I think it's sad that most people don't really understand the technical merits of a HDD install. The irony is that many of them can't even load the game. Apparently they haven't heard of Nemesis.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 10 of 10 (1,198 Views)
0 Likes