Jul 11 2013
By: TheFunnyMan-- I Only Post Everything 1084 posts

Great Character Details Looking Back on Story (Spoilers)

2 replies 240 views Edited Jul 11, 2013

After beating the game the my 3rd time (on Survivor +), there were plenty of things I noticed about the character's and their actions that showed great stroytelling and attention to detail the Naughty Dog team did.

1) "Baby Girl". Joel called Sarah his "baby girl" for obvious reasons. And during the cinematic when Ellie machetes the hell out of David and Joel is trying to calm her down, he calls her "baby girl", showing how much Joel cares for Ellie now. He also calls her "baby girl" again while picking her up off the surgery table at the end of the game.

2) "There will come a time when kids can be kids again". Not sure if that is worded exactly right, but this is what Henry said after the event with Ellie and Sam playing darts. I dont know about yall, but that scene/phrase was going threw my head the entire giraffe scene. Beautiful. Ellie was finally gettin to act like a kid, with no worries, just marveling at the giraffes.

3) The Watch. At the end of the game, when Ellie is telling Joel about how she is struggling with 'survivor's guilt' (right before she makes him swear about the fireflies). Joel says, "I struggled a long time with survivin..." while he says that he reaches over and briefly graps the watch...the now broken watch that Sarah gave him...He struggled with how he lived and his daughter didnt. Just that quick, unnecessary grasp of the watch was such a marvelous detail Naughty Dog added. Superb.

Naughty Dog....what a masterpiece..

Any other little things like these that caught yall's attention?

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Message 1 of 3 (240 Views)
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Re: Great Character Details Looking Back on Story (Spoilers)

Jul 11, 2013
I can't think of any one particular instance, but the latter half of the game showed a great transition from Ellie and Joel's smuggler/cargo relationship into a father/daughter relationship.

I caught the "baby girl" moments as well. The "kids can be kids again" line I didn't pay too much mind to though, as in the TLOU universe, that isn't going to happen.

Joel's watch played a decent sized role throughout the game in my mind. As you said, I believe it represents both Joel's struggles and times lost. In the North Tunnel when Ellie points out that his watch is broken, this extraneous bit of dialog adds deeper insight into the characters' thoughts. I'm surprised Ellie says this, as who would expect a watch to be working twenty years after their manufacturing has expired?

Sorry I can't provide more specific examples, it's late here and I'm distracted with my fourth playthrough of this masterpiece that Naughty Dog has created.
Message 2 of 3 (225 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Re: Great Character Details Looking Back on Story (Spoilers)

Jul 11, 2013
David. the way he looks, the way he held ellies hand as she was in a cage. the way he speaks.

they did a good job detailed out David as the biggest creeper I have ever seen in a video game except for jrpgs.

Message 3 of 3 (182 Views)
0 Likes