Jun 26 2013
By: Backlotbasher Wastelander 847 posts

Has anyone completed Survivor mode?

20 replies 703 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

If so, I'm wondering how you handled the part of the game where you reach the end of that tunnel, and find all the bloaters and infected.  You seem to have to clear them before you can hoist Ellie up over the bus.  I found this section to be a HUGE drain on resources on the Hard setting, so I can't even imagine how to do it on Survivor.  Is there any way to get out of there without wiping all the infected out?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (703 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3947 posts

Re: Has anyone completed Survivor mode?

Jun 26, 2013

Do you have any Motolovs or the flamethrower fuel? Light them on fire!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (695 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jun 26, 2013

You don't need to kill them all, just kill any runners in your way and sneak past the clickers and bloaters, they won't be attracted by Ellie kicking the crate down

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (688 Views)
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Throw a bottle, aim well so both bloaters and the clickers gather up, throw molotov, wait a bit, throw next one(or the shrapne bomb if you don't have more molotovs) and that should do it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (683 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
392 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

Yes, you can do this area without killing anything. I did it on Survivor and Survivor + just watch how they move, once you know their patterns sneak past them really slow. When you do it a few times it becomes a cake walk.

photo psd_signature_mass_effect_by_urrrrrrrrr-d4rckz9_zps4cdccc04.png
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (680 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Jun 26, 2013

I just beat the game on survivor. I didn't kill anyone. I just through bottles to get them to go away. But 2 bloaters decided to stay so I through a smoke grenade far away and it made a louder sound that lore the bloaters away. 

2.0+ K/D and 2.0 - 5.0+ W/L on any COD , BF3, Resistance 3, and The last of us
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (669 Views)
PlayStation MVP
17521 posts

Jun 26, 2013
Survivor mode, surprisingly, isn't that difficult. The only really hard thing about it is the lack of supplies you can find to craft things. Health isn't really a problem, since Ellie will give you a free health kit if your health is low enough.

Also, for anything Clicker/Bloater related, you can completely bypass areas with them just by sneaking past them. Simply kill any Runners in the area so you won't be visually spotted and then slowly crouch walk your way past any Clickers and Bloaters in the area. The Clickers and Bloaters will not respond to the crate hitting the ground at the end of the tunnel. The same thing goes with the Bloater in the University, but he WILL try to kill you trying to bust through the door. If you're fast enough pressing Square, you'll make it through, though.

There are two things you need to be aware of in Survivor:

1. Never craft Med Kits
2. Never use Shivs on enemies; only use Shivs on Shiv Doors

The reason for no Med Kits is because if your health is low enough and Ellie is nearby, she will eventually give you a Med Kit for free, saving you supplies. Save your supplies for other things, especially Molotovs.

There is no reason to Shiv Clickers or other enemies when shooting them is just as effective. Use your Shivs on Shiv Doors for extra supplies and supplements to boost Joel some more.

All in all, Survivor isn't that difficult, but it does really make you think about hoarding supplies and what you should make with them.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (648 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Jun 26, 2013

That area is littered with bottles and bricks for a reason. Make use of them, throw them as far away from the path you need to take to the end as you can so you draw their attention away from where you need to go.

There were a couple spots where I needed to use the bow to take out an enemy who was standing in my way, but I didn't have too much trouble during my Survivor and Survivor+ playthroughs. You'll definitely want to conserve your supplies.

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (615 Views)
Splicer
85 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

As jarekmaster said, throw a bottle to "gather them up" lob a molotov, and get them angry, let them chase you (clear out the utility building of those 3 runners first) once the bloaters are inside the building, run like hell out the other door to the bus, crouch and wait in the corner till the aggro wears off.

effyou
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (583 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7102 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
Survivor mode, surprisingly, isn't that difficult. The only really hard thing about it is the lack of supplies you can find to craft things. Health isn't really a problem, since Ellie will give you a free health kit if your health is low enough.

Also, for anything Clicker/Bloater related, you can completely bypass areas with them just by sneaking past them. Simply kill any Runners in the area so you won't be visually spotted and then slowly crouch walk your way past any Clickers and Bloaters in the area. The Clickers and Bloaters will not respond to the crate hitting the ground at the end of the tunnel. The same thing goes with the Bloater in the University, but he WILL try to kill you trying to bust through the door. If you're fast enough pressing Square, you'll make it through, though.

There are two things you need to be aware of in Survivor:

1. Never craft Med Kits
2. Never use Shivs on enemies; only use Shivs on Shiv Doors

The reason for no Med Kits is because if your health is low enough and Ellie is nearby, she will eventually give you a Med Kit for free, saving you supplies. Save your supplies for other things, especially Molotovs.

There is no reason to Shiv Clickers or other enemies when shooting them is just as effective. Use your Shivs on Shiv Doors for extra supplies and supplements to boost Joel some more.

All in all, Survivor isn't that difficult, but it does really make you think about hoarding supplies and what you should make with them.

You make "killing runners" sound so easy in survival mode. Unless I have some bow ammo, it's extremely hard to kill a runner stealthily for me. They almost ALWAYS hear me walking behind them, even if I'm pushing on L slightly and crouching. Even if my flashlight is off (even though that shouldn't matter.)

Is there something I'm doing wrong? They are the hardest enemies for me.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (548 Views)
0 Likes