Treasure Hunter
5547 posts

Re: How big will the multiplayer community be?

Jun 7, 2013

SLEAZE_IT_UP wrote:

There is NO reason to believe that this game woudl turn out any different from previous NDI titles with MP. 

Hmmm lets see...

- No Co-Op out of the box (not good)

- P2P connections on a 3rd NDI title for MP

- No mercs playlist option

- Clan will dominate

- Causuals wll be almost INSTANTLY turned off 

A lot of that list is bad news, except the fact that clans with dominate and casuals will be turned off. We finally (potentially) have a ND multiplayer where teamwork is encouraged rather than run-and-gun with no brain work. I'd much rather have a tactical game like this than a huge player pool.

Message 31 of 54 (235 Views)
Fender Bender
3078 posts

Jun 7, 2013

calcunnon wrote:

SLEAZE_IT_UP wrote:

There is NO reason to believe that this game woudl turn out any different from previous NDI titles with MP. 

Hmmm lets see...

- Clan will dominate

A lot of that list is bad news, except the fact that clans with dominate and casuals will be turned off. We finally (potentially) have a ND multiplayer where teamwork is encouraged rather than run-and-gun with no brain work. I'd much rather have a tactical game like this than a huge player pool.

That's a good point.  + 1.  I've ran with some amazing players in UC2 and UC3.  I'm telling you, they're really good COMP players.  They will figure out how to dominate.  The tactical stuff is good, but what if yer a random on team of fools against all the high level players that party up together?  How tactically sound will things be when yer playing with one idiot who is jagging off in the corner, another one that rushes in to get killed over and over and over again, and all the OTHER poor play scenarios that PUNISH the lone wolf again! 

Look.  I know I've complained BEFORE the game is out.  Some people get **bleep** about that.  Me?  I basing things off the HISTORY of what NDI has done.  Their decision making.  Their implementation. 

Why would the pattern change? 

Message 32 of 54 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Every game will be difficult for newbies, that's something which is a part of all competition. I don't see TLOU being particularly worse in that regard.

If anything the nature of its gameplay will encourage lone wolfs to make friends and play with a group (which appears to be what ND wants).
Message 33 of 54 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5547 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

SLEAZE_IT_UP wrote:

calcunnon wrote:

SLEAZE_IT_UP wrote:

Hmmm lets see...

- Clan will dominate

That's a good point.  + 1.  I've ran with some amazing players in UC2 and UC3.  I'm telling you, they're really good COMP players.  They will figure out how to dominate.  The tactical stuff is good, but what if yer a random on team of fools against all the high level players that party up together?  How tactically sound will things be when yer playing with one idiot who is jagging off in the corner, another one that rushes in to get killed over and over and over again, and all the OTHER poor play scenarios that PUNISH the lone wolf again!

Yeah dude, the game is going to suck for people who play with randomers, for sure. That's the nature of teamwork I suppose. I'll probably try to avoid playing on occasions that I can't team up with a friend.

Message 34 of 54 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3069 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Sucks that most devs don't include a lobby system. It would certainly solve alot of issues with quick match and being matched with people from various parts of the globe that have lousy connections.

Lobby system

Message 35 of 54 (201 Views)
Fender Bender
3494 posts

Jun 7, 2013

I know this guy did not just post a SOCOM III Lobby.. You're the best.. I miss those days.. 

Message 36 of 54 (169 Views)
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Jun 7, 2013
BF3 on consoles is great, not only does it use a browser in addition to traditional matchmaking but it also supports third-party dedicated servers.
Message 37 of 54 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3494 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

Being a competitve person by nature, I hate teams and I hate "casual" (AKA: Stupd; in terms of loligagging) people. The reason I hate teams though is because you have to depend on other people. I've known this since I was a 9 year old kid playing SOCOM lol.  

Some people are about fun, I get that. I play to win though.. Now that doesn't mean I CAN'T have fun or that I can't take a loss. I just want to win legit matches and always push to do so in any competitve game.

I don't like to say it but.. Friends/Clans are probably the best option to winning.. but see.. I don't like that type of winning either. There's nothing fun about being on a 5 man squad stomping on randoms, and there's nothing fun about being that random party either..

Its just difficult to get a grasp on and not something you can control. You have good games, and then you don't. Win or lose. 

Message 38 of 54 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Jun 8, 2013

There are a lot of players playing Uncharted 3 multiplayer.Competitive modes are always full of players and when someone quit during the game a new player is immediately found.This was the case with Uncharted 2 and will probably be with The Last of Us.

Message 39 of 54 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
520 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 8, 2013

"- No mercs playlist option" --- What is this?

If the playerpool is anywhere near Uncharted, it should be quite good at matching connections, because of having only 2 modes.

Now, about the game being unsavory for beginners, there are factors that can make things better or worse:

* A progression that gives veterans much more rawu power than beginners can have is bad.

*If the progression requires players to do specific stuff during matches, it is also bad.

These things makes beginners seating ducks. It sux to loose a confrontation because the other guy has am awesome loadout that you can't have anytime soon. And it sux to keep risking your life to taunt corpses.

KZ3, AC3 and Battlefield BC2 were examples of good progressions, that didn't have much of the bad stuff mentioned above. You could play these games without an abyssmal difference of power in relation to the veterans. And from the beginning you could actually focus on the matches, play the game for real; as opposed to do specific things to get the upgrades.

If the game has a good proggression, the player pool is likely to remain big for a longer while. But I'm not optimistic about TLOU's progression. From the info presented so far, it seems like it's gonna have a lot of that bad stuff. It seems like the designers only care about using the proggression to get players hooked up in the game; not caring if it makes them play badly or if it's unfair to relatively new players.

About the necessity of parties...

It is really a matter of the point system. If players are greatly rewarded for doing coop stuff, they will generally play tactically, even in random teams. BF is the finest example of this - the tactical stuff gives you half your points, pretty much. But if the point system rewards kills much more than coop stuff, there will be no big cooperation in random teams... so the parties will be a must and theyw ill dominate the games in a way that probably won't be fun (it happened in KZ3 and it was boring for both sides).

Message 40 of 54 (88 Views)
0 Likes